Spec JT bug?

  • pde_porter
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 13, 2010
      I was going to try EME near my moon set tonight, but I discovered Spec JT would not display any noise or traces when running in any mode other than H1 or H2. I downloaded and reinstalled V7.07 r2031. Is this a known bug, or do I need to investigate a hardware problem. Everything else, including the main screen, appears to be running normally.

      Tnx, Phil - N1KI
    • Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 13, 2010
        Hi Phil,

        H1 and H2 are not "modes", they're horizontal display speed settings. These settings apply to the transmission modes that use the horizontal waterfall, FSK441 and  JT6M.

        The vertical waterfall is used by JT65A, JT65B, and JT65C. The speed settings for JT65 are the 1 through 5 radio buttons to the left of H1 and H2. If only H1 and H2 are available to you, that means you are not in one of the JT65 transmission modes.

        You select the transmission mode by clicking the Mode menu bar selection and then clicking on the transmission mode you want. If you are running EME on 6 meters, that would be JT65A; for 2 meter EME, JT65B; and for 70 cm EME, JT65C. When you select one of these transmission modes, one of the "1 through 5" vertical speed settings will automatically be selected for you. You can change the display speed to a faster or slower setting if you prefer. Faster speed settings use more computer resources.

        These radio buttons have nothing to do with the operation of the program or its decoder. They are just display speed settings.

        I think if you select JT65A from the Mode menu, you will find that you see a vertical waterfall. In addition, "JT65A" should show up on the bottomn status bar with a cyan background. This color is reserved for the JT65 modes. Adjust the slider to the right of the time display in SpecJT to produce about 0 dB of background noise.

        Be sure and read the excellent manual Joe has written for WSJT. It should already be in your WSJT7 folder under Program Files -- the filename is WSJT_User_600.pdf. You might want to move it out of that folder and onto your desktop for easy access.

        Hope this helps --

        Bill W5WVO

        Sent: Saturday, August 14, 2010 01:47
        Subject: [wsjtgroup] Spec JT bug?

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 14, 2010
          Right. Maybe I used the wrong words to describe the problem, but when my spectrum display is plotting horizontally, it works. When I am using a mode that plots vertically, it doesn't. That is what I am trying to figure out how to correct. I've read the user's manual many times in the ten plus years that I have been using WSJT. And it is a fine one.
        • Giuseppe Giunta - IT9VDQ
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 15, 2010
            Hi Joe & list,
            sorry for my bad english..... After 24 hour of Perseidis "MS Sprint contest", sponsored by Dubus magazine and MMMonVHF,
            I have a request, probabily "off topic", so sorry for that.
            We (IT9BLB & me) was using last version wsjt for fsk441 mode and a logging software (I use DXbase since dos version) for the qso's.
            It was very hard and very noisy to jump from a software to another, all 24 hours contest long, to send fsk and to keep note of all
            qso details, like date, time, reports, notes, and whatever needed for the contest qso.... Many confusion and many errors.

            So, my request is to 'little bit' modify the existing 'log' adding some very important qso info like RST-send, RST-rec,
            Start-gmt,  and maybe a NOTES field to record info like exact frequency (144.357 or .357) and burst reflections info
            (1230ms/8dB - 9 burst); the layout should be as following, but it is only a suggestion:

            Date                 Start  Call           Send Rec  Mode       Grid       Qrb    End  Notes
            2010-Aug-13  12:00 DJ1TU      R26   26    FSK441 JN48TR 1210  210  .352 380ms/5dB 3burst

            Some of the above info already are showed on the wsjt existing log (date, end-time, mode, loc) some other no (start-time, both-reports, Notes).
            Start-time: wsjt should add this info to the log when we type a callsign in the "To radio:" field-box or when we double-clik on the screen callsign string
            RST-send: info already present in wsjt, the software should only put it in the log
            RST-rec: double clik in the corrispondent screen report and wsjt should only put it in the log
            Qrb: wsjt already calculate the distance between two grids, so it needed just to put QRB in the log
            Notes: at present, hitting "Log QSO" button, a little window "Please confirm making the following entry in WSJT.LOG" pop-up; should be:
            "Please wish to add some notes to Qso?" (with an empty line field)-You write some info like 'best 1820ms/10dB - 10 burst' and hit "Yes" button

            In this way, when in the contest we do many and many qso's, we can use ONLY ONE software (wsjt) for both FSK and logging qso
            without missing any crucially qso's info. Such suggested new wsjt (.TXT) file will be a complete useful log to import everyware.
            Thank you for your attention.

            73 de Gius, IT9VDQ
            PS: as I am not a programmer but only a wsjt enthusiast Ham, for me every request it is an "easy to do" request, so my apologys for that!

          • Giuseppe Giunta - IT9VDQ
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 15, 2010
              Hello Bruce,
              nice! So we are two now..... hi hi hi hi
              IT9VDQ