Re: antennas

  • Lance Collister, W7GJ
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 28, 2011
      Hi Ken,

      MNI TNX - I will certainly add the photo to my web page! Great to see your 2 yagi 6m
      array with elevation! I am sure others will be very interested too!

      As far as comparing different WSJT versions, I know there is a lot of anecdotal
      opinion in support of one version or another. I always monitor signals on two
      separate computers running two different sound cards and sometimes even run two
      different versions of WSJT simultaneously on one of the computers. On all my 3
      computers here, WSJT9 always is superior to other versions. But then, none of them
      are Dell, either, which have had reported problems of various sorts running WSJT
      programs.

      I can't guarantee that you will have the same results as I do, given the sampling
      rate of your sound card and the way you have the program set up at your place, since
      I think those DO make some difference. The only person I can suggest to contact with
      your question is K1JT, although there might be someone else in the WSJT user group
      who could address your question.

      My personal opinion is that you need to:

      1) Use WSJT9
      2) Make sure your 6m feedline is less than 1 dB loss
      3) Install a low noise external preamp in the shack
      4) Use the program and receiver settings as shown on my checklist for JT65:

      http://www.bigskyspaces.com/w7gj/JT65.pdf

      5) Check your QTH and setup for stray noise. You may want to check for general noise
      sources (computers, switcher power supplies, hum on your audio lines, etc.) which
      could be raising your noise floor. Usually when I elevate, the "no signal" JT65A
      decodes show a background noise level of -32 or -33dB. I you are not seeing things
      this quiet, then that may be your problem.

      GL and VY 73, Lance

      --
      Lance Collister, W7GJ
      (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)

      page (above)!