Re: [wsjtgroup] Amplifiers to kb4zgo

  • jay123
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2004
      KB4ZGO: hi - my experience with various tube and solid-state power amps for 6 and 2 m have led me to the TE Systems VHF amps which are very well designed and constructed and will run 80% or more rated output key-down forever with a small cooling fan sitting on top of the units. I use the TE 0510G amp on 6m which puts out a solid 175-200 watts with 20 watts of drive and the TE 1412G amp on 2m which puts out over 200 w with 25 watts of drive.
      The small muffin fan is the secret to getting these "bricks" to run at the 50% duty cycle level forever. The heat sinks should only be warm to the touch (maybe 100 degrees F); if they are hotter, cut down the drive or get a bigger fan !!
      The TE System amps also have very nice pre-amps built-in so they do help in the receive department also. Look for them for sale on E-Bay used or buy direct from the factory (they advertise in QST, have NO website...)
      Forget tubes at these power levels - they are too big, heavy, require tuning, burn out, expensive, and otherwise annoying. If you must have a KW or more, tubes are there for you .
      Gud luck - see you on the ROX !!!
      Jay K2OVS FN30rx
    • jim bennett
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2004
        Power is fine and it will definitely help, but the biggest gains are achieved by spending the time and money on antennas and "FEEDLINES" All the power in the world will not help if either of these two are not at the best you can afford. Put 200 watts into a feedline with 3 dB of loss and 100 watts dribbles out the other end.....the higher the loss the less there is to dribble.

        jim
        K4KAE
[...]

        To unsubscribe, send an email to:

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Dan Evans
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2004
          Power is fine and it will definitely help, but the biggest gains are achieved by spending the time and money on antennas and "FEEDLINES" jim
          K4KAE

          Just FYI,
          I've found some really good buys on short runs of Andrews FSJ4-50B 1/2" heliax on ebay lately.

          73
          Dan

          Dan Evans K9ZF
          Scottsburg, IN 47170