Re: [wsjtgroup] GPS time roving?

  • Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2011
      The secret to keeping your computer clock accurate without updating it automatically is to make sure your computer is not overtaxed. The Windows RTC is a software clock, and it will start to lose time when the CPU gets up towards fully loaded. A computer with cycles to spare will keep fairly accurate time over several weeks.

      I have a so-called “atomic” wristwatch, as well. The cheapie ones can lose up to a second a day between nightly WWVB updates, but mine is a $500 Junghans from Germany, and it is incredibly accurate. I can check it against WWV at any time of the day or night, and it is precisely accurate to as close as I can eyeball it. You get what you pay for LOL.

      I have yet to see a laptop plug-in PCM card with a WWVB receiver on it. Seems like an obvious product, but I guess the only people who care about PC time that accurate when off-line are ham radio rovers – kinda a small market. :-)

      And yes, there ARE GPS-based solutions to this problem. I’m seen them discussed here on this board and on others.

      Bill W5WVO

      Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2011 14:31
      Subject: RE: [wsjtgroup] GPS time roving?

      As far as the time sync issue is concerned, all that is necessary is to have a good clock or watch with you.  If your watch keeps time within a few seconds per month (as my cheap Casio does), then just set it to your home computer or WWV/CHU before you leave on your trip.  Then before you start operating set your computer clock to agree with your clock.  (Or listen to WWV from your portable location if you can).  Even if you get to be two or more seconds off, it will not make much difference for MS or ISCAT, etc.  For EME you have to be a little more careful, but 2 seconds will still work.

      Obviously if you have a long operating session it would be smart to double check the computer against your clock now and then to make sure the computer is keeping time - maybe every 15-30 minutes.

      73 & Happy roving.
      Russ K2TXB