FW: [FFMA] Re: K7MKL/W6NF Rover

  • Barry Garratt
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2011

      Besides how flat the response of your receiver is, one other item in the chain that also needs to be flat is the response of your soundcard. And what is the optimum input level to it for best SNR. With a fixed output from the receiver such as the Data output on the K3 you are depending on the input to the sound card to adjust for zero noise on the SpecJT screen. This may, or may not, be optimum for best SNR. I know Bill and many others run this way, but, in my case, I prefer to be able to adjust that depending on noise and the strength of the ping.

      Using Spectrum Lab I found the best input level to my soundcard for optimum SNR and then I just adjusted the actual audio from the receiver to obtain zero. I do some other audio tricks before the soundcard as well. I have a K3 and one of the nice features is receiver audio equalization. I boost the range 800 to 2400 Hz by 9db which covers the 882-2205 Hz range of FSK. The audio from the receiver then passes through a Timewave DSP-599zx audio DSP which is set to cover 600-2600 Hz. As Bill has pointed out none of these filters are brickwall, but, by reducing the bandwidth to the soundcard the decoder has less extraneous noise to deal with which again helps with lowering the SNR. The Timewave in fact removes quite a bit of background noise itself.

      I typically run my K3 with an 1800 Hz roofing filter which is more than adequate to cover the expected bandwidth. I know this restricts how far off frequency the other station can be but having said that I run TOL at 100 as my default so this setting is fine. Most stations I’ve encountered on 6 are reasonably close frequency wise. Certainly within the +/- 100 Hz range. I run “S” at -10 and rarely tough it. I adjust my audio gain if the ping is loud and have no trouble decoding loud signals. I also run with AGC off most of the time.

      On the RF side of the picture I do a few things as well. I’m fortunate to live in a very quiet area so I’m able to run both the external K3 GasFet preamp and the internal one all the time. I have a Timewave ANC-4 noise canceller that helps when gardeners are running their gas trimmers etc. whose output then feeds a DCI 11 pole 300 kHz bandpass filter that limits any out-of-band signals. The bandpass filter then feeds the preamps.

      For what it’s worth that’s how I am setup for WSJT.

      Barry KS7Dx