Re: [wsjtgroup] interfaces

  • w3sz
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 20, 2010
      Hi Andy,

      Your commend on the relative merits of the radios is interesting!

      How is the rigblaster 'unimpressive' relative to the Microkeyer?

      I have been using rigblasters since they were first introduced and have
      not noticed any problems with them here. I have used them both with
      conventional rigs [FT-1000MP Mk V, K3], and with SDR's [SDR-1000, Flex
      5000, and HPSDR] and haven't found anything to be lacking or to fail to
      work.

      What have I been missing?

      Thanks in advance,

      73,

      W3SZ
      Roger Rehr
      http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz

      On 10/20/2010 10:45 PM, Andy obrien wrote:

      > I use a Microham Microkeyer , have done so for four years, very
      > functional. In the past few weeks I have also had a Rigblaster Pro in
      > my shack and a USB Signalink. The rigblaster was unimpressive compared
      > to the Microkeyer. The Signalink does the basic job but the VOX system
      > has some limitations on some digital modes and some applications. . I
      > do not have experience with the US navigator but I do feel the support
      > from Microham, the quality of workmanship, and the very sophisticated
      > "device router" places, the Microkeyer among the very top performers.
      >
      > Andy K3UK
    • Russ K2TXB
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 20, 2010
        Wow. I hit the jackpot with all the responses.  Thanks to everyone for their information.  After a night running EME I cannot do all the comments justice right now but will try to give some useful feedback tomorrow after I summarize them all for my talk.

        73, Russ K2TXB

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 21, 2010

          Russ,

          I use the “Microham USB 2” interface, it’s very good and easy to use with all software.

          I’ve also recently used an interface from Tigertronics, this is also easy to use with the added advantage of volume control on the unit itself. (both TX and RX)

          73,

          Andy

          http://gd0tep.com

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 21, 2010

            Russ,

            I use the MicroHAM Microkeyer 2 - the features and setup controls are terrific, so also the support. I selected this over a US Navigator when making my purchase about 2 years ago.

            The MK2 has a built-in low noise soundcard and all features are activated with just a USB cable to the station PC. Of course you have the other cables for LNA & PA PTT (sequenced) which would be useful for EME/MS work as well as rig specific connection cables.

            I just chnaged to a new station PC today and to move the MK2 setup took me all of 15 minutes after which i had the entire station running on the new PC just like before :)

            73 de Prasad VU2PTT.

            On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 1:02 AM, Russ K2TXB <k2txb@...> wrote:

            Hi All. I'd like to hear from anyone who is using a sound card interface to their radio that is not made by West Mountain Radio (Rig Blaster) and not home made (I already know about those).  I want to compile a list of interfaces that are in use.  Just the name of the interface would be useful.  If you want to make a comment or two about how well it works or about any problems that would be fine too.  I'd appreciate a quick response on this if you can because I want to include the information in a talk for Thursday night.

            Thanks, 73 - Russ K2TXB

          • David R. Hassall
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 21, 2010

              Dear Group,

              I am using a Buxxcom Rascal Kit as my interface.  My computer still has one serial port.

              I key the radio using Com1 serial port.  Works great and is very simple.  On my laptop

              I use the same interface with a USB to SERIAL interface dongle.  That is what I use

              When I am roving.

              73 Dave

              David R. Hassall WA5DJJ

              WEBSITE: http://www.zianet.com/dhassall/