WSJT on older portable

  • TLC_Carney
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 19, 2011
      I'm having a problem trying to get WSJT up and running on an older portable PC. I need to get this running to activate CM86.

      WSJT installs an appears to run OK but I get very poor decodes of received signals. Multiple time I would see a ping that, from experience, I though would decode and it didn't. Finally got a Y cable and hooked the radio audio out to both the portable and my main ham PC.

      I've received multiple pings that decode fine on the main PC and produce garbage on the portable. Here is an example of the same ping:

      On the portable:
      133000 23.8 1820 12 37 79 C QS 1 K 7Q 26 KE7*F#J6JD 8H * M 8 ZT

      On the main PC:
      133000 25.3 1880 12 37 50 BDQ 26 KE7NR KB7Q 26 KE7NR KB7Q 26 KE7NR

      Both PCs are running V9, both have the audio level set at 0. Both are running Win XP SP3. I've tried different S levels, and both higher and lower audio levels.

      The portable is a Dell Latitude 131L with an integrated SigmaTel sound card. The portable has an AMD mobile processor of some kind @ 1.6mhz, the main PC is a P4@ 2.53 Mhz.

      I'm out of things to try. Any idea what could be the cause of the problem?

      73,

      Tom K6EU
    • Lance Collister, W7GJ
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 19, 2011
        Have you entered the sound card correction factors for each computer? GL and 73, Lance

        On 6/19/2011 2:56 PM, TLC_Carney wrote:
        > I'm having a problem trying to get WSJT up and running on an older portable PC. I
        > need to get this running to activate CM86.
        >
        > WSJT installs an appears to run OK but I get very poor decodes of received
        > signals. Multiple time I would see a ping that, from experience, I though would
        > decode and it didn't. Finally got a Y cable and hooked the radio audio out to
        > both the portable and my main ham PC.
        >
        > I've received multiple pings that decode fine on the main PC and produce garbage
        > on the portable. Here is an example of the same ping:
        >
        > On the portable: 133000 23.8 1820 12 37 79 C QS 1 K 7Q 26 KE7*F#J6JD 8H *
        > M 8 ZT
        >
        > On the main PC: 133000 25.3 1880 12 37 50 BDQ 26 KE7NR KB7Q 26 KE7NR KB7Q 26
        > KE7NR
        >
        > Both PCs are running V9, both have the audio level set at 0. Both are running Win
        > XP SP3. I've tried different S levels, and both higher and lower audio levels.
        >
        > The portable is a Dell Latitude 131L with an integrated SigmaTel sound card. The
        > portable has an AMD mobile processor of some kind @ 1.6mhz, the main PC is a P4@
        > 2.53 Mhz.
        >
        > I'm out of things to try. Any idea what could be the cause of the problem?
        >
        > 73,
        >
        > Tom K6EU

        > WSJTGroup HomePage http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/

        Lance Collister, W7GJ
        (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)
        P.O. Box 73
        Frenchtown, MT 59834-0073
        USA
        TEL: (406) 626-5728
        QTH: DN27ub
        Windows Messenger: W7GJ@...
        Skype: lanceW7GJ
        2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

        page (above)!
      • Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 19, 2011
          Just what I was going to ask, but you beat me to it, Lance.

          If entering the correction factors into Setup >> Options has in fact been done, then suspect the integral sound card in the laptop. Since these “sound cards” are usually not easy (or impossible) to replace, the most straightforward solution for a K3 setup (which doesn’t otherwise need an interface device) is get a USB-based sound card emulator. These are typically cheap and they seem to work, although I blew one up once by having the AGC turned off in the K3. LOL That was one hellacious rock!

