WSPR 2.20: Frequency Hopping

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2010
      You may have noticed that a few of us have been playing with a version
      of WSPR that does automatic "frequency hopping" from band to band. For
      this we owe a big vote of thanks to Sivan Toledo, 4X6IZ, who wrote most
      of the initial frequency-hoppping code.

      If you would like to try WSPR with frequency hopping, a beta-release of
      WSPR 2.20 is now available at

      Windows:
      http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSPR2.20_r2279.EXE

      Linux:
      http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wspr_2.20r2279_i386.deb

      Select "Frequency Hopping" on the Seup menu, and you'll get a screen
      allowing you to select any desired mix of bands and Tx fractions. Then
      check "Frequency Hop" in the main window, and WSPR will start its normal
      2-minute sequences, switching bands randomly after each one.

      Depending on your station and antenna setup, you might need to
      accomplish other switching besides re-tuning your radio. To make this
      possible in an automated way, whenever WSPR executes a successful
      band-change command to a CAT-controlled radio, it looks for a file named
      "user_hardware.bat", "user_hardware.exe", or "user_hardware" in the
      working directory. If one of these is found, WSPR tries to execute the
      command

      user_hardware nnn

      where nnn is the band-designation wavelength in meters.

      You will need to write your own program, script, or batch file to do the
      necessary switching at your station. I wrote a very simple Python
      program for this purpose. One of my antennas is an "all band" dipole
      fed with open-wire line through an automatic antenna tuner. Others
      include a 160m vertical and a tri-band trap dipole. The antennas are
      selected automatically, by band; and when a transmission on a new band
      starts on the all-band diploe, the tuner adjusts itself during the first
      few seconds of the transmission.

      Many desirable features for a frequency-hopping WSPR are not yet
      implemented. It seems best to get some feedback from experienced users
      before the following things (and surely many others) are added:

      1. Save/Restore of one or more band-hopping setups.
      2. Transmission of a short "tune-up" carrier, to be used by automatic
      antenna tuners, just before starting a normal 2-minute sequence.
      3. Possible changes in the algorithms that determine when to change
      bands and when to transmit. (At present, both are "purely random".)
      4. ...

      As always, comments and suggestions are welcome!

      -- 73, Joe, K1JT
      For the WSJT/MAP65/WSPR Development Team