Re: transverter or tranceiver

  • Bill Dzurilla
    Message 1 of 2 , May 25, 2011
      Hi Leon,

      I have used an IC-7000 for both MS and EME with good results. Drift is not an issue.

      Most serious EMEers use transverters. One reason for this is because serious EME requires high power (kilowatt or more) and, once you exceed 500 watts or so of output, it becomes more difficult to protect the mast-mounted preamp, which is essential to good EME reception. In the preferred preamp-protection relay configuration, you need a separate coax for the receive antenna line, and transverters provide a separate jack for RX antenna input. The IC-7000 and other transceivers do not.

      I use an FT-847 transceiver, which has a simple mod and plenty of room for adding a separate RX antenna jack. There is a similar mod for the TS-2000. I'm not aware of such a mod for the IC-7000. The rig is so small, it might be difficult to find space for the new jack.

      Some also say that transverters perform better and that VHF-UHF performance on the 160m-70cm rigs is less than optimum. I've never used a transverter so can't really comment. With a mast-mounted preamp, I've been satisifed with the performance of both the IC-7000 and the FT-847.

      Good luck and 73, Bill NZ5N

      transverter or tranceiver

      Posted by: "jamesbisch2001"
      leonardp14@...

      jamesbisch2001

      Tue May 24, 2011 2:30 pm (PDT)

      Hello am new name is Leon I don't have any 2 meter equipment and

      would eventually like to try 2 meter moon bounce but just meteor

      scatter for a start.

      Am thinking of the Elecraft 2 meter transverter and an amp, or

      maybe a Icom IC-7000 and the Tokyo 2 meter 400 watt amp. Was wondering

      if either would drift to much I hear that can be a problem

      Appreciate any input

      Have Icom 756ProIII on this minute going to load WSJT for 6 meters.

      Thanks and Good DX,

      Leon WA7ZXZ