FT 857

  • N0PB Phil
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2004
      Is anyone on this list using a FT857 or FT897 with WSJT ?
      Would like some reports if possible..
      These rigs have the ability to be used without the need for a Rigblaster or
      anything between rig and computer.
      I am looking for info as to what you used for audio isolation. Or if you
      used any at all.

      Thanks,
      Phil N0PB
    • Lee Scott - AA1YN
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2004
        At 09:40 AM 1/10/2004 -0600, you wrote:
        >Is anyone on this list using a FT857 or FT897 with WSJT ?
        >Would like some reports if possible..
        >These rigs have the ability to be used without the need for a Rigblaster or
        >anything between rig and computer.
        >I am looking for info as to what you used for audio isolation. Or if you
        >used any at all.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >Phil N0PB
        Hi Phil,

        While I don't have the FT857, I have the FT817 - think the audio is same
        being a direct connection off of the back with no level control. I just do
        a direct connect to/from my laptop and use it for FT44/JT65 with no
        problem. I do put a variable 10K resistor to gnd and pull the audio off of
        the wiper to facilitate quick adjustment and leave the level settings on
        the laptop set to max. You do have to put a switching transistor on the
        serial port to switch the rig to transmit. I also use the same setup for
        the ICOM 746.

        If you really need a schematic, let me know.

        Hope this helps
      • N0PB Phil
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2004
          Thanks Lee,
          That is the beauty of the FT857 and 897.. They have what is called digital
          vox. This vox works off of the data input line on the back of the rig. Just
          set the vox so when data is tx'ed to the data input line the vox circuit
          triggers and the rig goes into transmit..
          I haven't set mine up yet so was wanting info from others.
          73,
          Phil N0PB