60m operation

  • Bob KD7YZ
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2010
      Anyone around who has tried 60m with WSPR (or WSJT) ?

      I was looking at the "Activity" sidebar on the WSPR-net site:
      http://wsprnet.org/drupal/wsprnet/activity

      there are a few active 60m US stations.

      I can't seem to get my Yaesu FT-950 to be on the frequencies listed in
      the Activity section or what I see on the Database page when selected
      strictly for 60m.

      I show 5.3320, 5.348, 5.368, 5.373, 5.405

      .. a long way from what the Activity page shows as being used.

      Any help wold be appreciated
    • Andy obrien

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2010

          Correct Andy. Only upper sideband is allowed and max ERP is 50 watts relative to a dipole. Bandwidth is also limited to 2.8 KHz.

          Barry KS7DX

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 3, 2010
            On 11/2/2010 11:16 PM, Barry Garratt wrote:

            > Correct Andy. Only upper sideband is allowed and max ERP is 50 watts
            > relative to a dipole. Bandwidth is also limited to 2.8 KHz.

            tnx guys. I have the ARRL Band-Plan sheet right here under the glass. So
            I was confused how I could see US calls listed there and showing as
            Rx/Tx too.
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 3, 2010
              A slightly amended version of WSPR 2.11, with the FMT package, has been
              posted on the WSJT Home Page.

              Direct links are as follows:

              Windows:
              http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSPR2.11_r2250.EXE

              Linux:
              http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wspr_2.11r2250_i386.deb

              There are two significant changes since r2247:

              1. A file was missing that prevented CAT control from working on some
              computers. This file is now included.

              2. A minor bug has been corrected in program fcal.

              If you are testing/using the new tools for accurate frequency
              measurement, please let us hear from you.

              -- 73, Joe, K1JT
            • wb3bel
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 5, 2010
                It seems to me that the requirement to have rig CAT control to do this frequency measurement serves two purposes.

                1. To minimize dial setting errors and improve the user interface.
                2. To enable more rapid frequency measurements thus reducing drift induced errors.

                Perhaps this is not the case.

                Is it possible to pre-compute the dial frequency to 1500 Hz below the carrier frequency in USB mode then enter these frequencies in the radio memory and execute FMT commands one frequency at a time to achieve similar results? Assuming of course that the user makes sure that rig settings like RIT = OFF and IF Shift = OFF etc.

                Is the CAT a requirement as the documentation indicates or is it merely nice to have ?
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 5, 2010
                  Hi Harry and all,

                  Indeed, you can do all setting of dial frequencies manually, and you
                  could use a radio's memory features to store the settings to be used.
                  Try it!

                  -- 73, Joe, K1JT

                  On 11/5/2010 10:38 AM, wb3bel wrote:
                  > It seems to me that the requirement to have rig CAT control to do this frequency measurement serves two purposes.
                  >
                  > 1. To minimize dial setting errors and improve the user interface.
                  > 2. To enable more rapid frequency measurements thus reducing drift induced errors.
                  >
                  > Perhaps this is not the case.
                  >
                  > Is it possible to pre-compute the dial frequency to 1500 Hz below the carrier frequency in USB mode then enter these frequencies in the radio memory and execute FMT commands one frequency at a time to achieve similar results? Assuming of course that the user makes sure that rig settings like RIT = OFF and IF Shift = OFF etc.
                  >
                  > Is the CAT a requirement as the documentation indicates or is it merely nice to have ?
                • David R. Hassall
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 5, 2010

                    Dear Harry and Gang,

                    If it was just doing the Frequency measurement then CAT would not be required.

                    But to get through the Calibration routine so you can do the frequency measurement,

                    The CAT function is almost essential.  So, after setting up the FMT programs  at my

                    Station for the past two days, I would say that CAT is required to make this work

                    Smoothly.

                    I previously had not used CAT control on my radios.  I had built a CAT control adaptor

                    For my computer to my ICOM 756PROIII but had not used it in my station setup.

                    So, When I found out I needed it for Joe’s FMT software, I dug it out and hooked it

                    Up.  That was a whole new learning experience along with learning the FMT measurements.

                    I spent yesterday writing and rewriting Batch files to more automate the process of calibration

                    And then ones for measurements for the November 10, 2010 test.   By automating the tests

                    Somewhat, I am able to get more consistent readings on test signals.  Trying to do all of that

                    Manually will make you busier than a one armed paper hanger in a windstorm.  (Just my

                    Humble opinion)  Too bad I don’t have one of the Flex radios that takes a GPS Disciplined

                    Oscillator (sigh!)  Then frequency measurements would be a piece of cake.

                    73 Dave

                    David R. Hassall WA5DJJ

                    WEBSITE: http://www.zianet.com/dhassall/

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 8, 2010
                      This message is of interest if you will be participating in the ARRL
                      Frequency Measuring Test on Wednesday evening.

                      Slightly amended versions of fmtave.exe and fcal.exe have been posted on
                      the WSJT web site. Direct links to the new executables are:

                      http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/fmtave.exe

                      http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/fcal.exe

                      Instructions for their use remain the same as those posted at

                      http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/FMT_User.pdf

                      The previous versions could produce confusing results if you processed
                      data in the "fmt.all" file format with both calibration and measurement
                      data in the same file. This issue has been fixed.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 16, 2010
                        Ham radio competitions are much more fun when you don't need to wait six
                        months to see the results! Those for last week's ARRL Frequency
                        Measuring Test are already available at
                        http://www.b4h.net/fmt/fmtresults201011.php . Hearty thanks to those
                        responsible for running this interesting and highly educational event!

                        I infer from the "Soapbox" comments that at least 18 entrants used the
                        WSPR/FMT software package to make their measurements. Nearly all
                        obtained some excellent results, and several were in the top category --
                        measurements better than 1 Hz on all seven test signals.
                        Congratulations to all!