N5SIX Backscatter Calculator

  • schneiderroger60
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2010
      I have Win 7 OS and can't get the backscatter calculator to work. Microsoft Excel says it cannot run macros without an upgrade ($99). So, I installed OpenOffice and cannot make it run there either. Any ideas?
      Tnx in advance.
    • Barry Garratt
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 30, 2010

        Runs fine on my Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

        It’s an Excel 97-2003 file type so I’m not sure why you are having an issue with it. Have you tried running it in compatibility mode?

        What version of Excel are you using?

        Barry KS7DX

        I have Win 7 OS and can't get the backscatter calculator to work. Microsoft Excel says it cannot run macros without an upgrade ($99). So, I installed OpenOffice and cannot make it run there either. Any ideas?
        Tnx in advance.

      • Ben Nardi
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 30, 2010
          I tried running it in my Win7 OS and only thing I noticed was the security warning about macros in the EXCEL window. When I clicked on options and selected enable it ran ok.

          Ben
          W3ZUP

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 30, 2010
            Barry & Ben, Tnx for responses.  It is Microsoft Excel Starter 2010.  I did not get the full version when I bought this machine.  Didn’t think I would ever use it.  It does exactly what Ben, W3ZUP describes.  But, at that point it wants an upgrade.   Thanks for all your help fellas.

            73 Roger
          • Bruce Brackin
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 30, 2010
              Roger and all - I had a copy of Open Office but never tried the planner
              in it. I've since stripped OO off the PC due to running out of disk
              space. If anyone has experience with macros in Open Office, I'd be
              happy to share what I can remember about developing the planner. There
              was nothing super complicated in it. The Aviation Formulary that the
              planner was cobbled from had tons on additional user defined functions
              and macros that I trimmed out to a large degree since they weren't called.

              Bruce N5SIX
            • K. D. Sarchet
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 4, 2010

                From the Microsoft website (FAQ for Office Starter):

                Q: Files have macros, but they cannot be run in Excel Starter or Word Starter, why?

                A: Office Starter does not support the creation, editing, or running of macros. However, if a document with a macro is opened in Starter, the macro remains as part of the file.

                73 de WY5R - KD