6 meter Quagi ???

  • Jacob Tennant
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 10 9:05 AM
      I found dimensions on the net for a 4 ele & a 6 ele 6 meter quagi's and was
      wondering has anyone tried one of these???

      Have used quagi for 2meters and 440 FM before and they worked great so I
      might be building a 6 meter one very soon...

      Hummmmmmmmmm, might be interesting....

      Jake - K8JWT
    • James Choate
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 10 10:02 AM

        I have been using a 5 element Quagi on 6 meters for over 5 years now on 6 meters. I have worked all 50 states and 71 countries with it, so YES it works great!!  James KC5OAO

        >From: "Jacob Tennant"

        >To: , , , "Gary"
        >Subject: [wsjtgroup] 6 meter Quagi ???
        >Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:05:51 -0400
        >
        >I found dimensions on the net for a 4 ele & a 6 ele 6 meter quagi's and was
        >wondering has anyone tried one of these???
        >
        >Have used quagi for 2meters and 440 FM before and they worked great so I
        >might be building a 6 meter one very soon...
        >
        >Hummmmmmmmmm, might be interesting....
        >
        >Jake - K8JWT

      • Hector Espinosa Flores
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 10 12:54 PM

          FOR EVERY

           For 4 months I am using an antenna cubic cuad of 6 elements for 50MHZ that I designed and with a value of 30 USD. It is in a tower of 12 meters. Almost 3 meters below, I have a directional of 7 elements for 50MHZ.  With the same QSO I have proven both, and it is superior the cubic cuad. Since I use the cubic cuad - and a power of 50 exit watts with TS-690-S - I completed I arrived to 47 States and 52 DXCC.
             With the cubic cuad I achieved a QSO in 6 meters with VP6DI and with BV, A3, VK9, YJ, 3D, etc.
              It is, definitively, an excellent antenna.
              73 of XE1BEF H�CTOR

            James Choate <kc5oao@...> wrote:

          I have been using a 5 element Quagi on 6 meters for over 5 years now on 6 meters. I have worked all 50 states and 71 countries with it, so YES it works great!!  James KC5OAO

          >From: "Jacob Tennant"

          >To: , , , "Gary"
          >Subject: [wsjtgroup] 6 meter Quagi ???
          >Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:05:51 -0400
          >
          >I found dimensions on the net for a 4 ele & a 6 ele 6 meter quagi's and was
          >wondering has anyone tried one of these???
          >
          >Have used quagi for 2meters and 440 FM before and they worked great so I
          >might be building a 6 meter one very soon...
          >
          >Hummmmmmmmmm, might be interesting....
          >
          >Jake - K8JWT

          Do You Yahoo!?

        • JAYB
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 10 5:40 PM
            AT 50 MHZ AND BELOW, QUADS HAVE NO PARTICULAR ELECTRICAL ADVANTAGE OR DISADVANTAGES OVER YAGIS OF EQUAL BOOM LENGTH, ASSUMING BOTH ARE OPTIMALLY FILLED WITH ELEMENTS AND PROPERLY MATCHED. ABOVE 100 MHZ, QUADS ARE HARDER TO BUILD AND TUNE DUE TO SMALL DIMENSION-TOLERANCE ERRORS. CONTRARY TO INTUITION, THE
            CENTER-FED QUAD IS HORIZONTALLY POLARIZED AND OFFERS NO POLARIZATION-DIVERSITY ADVANTAGE.
            YAGIS ARE EASIER TO BUILD, ROTATE AND KEEP IN THE AIR IN BAD WEATHER THAN QUADS SO THEIR ADVANTAGE IS PRETTY MUCH MECHANICAL.
            SINCE MOST DX ON 6 METERS IS E OR F-LAYER SKIP, POLARIZATION SHIFT IS A FACTOR DURING MOST OPENINGS. THE OPTIMUM 6 METER DX ANTENNA IS PROBABLY A SET OF CROSSED YAGIS (EG, 6 EL HORIZONTAL AND 6 EL VERTICAL), SEPARATELY FED AND SWITCHABLE FROM THE SHACK. SELECT THE POLARIZATION WITH THE STRONGEST SIGNAL AND KEEP SAMPLING IT DURING THE OPENING. AN ADDITIONAL ADDED FEATURE COULD BE THE ABILITY TO SIMULTANEOUSLY FEED BOTH THE HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL ANTENNAS THRU VARYING LENGTHS OF PHASING LINES, ALLOWING VARIABLE POLARIZATION ANGLES OF 0, 30, 45, 60, 75 AND 90 DEGREES. THERE ARE TIMES DURING ANY OPENING THAT THE SIGNAL WILL OPTIMIZE AT SOME PARTICULAR POLARIZATION ANGLE BETWEEN 0 AND 90 DEGREES, SO CONTINUALLY SAMPLING THIS ANGLE WITH A COAX SWITCHING ARRANGEMENT SHOULD OPTIMIZE THE POSSIBILITY OF A DX CONTACT.
            TRUTH IS, WAS & DXCC ARE EQUALLY POSSIBLE WITH BOTH STYLES OF ANTENNAS - HAS A WHOLE LOT MORE TO DO WITH PROPAGATION AND LUCK THAN ANYTHING ELSE !!! TOOK ME 42 YEARS TO MAKE DXCC - USED YAGIS, GROUND PLANES, VERTICAL WHIPS, DIPOLES AND LONG WIRES  --- ANYTHING IT TAKES !!!!
            BEST DX TO ALL - LOOKING FOWARD TO THE SUMMER E-S TO BOTH EUROPE AND THE CARRIBEAN.
                             JAY - K2OVS :))