lotW & WSJT Modes...

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2004
      If you disagree with the concept of using FSK31 for the Meteor Scatter
      FSK441 or JT6M contacts you make when using the new Log Book of the
      World then you should contact them and let them know.

      I received a nice reply from them but there is strength in numbers. If
      you care to lobby in behalf of having available the WSJT Modes for use
      in the Log Book of the World you can email lotw-help@... and lobby
      for this new addition to the ADIF Modes. I did get a nice reply back the
      next day.

      Below I pasted a copy of the letter I submitted and if you wish to use
      it or any parts of it feel free to do so. If you have interest in this
      now is the time to lobby since the next phase is "Awards" and they are
      supposed to update the "ADIF Modes" at that time.

      To my surprise I had several confirmed contacts using FSK31 as the mode.
      I originally mapped my FSK441 contacts to ssb but went back and changed
      to FSK31 and found some matches.

      Randy Tipton WA5UFH (Tip)
      To: lotw-help
      The Log Book of the World was a big undertaking & congratulations on
      your new initiative. The project left out a large number on meteor
      scatter operators worldwide who would like to use the latest weak signal
      modes in their process of using lotW.

      The WSJT application, much written about by QST, is being used worldwide
      by VHF operators. The following modes need to be added ASAP. For
      instance, I just uploaded over 100 qso's all made using FSK441 and
      mapped them to ssb since there was no FSK441 mode provided. The next
      user might use PSK or FSK31 or RTTY. This can really make for a mess
      when the VUCC Awards start with VHF bands.

      I realize that the listing of "ADIF Modes" will be evergreen and a
      provision was made for mapping any new modes to the users choice. (Users
      choice does not create any consistency) This patch of mapping is not
      acceptable with those using WSJT Modes.

      At the present time we urge you to consider adding the following modes.

      FSK441
      JT6M
      JT44
      JT65
      WSJT (catch all for future technological improvements to WSJT)

      I strongly lobby you to include the WSJT Modes as listed above.
    • Mark Hambrice
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2004
        Having not yet submitted logs to the Log Book of the World, I had not
        even considered this. Thanks for bring it to my attention. I'll
        definitely drop them an e-mail with my comments. Thanks!

        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Tipton" <wa5ufh@y...> wrote:
        > If you disagree with the concept of using FSK31 for the Meteor
        Scatter
        > FSK441 or JT6M contacts you make when using the new Log Book of the
        > World then you should contact them and let them know....
      • Lee Scott - AA1YN
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2004
          All of mine were submitted using the DATA mode as that was the mode
          suggested to me by the LotW crew during the beta testing.
        • David Robinson
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 27, 2004
            RE: [wsjtgroup] lotW & WSJT Modes...

            As soon as LOTW was announced I enquired of ARRL about LOTW allowing FSK441 as a mode. The reply was "we can only put into LOTW what the ADIF committee allow (I didn't know there was a committee) ...If they agree we will allow it...why cant you use PSK31 for the log?"

            Dave

            Ww2r

            To: lotw-help
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Randy Tipton
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 27, 2004
              RE: [wsjtgroup] lotW & WSJT Modes...

              >Response I got back from lotW:

              >You're right of course about the modes, it's just that ADIF doesn't yet support them, but we expect that will change.

              >There will be a new version of TQSL coming out after the awards functions begin, so we'll see what we can do.

              >73, Dave, NN1N

              Dave, WW2R, above response from NN1N looks positive to me. If he receives enough requests, maybe he will indeed “see what we can do”.

              Tip

              To: lotw-help
[...]

              To unsubscribe, send an email to: