I will be off the air a few days, wa5ufh

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2002
      I will be off a few days because of a surge during a electrical storm.
      Will see everyone on Ping Jockey when by station is operational again.

      Stop reading here unless you want more details. HiHi
      Tip
      WA5UFH

      Well after many years being a ham, I got hit by lightening. Hope it is
      true, the old saying that lightening never hits twice the same
      location. It was a powerful electrical storm, lasted about 3 hours. We
      were aware of the storm prior to going to bed because of the weather
      reports so we carefully disconnected all the coax, rotor cables and
      unplugged the 50 Amp supply. I even turned off the poser to the surge
      protector to the PC.

      Well the next morning I discovered my surge protector had blown on the
      PC modem. I felt a little proud of the fact the surge protector saving
      my PC modem. Who know, even the maybe the whole PC! As I bypassed the
      Surge protector and started up the PC everything was looking good. The
      PC booted and there I was getting online.

      Well, next the news was bad. The satellite TV would not work. After
      checking it and confirming that it took a surge from the phone line I
      started wondering why I didn't have a surge protector on it. Oh well.

      The next step was to check the other phones and electronic appliances.
      I did find the plastic cover on the phone termination box out on the
      utility pole had been blown off but no evidence of arcing? I went back
      and did some work on the PC then decided to check on the cattle. After
      finding all the heard accounted for, but deep in the woods, they were
      a little spooked, I decided to go back and listen to the radios.

      When launching WSJT, the computer started operating strange. It was
      slowing down, I exited out and went to a PSK application. It stopped
      working. Alt-Tab would not report and applications as being open. The
      task bar disappeared, Windows was very sick. I ended up having to
      Ctrl-Alt - Del. This happened many times, I have never seen windows
      act so strange and no error messaged? Windows started in Safe Mode
      most times after trying sound board applications. That was a sure
      clue. The PC would run flawlessly any application that didn't
      recognize a soundboard. It took a while to realize this so I am
      thinking the worse. The day before I installed a CDRW but it was
      checked out very well.

      After realizing windows was crashing because of the soundboard
      applications I went to the System Device Manager and Disabled the
      soundboard. The PC started operating again and things are looking up.
      I went and purchased a cheap Sound . Blaster 16PCI but had problem
      getting it to work with existing interface. Also it didn't have
      ability to swap from left to right audio channels and .. Well I just
      didn't like the way it was working. I have ordered a new SoundBoard
      but while playing with the 16PCI board I found the 4N25 Optic Coupler
      not switching. Guess the lightening got to it also! I have heard
      after others taking a surge and finding thins wrong for a while. I
      hope there are no more surprises, 4N25 and Sound Card on order.

      I am still trying to figure how the Surge Protector for the phone line
      saved the Modem but yet my sound board was taken out? I have good
      isolation with the interface. I opened up the surge protector, and it
      was very burnt!

      In a way I feel very fortunate that my IC746 ,TS 680 and TS130 were
      not damaged.
      Be back when everything is working again.

      Randy Tipton (Tip)
      WA5UFH EL19pa

      My Web Page
      http://www.qsl.net/wa5ufh/
      WSJT Group
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wsjtgroup/?yguid=6309253

      Scriptures I would like to share with you:
      Heb 5:9; Acts 2:38; Rom 16:16: Eph 4: 1 - 7; John 17:20 - 23