JT65HF Quit Decoding

  • Jim Brown
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2012
      I've used JT65HF off and on for perhaps 4 months, but not often, and
      only on the HF bands. A few days ago, I fired it up on 160M, and have
      made about 20 Qs. It was having occasional problems decoding signals
      that I could clearly see and hear, so this morning, I upgraded it to the
      current version. Since then, nothing decodes, and I see skewing of the
      display if I have auto correction turned on (in the setup screen). I've
      tried running with auto correction mode both on and off. Another
      potential interaction that MIGHT be involved in this failure is that I
      fired up MMTTY to try to work a DX spot (without success).

      In attempting to fix the problem, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the
      software and rebooted Windows.

      Any ideas?

      73, Jim K9YC
    • Lyle Fisher
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2012
        I was having the same problems with the new version of JT65HF occasionaly as well. I have switched back to the old version and decoding works better. The one thing I noticed on the new version is that it is more time sensitive. The clock on the computer and recieved signal must be set perfect or it will not decode. I know others have complained about the same problem with the new version.

        73, Lyle N0LWF

        __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5952 (20110314) __________

        http://www.eset.com
      • John - kc2rxs
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2012
          Hi Jim,

          Just last night I also had a problem with JT65-HF (v1.0.9.3) not decoding.

          Synchronizing with D4 didn't help, shutting down and restarting JT65-HF didn't help.

          I shut down the computer and restarted everything - then I had decodes again.

          This is the first time I have had this problem.

          Starting other programs can change the system clock, so make sure you use something

          to reset the clock, I use Dimension 4.

          Good Luck,

          73, John - kc2rxs

          On 1/1/2012 11:11 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

          I've used JT65HF off and on for perhaps 4 months, but not often, and
          only on the HF bands. A few days ago, I fired it up on 160M, and have
          made about 20 Qs. It was having occasional problems decoding signals
          that I could clearly see and hear, so this morning, I upgraded it to the
          current version. Since then, nothing decodes, and I see skewing of the
          display if I have auto correction turned on (in the setup screen). I've
          tried running with auto correction mode both on and off. Another
          potential interaction that MIGHT be involved in this failure is that I
          fired up MMTTY to try to work a DX spot (without success).

          In attempting to fix the problem, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the
          software and rebooted Windows.

          Any ideas?

          73, Jim K9YC

        • Sam Morgan
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2012
            What Operating System, Windows, but which one?

            --
            GB & 73
            K5OAI

            On 1/2/2012 9:30 AM, John - kc2rxs wrote:
            > Hi Jim,
            >

            > Just last night I also had a problem with JT65-HF (v1.0.9.3) not decoding.
            >
            > Synchronizing with D4 didn't help, shutting down and restarting JT65-HF didn't help.
            >
            > I shut down the computer and restarted everything - then I had decodes again.
            >
            > This is the first time I have had this problem.
            >

            > Starting other programs can change the system clock, so make sure you use something
            >
            > to reset the clock, I use Dimension 4.
            >

            > Good Luck,
            >
            > 73, John - kc2rxs
            >

            > On 1/1/2012 11:11 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
            >
            >> I've used JT65HF off and on for perhaps 4 months, but not often, and
            >> only on the HF bands. A few days ago, I fired it up on 160M, and have
            >> made about 20 Qs. It was having occasional problems decoding signals
            >> that I could clearly see and hear, so this morning, I upgraded it to the
            >> current version. Since then, nothing decodes, and I see skewing of the
            >> display if I have auto correction turned on (in the setup screen). I've
            >> tried running with auto correction mode both on and off. Another
            >> potential interaction that MIGHT be involved in this failure is that I
            >> fired up MMTTY to try to work a DX spot (without success).
            >>
            >> In attempting to fix the problem, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the
            >> software and rebooted Windows.
            >>
            >> Any ideas?
            >>
            >> 73, Jim K9YC
          • Jim Brown
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 2, 2012
              On 1/1/2012 8:11 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
              > In attempting to fix the problem, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the
              > software and rebooted Windows.

              Thanks for the responses. After tearing my hair for most of the evening
              trying to figure out what cockpit error might have caused this, I
              finally found it. I'm using a K3, and the button used to switch digital
              modes with a "long push" is used with a "tap" to turn AFX on and off.
              When setting the mode to AFSK to work that DX spot, I had accidentally
              turned AFX on. I turned it off and the decoder started working again.

              One other VERY important thing I've learned is that with a lot of QRN
              (this was on 160M), narrowing the IF bandwidth and centering it on my TX
              offset can help decode weaker signals. This is not surprising --
              computer sound cards are notoriously non-linear and most have far less
              dynamic range than the better ham rigs, so impulse noise can easily push
              them well into clip. When I asked Joe Taylor about narrowing the IF to
              improve S/N, he emphasized issues with phase shift in the IF filters as
              potentially hurting decode, and that the filtering in the sound card was
              doing that with his decode algorithms. At the time (in Q&A at his
              lecture in Visalia), I didn't think to raise the sound card
              non-linearity issue, and my 50 years in pro audio causes me to strongly
              agree with him on the issue of phase shift. But taking the shortcomings
              of sound cards into account, I'm suggesting that since most phase shift
              with good filters occurs at the skirts, narrowing the bandwidth to
              something like 500 Hz for JT65 could be a good thing for a 200 Hz
              bandwidth JT65 signal, both to improve S/N and to minimize QRM from a
              strong signal with a different offset.

              Thoughts? Experience?

              73, Jim K9YC