Re: [wsjtgroup] Installing wsjt9 on k/ubuntu 64-bit

  • Mike H
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6 7:19 AM
      I'm not certain, but there may not be a 64-bit .deb binary available (Peter OZ1PIF should know this).  In that case, you'll have to build from source.  I don't know what went wrong when you tried doing this, but the error message:

      can't find /usr//bin/wsjt.py

      looks like LOCALBASE got improperly defined during configure.  I haven't built 64-bit WSJT9 on Ubuntu, but can offer the following suggestions.  Do you have all the dependencies installed?  They are listed here:

      http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/devel.html

      Then you can fetch the most bleeding edge sub-version that Joe has released at Berlios by running:

      svn co http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/wsjt/trunk

      from the terminal.  That's really a beta-testing version, however, and may cause you problems.  If that's the case, an earlier version of WSJT9 that I know works is:

      svn co -r 2405 http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/wsjt/trunk

      Decompress the tarball and then do

      ./configure
      make

      If you have all the dependencies resolved, this should generate a WSJT python binary called wsjt.py.  If not, you'll get error messages telling you what you're missing.  Launch the program with

      python -O wsjt.py

      If you get a GUI but experience crashes, try repeating the build with

      ./configure --enable-g95
      make

      instead.  Once you have a working binary, you can then make a tidy Linux install that assigns files to their proper directories.  This is nice, but not essential; as root run:

      python setup.py install

      Please understand that these are only suggestions based on my memory. I can't guarantee this procedure will work on a 64-bit machine because I haven't tried it myself.

      Mike
      WB2FKO/DL

      On 07/06/2011 03:58 PM, doctordruidphd wrote:

      Has anyone successfully installed WSJT-9 on k/ubuntu 64-bit?
      Trying on 10.10, 11.04, and 11.10. Current version in the repository is 5.something, way out of date.

      I have tried several things, including downloading the .deb (won't install), forcing the installation anyway (doesn't work), unpacking the .deb file into an /opt directory (program works, but gives a white bar where the monitor chart should be, then crashes).
      I also tried downloading the source, which seems to compile, but produces a "can't find /usr//bin/wsjt.py" error.

      If someone actually has this working, some hints as to how you did it would be appreciated. Thanks.

    • Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF]
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6 8:55 AM
        Den 06-07-2011 16:19, Mike H skrev:
        I'm not certain, but there may not be a 64-bit .deb binary available (Peter OZ1PIF should know this).  In that case, you'll have to build from source.  I don't know what went wrong when you tried doing this, but the error message:

        Not to my knowledge, anyway, unless you have a specific need to run 64-bit (hard to imagine), I recommend strongly that you stick to 32-bit for now. 64-bit Linux IMHO isn't ready for prime time yet, 32-bit backwards compatibility and library availability is lacking (to a much higher degree than in WinDoze), and most (if not all) apps are only available packaged for 32-bit.

        --
        Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

        ** Genius is one per cent inspiration, **
        ** and ninety-nine per cent            **
        ** perspiration.                       **
        **               -- Thomas A. Edison   **
        email: peter(no-spam filler)@...
        http://www.frenning.dk/oz1pif.htm
        Ph. +45 4619 3239
        Snailmail: