6 Meter digital with wsjt

  • ian_73wine
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2010
      Hello All-

      Forgive the long winded post, I promise there is a question about WSJT at the end...

      Basic background:

      HF does NOT stimulate me, 6 Meter does.
      Budget at some point will allow for ONE 60' tower, 6 meter yagi and rotator going on that tower.

      I have no rig at the moment.

      Here is the question: will the Ranger 6 Meter only rig be able to handle the 30 second full transmit of J5TM, and other WSJT programs?

      Or do I have to buy one of those all mode all band rigs for more money?

      Thanks in advance for your guidance.

      -KB8ZVJ
    • Jerry
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2010
        Ian.. I had a Ranger 6M 100W Rig.. and could 'Not Get it to PTT' on WSJT ! Maybe something I was overlooking..so Sold It !  Also, if you read the Reviews on E-Ham.net, etc.. Its considered a '6M CB'.. not too many guys give it a very good rating for a 6M Rig..probably work fine as a /M or /P Rig..but for MS ?  Just, I Sold mine before any 6M activity even started..so I cannot give you a 'Full, Honest Report' on the Rig  !
        Just my 'Honest Opinion'..
        Good Luck with your choice..
        Jerry VE6CPP
        DN39or

        ian_73wine wrote:

        Hello All-

        Forgive the long winded post, I promise there is a question about WSJT at the end...

        Basic background:

        HF does NOT stimulate me, 6 Meter does.
        Budget at some point will allow for ONE 60' tower, 6 meter yagi and rotator going on that tower.

        I have no rig at the moment.

        Here is the question: will the Ranger 6 Meter only rig be able to handle the 30 second full transmit of J5TM, and other WSJT programs?

        Or do I have to buy one of those all mode all band rigs for more money?

        Thanks in advance for your guidance.

        -KB8ZVJ

      • Dave Sparks
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2010
          I have an FT-857 and I still need to cut the power back to 50-55 watts to
          keep from overheating it with WSJT. Of course, I could turn the power up to
          100 W. and decrease the audio drive, which would accomplish the same thing.

          --
          Dave - AF6AS

          > Forgive the long winded post, I promise there is a question about WSJT at
          > the end...
          >
          > Basic background:
          >
          > HF does NOT stimulate me, 6 Meter does.
          > Budget at some point will allow for ONE 60' tower, 6 meter yagi and
          > rotator going on that tower.
          >
          > I have no rig at the moment.
          >
          > Here is the question: will the Ranger 6 Meter only rig be able to handle
          > the 30 second full transmit of J5TM, and other WSJT programs?
          >
          > Or do I have to buy one of those all mode all band rigs for more money?
          >
          > Thanks in advance for your guidance.
          >
          > -KB8ZVJ

          > WSJTGroup HomePage http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 5, 2010
            If you really want no HF coverage, you can look for any of the 6-meters-only or VHF/UHF multi-band all-mode radios made over the last couple of decades. Do your research online. I have no advice to offer, because I operate both HF and 6 meters. I own a K3, arguably the best all-band, all-mode radio out there. I highly recommend it for 6 meters.

            But scratch the Ranger off the list before you start. It's what Jerry said it is. It probably even comes complete with a Roger Beep. [aarrgghhhh] Not suitable for serious amateur radio use on weak-signal VHF modes.

            Bill W5WVO
            DM65qh