Re: [wsjtgroup] ISCAT [A} and [B]

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21, 2011
      Hi Bob and all,

      KD7YZ wrote:
      > where. please. is the Beta download with ISCAT type A and B ??
      >
      > I am using r2226 and there is only one ISCAT in the Pull-Down ...
      > however, it does allow 30 second or 15 second.
      >
      > In any event, rumour has it that there is version 9.1 2385 .. which does
      > not appear on the WSJT page.

      It's true that the latest beta has two versions of ISCAT, namely ISCAT-A
      and ISCAT-B. The "B" sub-mode is the one you already know as ISCAT.
      The "A" mode has half the bandwidth and half the keying rate. It was
      explicitly designed for making 10 GHz QSOs by aircraft scatter.

      There's no reason that you should be forbidden to try it (ISCAT-A) for
      anything else... but if I had thought it would be better for ionospheric
      scatter on 6 meters, I would have designed the "old original ISCAT" that
      way, in the first place. :-)

      I will copy below a message from Rex Moncur, VK7MO, to "WSJT-devel",
      the WSJT developer's group email list.

      For info we have been using a new WSJT experimental mode ISCAT-A for
      aircraft scatter at 10 GHz and I am sure it will work extremely well at
      1296 MHz. This can be downloaded at:

      http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT9_r2433.EXE

      This mode is around 15 dB more sensitive than FSK441 and is a further
      development of ISCAT which is included in the publicly released version
      of WSJT9. The new version includes both ISCAT-A and ISCAT-B with
      ISCAT-B being the old ISCAT included in the publicly available version.
      Joe Taylor kindly developed ISCAT-A to meet our requirements for
      aircraft scatter at 10 GHz. It can be run in 15 second periods and can
      cope with very rapid Doppler variations of up to 1000 Hz/min as occur at
      10 GHz when an aircraft crosses the path at right angles. It also copes
      well with the short bursts of a few seconds that we receive at 10 GHz
      and has an averaging feature that allows it to take advantage of longer
      but weaker bursts. If you have any questions on its operation I would be
      pleased to help.

      73 Rex VK7MO
    • Bob KD7YZ
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 21, 2011
        On 7/21/2011 2:54 PM, Joe Taylor wrote:

        > There's no reason that you should be forbidden to try it (ISCAT-A) for
        > anything else... but if I had thought it would be better for ionospheric
        > scatter on 6 meters, I would have designed the "old original ISCAT" that
        > way, in the first place. :-)

        Thanks Professor! Excellent point.

        Now, let me think, _Pandora_ , where is she? Hmmm, yes, in a box. Let's
        see. Which box should I open first ...