          Bill W5WVO

          Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2011 19:12
          Subject: Re: [wsjtgroup] WSJT on older portable

          Have you entered the sound card correction factors for each computer? GL and 73, Lance

          On 6/19/2011 2:56 PM, TLC_Carney wrote:
          > I'm having a problem trying to get WSJT up and running on an older portable PC. I
          > need to get this running to activate CM86.
          >
          > WSJT installs an appears to run OK but I get very poor decodes of received
          > signals. Multiple time I would see a ping that, from experience, I though would
          > decode and it didn't. Finally got a Y cable and hooked the radio audio out to
          > both the portable and my main ham PC.
          >
          > I've received multiple pings that decode fine on the main PC and produce garbage
          > on the portable. Here is an example of the same ping:
          >
          > On the portable: 133000 23.8 1820 12 37 79 C QS 1 K 7Q 26 KE7*F#J6JD 8H *
          > M 8 ZT
          >
          > On the main PC: 133000 25.3 1880 12 37 50 BDQ 26 KE7NR KB7Q 26 KE7NR KB7Q 26
          > KE7NR
          >
          > Both PCs are running V9, both have the audio level set at 0. Both are running Win
          > XP SP3. I've tried different S levels, and both higher and lower audio levels.
          >
          > The portable is a Dell Latitude 131L with an integrated SigmaTel sound card. The
          > portable has an AMD mobile processor of some kind @ 1.6mhz, the main PC is a P4@
          > 2.53 Mhz.
          >
          > I'm out of things to try. Any idea what could be the cause of the problem?
          >
          > 73,
          >
          > Tom K6EU

          > WSJTGroup HomePage http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/

          Lance Collister, W7GJ
          (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)
          P.O. Box 73
          Frenchtown, MT 59834-0073
          USA
          TEL: (406) 626-5728
          QTH: DN27ub
          Windows Messenger: mailto:W7GJ%40hotmail.com
          Skype: lanceW7GJ
          2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

          page (above)!

        • TLC_Carney
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 20, 2011
            Lance/Bill

            Thanks, the rate in/out values were way off. Had to set them 9796. .

            A classic case of not RTFM by me. In this case that would be "read the FULL manual". Read the first part, didn't read far enough.

            It's interesting to see two different computers decode the same audio stream. I sometimes get a very slightly better decode on one that the other.

            73,

            Tom K6EU

            --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Lance Collister, W7GJ" <w7gj@...> wrote:

            > Have you entered the sound card correction factors for each computer? GL and 73, Lance
            >
            > On 6/19/2011 2:56 PM, TLC_Carney wrote:
            > > I'm having a problem trying to get WSJT up and running on an older portable PC. I
            > > need to get this running to activate CM86.
            > >
            > > WSJT installs an appears to run OK but I get very poor decodes of received
            > > signals. Multiple time I would see a ping that, from experience, I though would
            > > decode and it didn't. Finally got a Y cable and hooked the radio audio out to
            > > both the portable and my main ham PC.
            > >
            > > I've received multiple pings that decode fine on the main PC and produce garbage
            > > on the portable. Here is an example of the same ping:
            > >
            > > On the portable: 133000 23.8 1820 12 37 79 C QS 1 K 7Q 26 KE7*F#J6JD 8H *
            > > M 8 ZT
            > >
            > > On the main PC: 133000 25.3 1880 12 37 50 BDQ 26 KE7NR KB7Q 26 KE7NR KB7Q 26
            > > KE7NR
            > >
            > > Both PCs are running V9, both have the audio level set at 0. Both are running Win
            > > XP SP3. I've tried different S levels, and both higher and lower audio levels.
            > >
            > > The portable is a Dell Latitude 131L with an integrated SigmaTel sound card. The
            > > portable has an AMD mobile processor of some kind @ 1.6mhz, the main PC is a P4@
            > > 2.53 Mhz.
            > >
            > > I'm out of things to try. Any idea what could be the cause of the problem?
            > >
            > > 73,
            > >
            > > Tom K6EU

            > > WSJTGroup HomePage http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            > >

            > --
            > Lance Collister, W7GJ
            > (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)
            > P.O. Box 73
            > Frenchtown, MT 59834-0073
            > USA
            > TEL: (406) 626-5728
            > QTH: DN27ub
            > Windows Messenger: W7GJ@...
            > Skype: lanceW7GJ
            > 2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815
            >
            > Interested in 6m EME? Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
            > email group, or just fill in the request box at the bottom of my web
            > page (above)!

