Re: [wsjtgroup] Shortest 6m m/s QSO ever?

  • jeff millar
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5 5:04 PM
      I've made one or two QSO with both antenna pointed to the same space. One was
      between my hilltop in NH and the other station in NJ...which I could hear
      groundwave. We both pointed to Ohio as I recall and worked.

      That suggests that for random hour we should all point to the same place in the
      sky as a way to improve contact rates. Something like "everybody in the NE
      point to Pittsburgh".

      jeff, wa1hco

      On 09/05/2010 12:39 PM, Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO wrote:

      > This morning, Bill (N5RKD, Santa Fe, NM) and Bill (W5WVO, Rio Rancho,
      > NM) worked on 6m backscatter m/s. To accomplish this, we first carefully
      > oriented our yagis side-to-side to completely null out our sky-wave
      > tropo signals, then completed the QSO on the rocks using backscatter
      > pings, most of which were under 100 ms. The distance between our QTHs is
      > 43.7 miles. It was a new m/s grid square for both of us -- our own!
      > Anybody have a shorter claim? You don't normally think of DX records as
      > being "shortest", but hey, why not?
      > Bill W5WVO
    • Randy Tipton
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5 5:33 PM

        Nice contact Bill, short distance or now was it? Consider the BS path might have been 400 miles out and 400 miles back ... now that is 800 miles. lol During Random Hour I hear stations on backscatter often time who are less than 400 miles from me. They are easy contacts provided the other station doesn't move his antenna when he hears you calling.

        Backscatter pings on six meters or more like the two meter forward scatter pings. Shorter and often times very strong.  Exciting to hear and decode.

        A while back Bruce (N5SIX) provided us all with a Backscatter Calculator. If you can accept excel files, this one works very well. Download it and put it on your desktop so it will be handy for making BS contacts on  PJ.  Take a look at it on the webpage or simply click below...

        tip
        wa5ufh