CAT control for TS 2000

  • Wayne Steury
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 8, 2010
      I just purchased a new TS-2000 and want to control it with my PC using a USB port. What interface cable should I get?  I use Ham Radio Deluxe.  I have a Signalink USB interface for WSJT, etc.

      Wayne Steury
      N9EGT
    • Gary
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 8, 2010
        I believe the TS-2000 has a serial RS-232 connector on the back, a DB-9
        as I recall, probably male, so you should be able to get CAT with a
        direct female to female (straight thru) cable. Now here is the rub. Do
        you have a serial port on the computer? If not you will need a USB to
        serial converter. The SignaLink does nothing in the way of CAT. In
        fact, it uses a built in VOX to enable PTT. So unless you want
        frequency and or other radio controls from the computer, CAT is not
        necessary. But it is nice for frequency changes, so the frequency gets
        populated in the log automatically if you are using the HRD logbook, etc.

        73 - Gary - W5GW
      • Wayne Steury
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 8, 2010
          Thanks for your comments, Gary. Yes, I need a USB to the computer. This Gateway with Windows 7 does not have a serial port. I thought that someone out there might have connected their TS-2000 to Ham radio Deluxe and could help me. I understand that there are differences in Serial to USB converters.

          73s,  Wayne Steury  N9EGT

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 8, 2010
            Wayne Steury writes:

            > Thanks for your comments, Gary. Yes, I need a USB to the computer. This Gateway with Windows 7 does not have a serial port. I thought that someone out there might have connected their TS-2000 to Ham radio Deluxe and could help me. I understand that there are differences in Serial to USB converters.
            >
            > 73s, Wayne Steury N9EGT

            Just do a search for Windows 7 USB to Serial Adapters...Many to chose from.

            n5jeh
          • Wayne Steury
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 8, 2010
              FYI everyone -- this looks good ...

              This information was provided to Kenwood USA from a Kenwood end user.

              Kenwood does Not test any Non-Kenwood products so we would be unable to guarantee it.

              This information was provided as a courtesy to Kenwood end users.

              RT Systems makes a USB to DB-9 Serial connection ( USB-63 )and you may view the information on this web page.

              http://www.rtsystemsinc.com/index.cfm

              RT Systems
              P.O. Box 3510
              Rapid City, SD 57709