5W0GJ Final Results

  • Lance Collister, W7GJ
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2011
      Talofa lava!

      Finally back home again after countless hours traveling! In summary, I completed
      with 42 stations via 6m EME, plus one on Es (E51WL), who called me in sequence on
      JT65A while I was calling CQ aiming at the moon. That is a great way to break in
      when the band is open, since when I am aiming at the moon 12 hours a day, I really
      don't have free time for dedicated listening for ionospheric openings! And the
      increased sensitivity of JT65A permits contacts during strong ionospheric openings
      even if the beam is not aiming exactly at the other station.

      WORKED
      1 G4FUF
      2 G5WQ
      3 G8BCG
      4 G8VR
      5 GM4WJA
      6 K2ZD
      7 K6MYC
      8 K7BV
      9 K7CW
      10 K7XQ
      11 KB7Q/7
      12 KB8RQ
      13 KR7O
      14 LA8AJA
      15 LY2BAW
      16 N2TIN
      17 N3CXV
      18 N6RMJ
      19 N7NW
      20 NR5M
      21 OH2BC
      22 OH6MIK
      23 OK1RD
      24 ON4GG
      25 ON4IQ
      26 OZ4VV
      27 PA3HP
      28 S57RR
      29 SM7AED
      30 SM7FJE
      31 UT7QF
      32 VE1JF
      33 VE3KH
      34 VE5UF
      35 W1JJ
      36 W5UWB
      37 W7GJ
      38 W8PAT
      39 WA4NJP
      40 WA7U/7
      41 ZL1RS
      42 ZL3NW

      In addition to the above stations, I copied 37 other callers with whom I was not able
      to complete:

      COPIED
      1 DJ5JK
      2 EA7KW
      3 ES6RQ
      4 G3WOS
      5 G4IGO
      6 HA0DU
      7 IW5DHN
      8 JR6EXN
      9 K4PI
      10 K4RX
      11 K7AD
      12 K9CT
      13 KD7YZ
      14 KH7Y
      15 KJ9I
      16 LZ2CC
      17 LZ2WO
      18 N3WXW
      19 N5DG
      20 NN7J
      21 NR0X
      22 OA4TT
      23 OE9ICI
      24 ON9CC
      25 PA2CHR
      26 PE1BTX
      27 PE1L
      28 S51DI
      29 S59A
      30 UN8GC
      31 W4CSW
      32 W4IMD
      33 W7EME
      34 W7IUV
      35 W7KNT
      36 W7UT
      37 W9RM

      So what do I think? Well, I knew going into this trip that the windows with EU were
      shorter and the period of low Degradation was shorter than from 3D2LR last year. So,
      although I was hoping for as many contacts from Fiji (52), I really didn't expect as
      many from this more limited operation. And, although the moon positions during this
      DXpedition did avoid directions during the day of typically high TEC, the peak of the
      solar cycle is approaching, so the general geomagnetic field disturbances were
      higher, and people reported aurora in Europe when I first started my operation. And,
      although the solar flux may not be high enough to have any effect on 6m signals from
      my home QTH in Montana, there certainly is some effect in the TEP zone, where I was
      operating, even if the MUF was usually not enough to produce ionospheric propagation
      back down to earth! So, there were certainly some unforseen disruptions that caused
      EME cndx to be less than ideal. I found many times that reciprocity was not there or
      was not alternating over a reasonable amount of time with stations I was trying to
      work. It was very frustrating to me to be unable to complete with the many stations
      I copied, and also disappointing that a number of stations I have worked in the past
      were not copied or active during this operation.

      Having said that, I have to say that these results were very encouraging, since the
      total number of stations copied off the moon from 5W0GJ (79) was almost 15% greater
      than from 3D2LR last fall (69)! I think I definitely could complete with several
      dozen new stations on another trip there during a period of optimum EME cndx.

      As far as the QTH is concerned, I highly recommend Bungalow #4 at the Bayview Resort
      on Savai'i for ham radio, and especially for EME. If I were to go back again to 5W,
      I would have no hesitation to go to exactly the same place. The moonrise is out over
      the water except on very southern declinations, and the moonset is over the water in
      the distance during northernmost declinations. The AC power did go off for 30
      minutes during one of my moonrises (which was probably the worst possible time for a
      power outage) but it was operational the rest of the 12 days. The location is far
      from the main TV transmitters in Apia, and I did not detect any interference on 6m
      from the Samoan Channel 1 TV. I also did not have any line noise, although I did
      have noise (which sounded like welding) on a couple occasions when I beamed west
      toward the village. The Bayview Resort offered internet via Wi-Fi for $10/hour,
      which was much more handy than the nearest internet services available from the
      previous 3D2 or E51 locations. Although the Bayview Wi-Fi reached most of their
      units, the operating position in the northern corner of Bungalow #4 was just out of
      range, so I had to dismantle the computer and leave the station in order to file
      update reports.

      Many thanks to all those who made the effort to get on and so patiently and
      persistently kept calling me. I would decode all the callers each sequence to check
      if the conditions were changing so as to be reciprocal with anyone. If nobody was
      copying me at that time, I would just continue calling the person I had started with,
      even if they were not visible to me at that particular moment. I am exploring other
      possibilities to try to provide a bigger signal next time, but it is obvious that the
      people who could take advantage of my moonrise ground gain over the ocean really had
      a much easier time of it. Especially during trying conditions, being able to see the
      moon during that extra ground gain on my moonrise was really helpful!

      To those of you who sent in contributions, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! The excess baggage
      charges, in addition to the expensive travel costs, were very high, and it will be
      some months before the credit cards can be paid off! It is your very helpful support
      that makes it possible for a guy on Social Security to activate these rare DXCC every
      year. The accessible and reasonably affordable places to get to are dwindling in
      number, but I think we will be able to come up with a very desirable location for
      next year ;-)

      GL on 6m and again, MNI TNX! VY 73, Lance

      --
      Lance Collister, W7GJ
      (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)

      page (above)!
    • Lance Collister, W7GJ
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2011
        Well, several people pointed out that I overlooked the last page of my logbook :-( I
        THOUGHT I was missing a couple of contacts somewhere!

        I also worked W1VHF and W7CE, bringing the total worked on 6m EME up to 44, with a
        total number of stations copied over 17% higher than from 3D2LR last fall. Thanks
        for the excitement! Can't wait to see what happens from the next rare DXCC ;-)

        GL and VY 73, Lance

        --
        Lance Collister, W7GJ
        (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)
        P.O. Box 73
        Frenchtown, MT 59834-0073
        USA
        TEL: (406) 626-5728
        QTH: DN27ub
        Windows Messenger: W7GJ@...
        Skype: lanceW7GJ
        2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

        page (above)!
      • Jeremy Alexander
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 7, 2011
          Aloha Lance,

          Not sure how I got on your heard list? If I was there, we would have worked! However, I was in a hammock at a luau at that time. Maybe you meant to post you heard w7mem rather w7eme?

          73 Jeremy