Direct upconversion WSJT Source

  • AC TALBOT
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2011
      I've added a new dimension to the WSJT generator / LF DDS source.    A new PIC based DDS design can now generate quadrature outputs for direct upconversion in an I/Q upconverter.   This opens up possibilites for beacon sources right up to into the top microwave bands.

      http://www.g4jnt.com/OpticalComms/LF_DDS_Beacon_Source.pdf   has been updated and Annex B to that document gives details of the IQ source using a 16F870 PIC that can generate frequencies between  -10kHz   to  +10kHz

      At this moment, I'm transmitting a JT65B beacon signal; on 1296MHz using the IQ output to drive an AD8346  800 - 2400MHz I/Q upconverter.  The simple synthesized LO source driving this was restricted in the spot frequencies it can generate, so while pondering on how to generate a 'nice simple' round number frequency I realised that by programming the DDS with negative numbers, in two-complement, it will generate negative frequencies (automatically swapping the phase on the I/Q outputs to do so).   Although the maths said it would all work properly, it was still rather impressive seeing the DDS work backwards !

      The DDS internal maths all works properly with two's complement, and the WSJT code generators are just as capable of sending the negative values (typically starting xFF, 0xFE etc ) on the serial interface as normal positive ones.

      Andy
      www,g4jnt.com

    • AC TALBOT