Decode

  • w5uc
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 22, 2004
      Greetings All:

      This morning I ran a sked(FSK441)on 2 meters. On at least two
      occasions, I heard a ping and could see it on the graph, but nothing
      decoded. Once I "Left Clicked" on the ping, it decoded and there was
      useful data there. Qrn is set to 2. Is there something else I need
      to do as far as set-up is concerned, or is this just the nature of
      the beast?

      73
      Mike, W5UC
    • Randy Tipton
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 22, 2004

        Mike wrote: Is there something else I need
        to do as far as set-up is concerned, or is this just the nature of
        the beast?

        Hello Mike, I often time use the “Left Click” on Single Tones for better decode using FSK441.  I run with

        QRN set to 5 here. Anytime I hear a ping or have a ping only partially decoded I use the

        Right Mouse Click and many times decode is better. If you’re in a quiet location, often time you might

        hear signals that do not meet the minimums for decoding to even occur so note the time mentally and search

        around on the green line for any indication of a signal and try clicking on it.

        Most the time pings will decode properly but in some occasions being proactive really helps. Listen and observe the

        green line, click good prospects. (especially those you hear)

        Once the DF is know and the “RIT” is set to reduce the DF to near zero and the TOL reduced to 100 or less

        the decoding is generally much better.

        The last thing to learn is patience. Running for 10 minutes and stopping just because you didn’t hear anything

        is a common newbie mistake. A good rule of thumb for skeds under about 1200 miles is plan to run at least 30

        minutes and be happy with anything less. If you’re trying to work short backscatter paths or longer distances it might

        take an hour or more.

        Tip

        This morning I ran a sked(FSK441)on 2 meters.  On at least two
        occasions, I heard a ping and could see it on the graph, but nothing
        decoded.  Once I "Left Clicked" on the ping, it decoded and there was
        useful data there. Qrn is set to 2.  Is there something else I need
        to do as far as set-up is concerned, or is this just the nature of
        the beast?

        73
        Mike, W5UC

        To unsubscribe, send an email to:

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • bbrackin@bellsouth.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 22, 2004
          > Mike wrote: Is there something else I need
          > to do as far as set-up is concerned, or is this just the nature of
          > the beast?

          Mike - in addition to the good advice Tip gave, check to see what the "S" setting is on. If S=2 and you get a 1 db rock, the decode with have to be done manually (right mouse for MT messages and left for ST's). "S" sets threshold that Joe's code uses to trigger auto decode on its on. I can normally run with S=1, particularly on 2m, and don't get too much trash but that will of course depend on local noise conditions. You can sometimes get good full or partial decodes from 1db rock and have gotten a good number of partials out of 0 db ones.

          Bruce, N5SIX
        • w5uc
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 22, 2004
            Thanks Tip. I suspected that was the case. I have been working MS
            since the early 70's, and did a little with MSDSP in the late 90's,
            but this "new fangled" software takes some practice and study. It is,
            however, a ton of fun. My worst problem is line noise. Fortunately,
            it subsides at night and on the weekend. In 1976, to further my
            career, I walked(moved)away from 47 states confirmed on 2 meters.
            Now I want to start over, and this looks like a great way to do it.
            Thanks a bunch..

            73
            Mike, W5UC

            > Mike wrote: Is there something else I need
            > to do as far as set-up is concerned, or is this just the nature of
            > the beast?
            >

            > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Tipton" <wa5ufh@y...>
            wrote:

            > Hello Mike, I often time use the "Left Click" on Single Tones for
            better
            > decode using FSK441. I run with
            >
            > QRN set to 5 here. Anytime I hear a ping or have a ping only
            partially
            > decoded I use the
            >
            > Right Mouse Click and many times decode is better. If you're in a
            quiet
            > location, often time you might
            >
            > hear signals that do not meet the minimums for decoding to even
            occur so
            > note the time mentally and search
            >
            > around on the green line for any indication of a signal and try
            clicking
            > on it.
            >

            > Most the time pings will decode properly but in some occasions being
            > proactive really helps. Listen and observe the
            >
            > green line, click good prospects. (especially those you hear)
            >

            > Once the DF is know and the "RIT" is set to reduce the DF to near
            zero
            > and the TOL reduced to 100 or less
            >
            > the decoding is generally much better.
            >

            > The last thing to learn is patience. Running for 10 minutes and
            stopping
            > just because you didn't hear anything
            >
            > is a common newbie mistake. A good rule of thumb for skeds under
            about
            > 1200 miles is plan to run at least 30
            >
            > minutes and be happy with anything less. If you're trying to work
            short
            > backscatter paths or longer distances it might
            >
            > take an hour or more.
            >

            > Tip

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cl2299e/M=243273.4326031.5516772.1261774/D=
            eg

            roupweb/S=1705063108:HM/EXP=1074880908/A=1750744/R=0/*http:/servedby.a
            dv
            > ertising.com/click/site=552006/bnum=1074794508684592> Click to learn
            > more...
            >

            > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
            M=243273.4326031.5516772.1261774/D=egrou
            > pmail/S=:HM/A=1750744/rand=668836176>
            >

            > _____

          • w5uc
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 22, 2004
              --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, <bbrackin@b...> wrote:
              > > Mike wrote: Is there something else I need
              > > to do as far as set-up is concerned, or is this just the nature
              of
              > > the beast?

              RGR Bruce. That is new info for me. It DOES take a while to learn
              all of the stuff this software will do.. Every few day I sit down
              with the manual to try to find something new, and I still haven't
              discovered it all yet. Thanks

              > Mike - in addition to the good advice Tip gave, check to see what
              the "S" setting is on. If S=2 and you get a 1 db rock, the decode
              with have to be done manually (right mouse for MT messages and left
              for ST's). "S" sets threshold that Joe's code uses to trigger auto
              decode on its on. I can normally run with S=1, particularly on 2m,
              and don't get too much trash but that will of course depend on local
              noise conditions. You can sometimes get good full or partial decodes
              from 1db rock and have gotten a good number of partials out of 0 db
              ones.

              > Bruce, N5SIX
            • jgmags2000
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 17
                I am getting poor decoding with FT8. Some strong signals just do not decode. Is there some set up, for instance will the receiving db need adjusting? I have it set at -30db. Will adjusting that make a difference in decoding? Or is there another thing to adjust. I  have the decode set on Deep and I tried the other normal and fast and it didn't change anything.My Icom-7410  uses Codec for receiving and xmitting.

                any reply, Thank you.
                John KJ1J

              • k3jjj
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 17

                I was having the same problem with FT8 and JT65/9 in V. 1.8  wasn’t decoding much of what I was hearing.

                I switched back to V 1.7

                Bob K3JJJ

                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

                Message 8 of 8 , Jul 17
                  Hi John,

                  often there are multiple signals on the same frequency, this often causes none of them to be decoded.

                  Another issue is that if a station changes their outgoing message part way through a transmission, you will see what appears to be a perfect waterfall trace that is far less likely to be decoded than a similar strength signal containing a consistent message.

                  Candidates for the above are after a CQ call and the first response to a reply to a CQ call.

                  Most, if not all, of the reports of non-decodes after CQ calls and first replies to CQ replies can probably be attributed to these effects.

                  73
                  Bill
                  G4WJS.