Re: [wsjtgroup] best sound card for wsjt?

  • Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2011
      If you have an actual PCI 32-bit slot, a sound card for that bus will generally cost you much less than a PCIe sound card (which I had to buy because my new HP desktop doesn’t have any PCI-32 bus slots).

      WSJT was designed so that virtually any sound card will work about as well as any other. It is not a critical application either in terms of signal-to-noise or bandwidth. That said, I would recommend buying a name brand card like Creative Sound Blaster because the driver is likely to be better written, better tested, and more stable. A PCI bus card like the Creative Labs SB0570L4 Sound Blaster Audigy SE, available at Amazon for $29.64 with free shipping, should be more than adequate.

      Bill W5WVO

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2011
        Hi Bill and all:

        Just fwiw, I have been using the on-board HD audio sub-system on my
        Intel P4 board for WSJT with no issues and no change in performance when
        compared to several dedicated cards. (including the Audigy ZS and a Pro
        Audio Lexicon A/D) I use the higher end cards for the SDR stuff here,
        but as you indicated, WSJT will run fine on simple, low cost cards.
        Even the AC97 stuff in laptops will do it.

        Used it with an old Soundblaster awe16 for a couple of years on a p2
        650MHz Win98 machine. Worked fine.

        So pretty much anything will do the job.

        Just my .02c

        Curt
        KU8L