          • Lance Collister, W7GJ
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 20, 2011
              Hi Tom,

              I am glad you have things working now. I also use two different computers (with
              different sound cards) to copy WSJT here, and I also often find a slight difference
              between the two. I suspect the difference is in the different sample rate between
              the two sound cards (Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, and Delta 44) and how well they match
              up with the sampling rate used by the WSJT software.

              GL and VY 73, Lance

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 1, 2011
                Greetings

                I'm tagging this post on to my previous one as I still having a problems getting WSJT working on the portable.

                It's a totally different problem this time. If I select FSK-441 as the mode, I don't get any transmit audio. Works fine with ISCAT or any other mode.

                Besides the usual rebooting, etc I've tried installing a slightly different version of WSJT (9.0 r2136)in a different directory. Was using version (9.02 r2226) when I first saw the problem. I've also tried both PTT and VOX keying.

                However, with V 7.03 r1090, FSK-441 works fine.

                I'd appreciate any ideas or other things to try.

                Guess, I could just use V7 for FSK but am concerned that something else my be other problems.

                73,

                Tom K6EU

                --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "TLC_Carney" <k6eu@...> wrote:

                > Lance/Bill
                >
                > Thanks, the rate in/out values were way off. Had to set them 9796. .
                >
                > A classic case of not RTFM by me. In this case that would be "read the FULL manual". Read the first part, didn't read far enough.
                >
                > It's interesting to see two different computers decode the same audio stream. I sometimes get a very slightly better decode on one that the other.
                >
                > 73,
                >
                > Tom K6EU
                >

                > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Lance Collister, W7GJ" <w7gj@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Have you entered the sound card correction factors for each computer? GL and 73, Lance
                > >
                > > On 6/19/2011 2:56 PM, TLC_Carney wrote:
                > > > I'm having a problem trying to get WSJT up and running on an older portable PC. I
                > > > need to get this running to activate CM86.
                > > >
                > > > WSJT installs an appears to run OK but I get very poor decodes of received
                > > > signals. Multiple time I would see a ping that, from experience, I though would
                > > > decode and it didn't. Finally got a Y cable and hooked the radio audio out to
                > > > both the portable and my main ham PC.
                > > >
                > > > I've received multiple pings that decode fine on the main PC and produce garbage
                > > > on the portable. Here is an example of the same ping:
                > > >
                > > > On the portable: 133000 23.8 1820 12 37 79 C QS 1 K 7Q 26 KE7*F#J6JD 8H *
                > > > M 8 ZT
                > > >
                > > > On the main PC: 133000 25.3 1880 12 37 50 BDQ 26 KE7NR KB7Q 26 KE7NR KB7Q 26
                > > > KE7NR
                > > >
                > > > Both PCs are running V9, both have the audio level set at 0. Both are running Win
                > > > XP SP3. I've tried different S levels, and both higher and lower audio levels.
                > > >
                > > > The portable is a Dell Latitude 131L with an integrated SigmaTel sound card. The
                > > > portable has an AMD mobile processor of some kind @ 1.6ghz, the main PC is a P4@
                > > > 2.53 Mhz.
                > > >
                > > > I'm out of things to try. Any idea what could be the cause of the problem?
                > > >
                > > > 73,
                > > >
                > > > Tom K6EU

              • TLC_Carney
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 1, 2011
                  Thnaks to Bruce, N5SIX, for pointing me in the direction of the cause of the problem. He suggested that I delete the WSJT.ini file and try again. When I did so, FSK-441 worked. However, as soon as I added the rate-in and rate-out corrections numbers the problem reappeared.

                  The sound card settles down at .9796. When I configure this value I get no output using FSK. Set it to .9801 and it works.

                  I've installed WSJT on four or five PCs and never seen one that even required a rate-in/out correction. Thus looks like a sick sound card to me.

                  As for why V7 works, heck if I know. Could be just a slight difference in timing.

                  I'll do some more experimenting after the holiday but may just end up using V7 for FSK-441.

                  Thanks again Bruce.