Final Random Hour Report for 9-24-2011

  • David R. Hassall
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28 4:55 AM
      Random Hour Report for 9/24/2011
      I received 1 reports this week. I am now answering the receipt
      of each report. If you do not get a "thank you" email back,
      I didn't get your report for some Reason. So, please resend it.

      Ping Jockey scheduling page is:
      Backup page for Ping Jockey is:
      http://vhftalk.aa1yn.com/index.html

      Codes:
      WRK - Worked station
      CNR - Called but not worked
      HRD - Heard
      (R) = Random contact
      (S) = Scheduled contact

      Contacts:
      6M
      VE1SKY WRK: KZ3X(S) HRD: WC4N, KD7YX

      2M
      NONE REPORTED

      SOAPBOX:
      WA5DJJ: I have been the reporting secretary for the WSJT Random
      Hour for the past three years. I have really enjoyed the privilege
      of doing it and meeting all of you. But the time has come to give it
      up. Mainly because I have very little to report. The accepted practice
      seems to lean heavily on making contacts scheduled on Ping Jockey and
      not working random contacts on 50.260MHz and 144.140MHz. Most seem to
      think that if you work your contacts that way, you don't need to report
      them. So, It seems that I need to go to the "Old Elephant Farm" to die.

      So Folks, No Random Hour Reports for Saturday need to be sent to me in
      the future. I wish the Meteor Scatter Group well. It is an experience
      that I will never forget. There is just something about seeing a distant
      stations call sign appear on my screen from out of NOWHERE that just
      makes my old heart pump a few extra beats. About the only thing I can
      compare it to is hearing my callsign on CW after I had called my first
      CQ 53 years ago. Fair Winds and Following seas my friends.

      73 Dave

      David R. Hassall WA5DJJ
      WEBSITE: http://www.zianet.com/dhassall/
    • wb3bel
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 28 9:38 AM
        Dave,

        You deserve a huge round of applause for all your hard work to pull these RH reports together over the years ! Thanks!!!

        I always enjoy reading your RH reports although I have not filed any in quite a few months.

        Local QRN has put a damper on my 6m meteor scatter activity. But I wholeheartedly agree that we should strive to encourage random activity by calling CQ on the calling frequencies. Listening for calls QSX can be a good idea during periods of high activity. But even that is not mandatory. Use common sense and avoid sending SH/ST on the calling freq. I think sending 73 SH/ST is OK on the call frequency.

        Calling CQ off of the calling frequency only makes some sense in very limited circumstances (Published DXpeditions may be one). The calling frequency can support many users simultaneously due to the geometry of meteor reflections. A little QRM is not that hard to tolerate and can add to the fun. I think that the banner on pingjockey is a bit misleading with regard to the use of the calling frequency. It's not a good choice for skeds, but its often the best choice for calling CQ and looking for randoms...

        Thanks again...

        73, Harry WB3BEL
      • Randy Tipton
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 28 12:39 PM
          Dave, thank you for providing all the reports. As you know I enjoyed working
          random contacts, especially on two meters where it once was more popular
          than six meters! Actually a few guys provided reports since the launch of NA
          Random Hour. Bruce, N5SIX provided reports for many years so thanks to him
          as well. The WSJTGROUP Saturday Random Hour started on January 12, 2003,
          even though I am now off the air, I was still reading the reports hoping
          that one day the peak activity would return and that two meter activity
          would once again return to its original glory.

          Just wanted to make those comments after reading your announcement. Thanks
          Dave and good luck to all.

          tip
          wa5ufh

          week. I am now answering the receipt of each report. If you do not get a
          "thank you" email back, I didn't get your report for some Reason. So, please
          resend it.
          I am trying to get the compiled report on the WSJT and the Digital On Six
          websites by late Tuesday night. So everyone should find it online by
          Wednesday of each week.

[...]

          WSJTGroup HomePage http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/

          Yahoo! Groups Links