RE: [wsjtgroup] Software keying?

  • Andy GD0TEP
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
      Message

      I’ve just installed the update “upd434” and now when I try and run either WSJT or WSJT4 I get the following:

      Component ‘RICHTX32.OCX’ or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

      Anyone know how I get around this??

      Andy

    • Andy GD0TEP
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
        Message

        All sorted now, a complete un-install then re-install from scratch sorted out the problem.

      • Andy GD0TEP
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 13, 2004
          Message

          Hi people,

          Having transferred WSJT to my P3 laptop, I’ve found that the time keeping while running the programme isn’t as good as it could be…

          So… I’ve tried time keeping software, and I have to say that I’m not impressed…    Anyway, I have an Oregon Scientific Weather Station that picks up a radio time signal, what I’m looking for is information on how I get the time signal from the WX station and use it to set my PC time…

          Has anyone tried this before?

          Any info appreciated.

          Andy

        • Andy GD0TEP
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 20, 2004
            Message

            Hello again people.

            Just how important is time keeping when using either JT44, or JT65 for EME?

            The reason for my question is this:

            When I am at home, my PC is linked to the internet via broadband, and as such I’m running NMEAtime to keep the PC clock right. I can double check this by telephoning the ‘speaking clock’ (in the UK you dial 1,2,3, I assume other countries have the same?)

            Anyway, the PC time is constant and concurs with both the speaking clock and my radio controlled clock (Junghans radio controlled from Germany)

            Now, here’s my problem. When I try any skeds on 6m EME with either JT44 or JT65, I have to use an alternative site that doesn’t have access to the internet. So, I purchased a GPS PCMCIA card for my laptop, and I’m using NMEAtime with this to keep my laptop time right. The problem is, there is a difference between the two times… This difference is a second! This second difference remains constant. I’ve even altered the setting within NMEAtime to try and adjust for slow communications from the GPS to the PC, but without success.

            I had thought that getting this GPS would solve my time keeping problem, only using it seems to have given me different problem!

            Maybe I need software that contains a greater amount of time adjustment? If so, what is there?

            Anyone got any ideas?

            Cheers,

            And thanks in advance.

            Andy

            GD0TEP

          • Mike Hasselbeck
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 20, 2004
              > using NMEAtime with this to keep my laptop time right. The problem is,
              > there is a difference between the two times. This difference is a
              > second! This second difference remains constant.

              Andy - this is essentially what I have seen using the GPS and NMEATime, but
              the fix ix pretty easy. Open NMEATime Properties -> Configure GPS. There is
              a window there that says "GPS set time fix-up delay". If your PC clock is
              reproducibly slow relative to an accurate reference by say 1 second, put 1000
              ms in that window. You can fine tune this to the nearest millisecond, but I
              found my eye is only good to about 100 ms! This will be plenty accurate
              enough for the JT modes of WSJT.

              If that doesn't work, there is probably something wrong with the way NMEATime
              is talking to your PC. On my older machine with minimal RAM, I sometimes
              find I cannot get NMEATime to set the PC clock if WSJT is already running,
              ie. busy doing decodes. I just have to remember to start NMEATime and have
              it update the PC clock before commencing a WSJT run. If that still doesn't
              work, contact Monte at Visual GPS and ask for help (you'll probably need to
              purchase the program at that point!). He updates NMEATime periodically and
              the newest version might deal with your specific bug.

              The other approach is putting the appropriate Dsec delay directly into WSJT,
              but that is only in increments of 1 second; still will likely be good enough.

              Mike WB2FKO
              New Mexico, USA
            • Andy GD0TEP
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 21, 2004
                Hi Mike,

                Thanks for the email.
                What I've decided to try is to keep the GPS timing, then use the 'dsec'
                adjustment within WSJT (I didn't realise that was even there) When I
                next try EME on 6m, I'll find out how it goes, unfortunately, I'm not
                sure when that'll be.

                Thanks to all those who replied, both direct and via the list, cheers!

                Andy
                GD0TEP

              • john@n6enu.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 10, 2004