WSJT Growth / NA Activity Periods

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2011

      The number of stations looking for random contacts on the call frequencies
      has greatly diminished while the weekend activity level is higher than it
      used to be.

      There are probably several things that influence this. Several stations have
      been wsjt rover during activity periods passing out new grids.The majority
      of stations are making scheduled contacts on the pj logger instead of
      calling CQ on the call frequency. Several just look for new stations to show up
      checking the earwigging pages looking for new grids or stations that
      qualify for maybe the 10K Super Seven Award. These are all worth while
      activities. I think a balanced approach between these modes is best. I try
      to make schedules and random contacts Saturday mornings.

      The stations who make contacts and decode distant stations are all
      encouraged to submit a simple report that is published so others will know
      what we are doing. These reports help promote meteor scatter however the
      number of stations reporting is 'small' . This puzzles me as sending in a report
      only takes a few minutes and the intent of sharing this information is justified.
      When was the last time you read in one of our amateur publications anything at all
      about our meteor scatter activities. So I encourage you to sent those reports into
      WA5DJJ (Saturday)  and KS7S (Sunday). They might encourage someone to
      join the fun plus this information is not available other places.

      So what is the point of my message? Weekends (mornings) continue to be the
      best time for high speed meteor scatter activity periods. Although there is daily
      activity I believe we should continue a focus on activity periods. Like the random activity
      there is also a noticed reduction in two meter activity. Why?

      Where will we be this time next year? Seems we should have well over 100
      earwigging most weekends and many stations calling CQ. What do you think can be done to
      grow the database of wsjt users in NA? For now I recommend we all support
      the weekly activity periods, focus on quality contacts and report our activity during
      the weekend mornings to David and Jim.

      What else can be done to promote NA meteor scatter? Some team should
      study this and put together an action plan!

      Just my comments, not worth too much.

      Tip
      WA5UFH