Amp cooling

  • Sebastian, W4AS
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18, 2011
      I recently acquired an Ameritron AL-80 amp that was converted to 6 meters.  It uses a single 3-500z tube.

      The amp has a --single-- fan inside, and force cools the tube.  From what I have read, this amp is identical to the Heath SB-1000.

      What cooling mods have you guys made (if any) to similar tube amps, for WSJT work?  I have a nice and loud (and very fast) 110v fan similar to the one inside, that I can place on the outside where the exhaust holes are, but I was also thinking of getting a larger computer type 12v fan, and place it inside right next to the tube (if there is enough clearance), and having it exhaust the air out.

      I know these 3-500z's are very forgiving, but I was waiting for this weekend's CQ VHF contest to pass, before I 'sacrifice' it to WSJT.

      73 de Sebastian, W4AS