Audio-In Port changes every day

  • Bob KD7YZ
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 13, 2011
      I noted this with both WSJT9 and JT-65hf.

      Every day when I start one of these two, the USB Soundcard input port
      has toggled between port 3 and port 4. Next start-up time it's 3, then
      4, then 3, and so on.

      I am using Windows-7 fwiw.

      Anyone ever notice this?

      It's something to do with Windows but I can't catch it.

      Obviously a PITA to need to make the correction every day.

      --
      bob kd7yz
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 13, 2011
        On 9/13/2011 8:49 AM, Bob KD7YZ wrote:

        I noted this with both WSJT9 and JT-65hf.

        Every day when I start one of these two, the USB Soundcard input port
        has toggled between port 3 and port 4. Next start-up time it's 3, then
        4, then 3, and so on.

        I am using Windows-7 fwiw.

        Anyone ever notice this?

        It's something to do with Windows but I can't catch it.

        Obviously a PITA to need to make the correction every day.

        --
        bob kd7yz

        __._,_
        This is indeed due to Windows not mapping the audio ports consistently when it boots.
        The problem can be solved, but it must be done by the programmer by opening the port by name (comparing strings) instead of by number.
        This one catches Unix programmers a lot!
        Bill KC7I
      • Barry Garratt
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 13, 2011

          It is indeed a Windows 7 issue Bob and not related to just WSJT or JT65-hf. You can get around this by running both programs in administer mode. I run Win 7 Pro 64 bits and have never seen this issue but I know it exists.

          Barry KS7DX

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 13, 2011
            On 9/13/2011 12:10 PM, Bill wrote:

            > This is indeed due to Windows not mapping the audio ports consistently
            > when it boots.

            > opening the port by name (comparing strings)

            kinda like it needs a DNS Lookup , no, Reverse-DNS Lookup .. heh heh heh,

            "Port Four, where be Port-Four svp?"
            "Reply to Query, Port Four is, today, this minute, Int(3.00)"

            yeah, I'll get right on that.

            thanks .. I read urs after Barry's and realised I replied TMI in the
            previous reply.