Startup Order of Audio Streams in Windows-7

  • Bob KD7YZ
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 13, 2011
      I asked this question on Microsoft answers and got one reply that it is
      not possible to keep it from being random. And I've asked it on some
      other Lists many of you are on. However, that said, I never
      hear of other guys complaining about it. So someone out there must have
      an answer.

      I start several programs which talk with my SignaLink-USB card, which in
      turn work with my Yaesu FT-950 to gather Audio input for decoding.. I am
      using Windows-7 64-bit.

      Fldigi cleverly looks for the 'Name' and not "03" or "04". Whereas
      JT65hf and WSJT9 look for one of the following in the table below by the
      number in the left-hand column:

      Audio Input Output Device Name
      Device Channels Channels
      0 2 0 Microsoft Sound Mapper - Input
      1 2 0 Microphone (High Definition Aud
      2 2 0 Line In (High Definition Audio
      3 2 0 CD Audio (High Definition Audio
      4 2 0 USB Audio Codec (USB Audio CODE
      5 0 2 Microsoft Sound Mapper - Output
      6 0 2 Speakers (High Definition Audio
      7 0 2 USB Audio Codec (USB Audio CODE

      User requested devices: Input = 3 Output = 7 <<<----------
      Default devices: Input = 0 Output = 5
      Will open devices: Input = 3 Output = 7
      Audio streams running normally.

      The trouble comes when on one system-start the Rx 'USB Audio Codec' is 3
      and the next time it is 4. I see no pattern in the assignment. It my go
      three days at 03 then become 04.

      Clearly if I hard-code the number 3 into a program wanting to read the
      SignaLink USB then I will actually be listening, in this case, to CD
      Audio. Yesterday it was correct and went to the external sound-card device.

      Since no one else complains about this issue, I have to conclude the
      problem is in the way I set some unknown variable up, in the Windows O/S.

      I briefly mentioned this quite a while back on some Ham groups
      but I never really resolved it, as you can see from the table.

      thanks

      --
      bob kd7yz
    • Barry Garratt
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 13, 2011

        Hey Bob,

        I run Windows 7 64 bit Pro on multiple machines and have never seen this issue. Both WSJT and JT65-HF always start with the proper devices. The only different I see is that use an external USB soundcard. Perhaps the way the OS addresses those devices is what is causing your problem. Not much help I know but just some additional info for you to ponder. If you can, try and run WSJT or JT65-HF on one of the internal devices and see if that works every time. For example use 1 and 6 or even 2 and 6 just as an experiment. Leave the USB soundcard unplugged when you do this.

        Barry KS7DX

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 13, 2011
          Dennis was set up just down the road from me in CM86 this morning, so I
          dropped by for a visit. I also shot some photos, and they're on my
          website. He didn't set up 2M because there were no requests for CM86.
          The rig is and FT450, and the block of power underneath it is an A1000.
          The generator is one of the nice little Hondas, probably an EU2000i.

          http://audiosystemsgroup.com/K7BVGridTrip.pdf

          73, Jim K9YC
        • wayne@wayneheinen.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 13, 2011
            Thanks Jim, nice to see the other end of this morning QSO! Dennis,
            you'll have to wait for the QSL to see what you worked on this end!

            73

            Wayne N0POH

            Quoting Jim Brown <k9yc@...>:

            > Dennis was set up just down the road from me in CM86 this morning, so I
            > dropped by for a visit. I also shot some photos, and they're on my
            > website. He didn't set up 2M because there were no requests for CM86.
            > The rig is and FT450, and the block of power underneath it is an A1000.
            > The generator is one of the nice little Hondas, probably an EU2000i.
            >
            > http://audiosystemsgroup.com/K7BVGridTrip.pdf
            >
            > 73, Jim K9YC

          • Bob KD7YZ
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 13, 2011
              whoops, I forgot to see that there were two recipients me and the wsjt group

              On 10/13/2011 9:51 PM, Barry Garratt wrote:

              >The only different I see is that use an external USB
              > soundcard.

              Did you forget a word: "you" maybe? otherwise I am unclear why it can't
              happen to you.

              See, Windows takes whatever it finds ... in my case an external USB
              device mapped to Audio: SignaLink-USB

              If I opted to always use the internal audio, I would have to connect the
              microphone-input to the receive output, a PITA with little control.

              The way I am running it now, I have JT65hf and FLdigi running at the
              same time. Also DXLAB-suite ... they are all reading my FT-950.

              Except when I boot up I have to go and change the gd numbers around

              FLDigi searches for String name associated with each device number. In
              my case it's USB Audio Codec ///sometimes that string goes to 03 and
              sometimes to 04 .. who cares.... If WSJT9 would just look for the
              String Name which the device ALWAYS sends to the operating system at
              first query.

              Pretty simple concept. Easy to say but we aren't looking at the 100k
              lines of code either (previously a programmer)
            • Barry Garratt
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 13, 2011

                Thanks for sharing Jim. Nice pictures.

                Quoting Jim Brown <k9yc@...>:

                > Dennis was set up just down the road from me in CM86 this morning, so I
                > dropped by for a visit. I also shot some photos, and they're on my
                > website. He didn't set up 2M because there were no requests for CM86.
                > The rig is and FT450, and the block of power underneath it is an A1000.
                > The generator is one of the nice little Hondas, probably an EU2000i.
                >
                > http://audiosystemsgroup.com/K7BVGridTrip.pdf
                >
                > 73, Jim K9YC

              • Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 18, 2011
                  Hey Bob,

                  Ya know, WSJT is open-source code. You can do it yourself! What a keen idea!!

                  And that ‘s probably about the only way it’s going to get done. I know your “100k lines of code” was a SLIGHT exaggeration ... You can do it in your SPARE TIME!

                  LOL

                  Have fun Bob – Hope you needed NM on the bands I’ve been working you on lately (80m etc) – If you need 160, no joy on this end. I don’t have any antenna that will load on that band.....

                  73
                  Bill W5WVO