Small software glitch....WSJT 7.03 .deb

  • ClarenceC
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2010
      Hey, just passing this along for the record.

      Just started using WSJT 7.03 r1090, running on Ubuntu linux and it's the .deb file. It was a really slick install and once I worked out my interface issues the software runs flawlessly.....well mostly.

      The first week I started using JT65a I had a lot of contacts where, after establishing initial contact, the other guy kept repeating my signal report, i.e. indicating that he was not receiving his. Once I received a free text...."sig rpt?". Since I never run more than 5 watts I thought it was a reception issue. After a couple of times though I rethought the issue.....

      Turns out for some reason if I send a signal report with a single digit, e.g. I am acknowledging his report and sending "R-7", the message will drop the numerical report altogether and send only the two callsigns. To the other guy it looked like I was sending W6XYZ WB0FDJ. However if I manually insert a leading digit and change the report to say "R-07" it goes through intact without difficulty. If the signal report was 2 digits anyway...."R-15" then it would send the whole report.

      This may well be one of those weird "one-of-a-kind" things that is only affecting my computer, who knows? Just wanted to pass this along. And, while I am at it, hats off to Joe and all who help maintain this software. For the diehard QRPer like myself JT65a is a very slick way to make contacts and I appreciate the effort!

      Thanks.

      DOC. WB0FDJ/qrp
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2010
        Hi Doc and all,

        It's not a one-of-a-kind thing. From the WSJT6 User's Guide and
        Reference Manual, page 15:

        ----
        An add-on country prefix followed by “/”, a suffix preceded by “/”, a
        signal report of the form “–NN” or “R–NN”, or the message fragments
        “RO”, “RRR” or “73” can be substituted for the grid locator. The minus
        sign in the numerical report is required, and the two-digit number NN
        must lie between 01 and 30.
        ----

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT

        On 9/4/2010 10:07 AM, ClarenceC wrote:
        > Hey, just passing this along for the record.
        >
        > Just started using WSJT 7.03 r1090, running on Ubuntu linux and it's the .deb file. It was a really slick install and once I worked out my interface issues the software runs flawlessly.....well mostly.
        >
        > The first week I started using JT65a I had a lot of contacts where, after establishing initial contact, the other guy kept repeating my signal report, i.e. indicating that he was not receiving his. Once I received a free text...."sig rpt?". Since I never run more than 5 watts I thought it was a reception issue. After a couple of times though I rethought the issue.....
        >
        > Turns out for some reason if I send a signal report with a single digit, e.g. I am acknowledging his report and sending "R-7", the message will drop the numerical report altogether and send only the two callsigns. To the other guy it looked like I was sending W6XYZ WB0FDJ. However if I manually insert a leading digit and change the report to say "R-07" it goes through intact without difficulty. If the signal report was 2 digits anyway...."R-15" then it would send the whole report.
        >
        > This may well be one of those weird "one-of-a-kind" things that is only affecting my computer, who knows? Just wanted to pass this along. And, while I am at it, hats off to Joe and all who help maintain this software. For the diehard QRPer like myself JT65a is a very slick way to make contacts and I appreciate the effort!
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > DOC. WB0FDJ/qrp
      • K. D. Sarchet
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2010

          I’m not running the linux version, but the same version under Windows does not have this issue.  While the message in the Tx2 and Tx3 text box may contain -7 or R-7, what is transmitted is actually -07 or R-07 as seen in the Txing label in the lower right side of the WSJT screen.

          73 de WY5R - KD