FW: Perseid Meteor Shower Peaks Tonight

  • john flinn
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 12, 2010

      > From: swlist@...
      > To: swlist@...
      > Subject: Perseid Meteor Shower Peaks Tonight
      > Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 00:58:45 -0500
      >
      > Space Weather News for August 12, 2010
      > http://spaceweather.com
      >
      > PERSEID METEOR SHOWER: The annual Perseid meteor shower is underway. Earth is passing through a wide stream of debris from Comet Swift-Tuttle, and each time a fleck of comet dust hits Earth's atmosphere--flash!--there is a meteor. Forecasters say the shower will peak on Thursday, August 12th, and Friday, August 13th. You can see Perseids flitting across the sky at any time between about 10 pm on Thursday evening and sunrise on Friday morning. Observers who get away from city lights can expect to count dozens of meteors per hour, especially during the dark hours before dawn.
      >
      > Tune into http://spaceweather.com for full coverage of the shower, including a live meteor radar, a "fireball cam," updated meteor counts and pictures from around the world.
      >
      > BONUS: If you go outside a little early on Thursday evening, around sunset, you'll see a beautiful gathering of planets in the sunset sky--Venus, Mars, Saturn and the crescent Moon. It's a nice way to start a meteor watch. Sky maps may be found at http://spaceweather.com.
      >
      > LOOKING FOR THE INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION? Your cell phone can lead you right to it. Check out our field-tested satellite tracker for the iPhone and Android at http://simpleflybys.com.
      >
      > You are subscribed to the Space Weather mailing list, a free service of Spaceweather.com.
      >
      > New subscribers may sign up for free space weather alerts at http://spaceweather.com/services/ .

    • David Hilton-Jones
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 13, 2010
        I know this has been asked before but....

        Anyone know why v7.07 running in JT6M mode sometimes crashes with a message about runtime error and that the programme asked to close in an unusual way?

        73

        David, G4YTL
      • Peter Frenning
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 13, 2010
          fre, 13 08 2010 kl. 11:34 +0100, skrev David Hilton-Jones:
          I know this has been asked before but....

          Anyone know why v7.07 running in JT6M mode sometimes crashes with a message about runtime error and that the programme asked to close in an unusual way?

          73

          David, G4YTL

          On which platform David?
          (and, I wouldn't worry too much about it, there will soon be a substantially revised version available)

          Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

          ** Genius is one per cent inspiration, **
          ** and ninety-nine per cent            **
          ** perspiration.                       **
          **               -- Thomas A. Edison   **
          email: peter(no-spam filler)@...
          http://www.frenning.dk/oz1pif.htm
          Ph. +45 4619 3239
          Snailmail:
          Peter Frenning
          Ternevej 23
          DK-4130 Viby Sj.
          Denmark

        • David Hilton-Jones
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 13, 2010
            Sorry. Windows XP. Over the years, even with earlier versions of wsjt, it is only JT6M I have ever had problems with.

            It crashed this morning, but then worked fine for a QSO after that.

            David

            >>> Peter Frenning <peter@...> 13/08/2010 11:07 >>>
            fre, 13 08 2010 kl. 11:34 +0100, skrev David Hilton-Jones:

            > I know this has been asked before but....
            >
            > Anyone know why v7.07 running in JT6M mode sometimes crashes with a message about runtime error and that the programme asked to close in an unusual way?
            >
            > 73
            >
            > David, G4YTL

            On which platform David?
            (and, I wouldn't worry too much about it, there will soon be a
            substantially revised version available)

            Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

            ** Genius is one per cent inspiration, **
            ** and ninety-nine per cent **
            ** perspiration. **
            ** -- Thomas A. Edison **
            email: peter(no-spam filler)@...
            http://www.frenning.dk/oz1pif.htm
            Ph. +45 4619 3239
            Snailmail:
            Peter Frenning
            Ternevej 23
            DK-4130 Viby Sj.
            Denmark
          • Stew
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 11 8:54 AM
              Has the Runtime error ever been solved?
              I installed WSJT9 on my Windows 7 machine and it ran once. After I updated the settings the program would not reload. I get the "this application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way" error.
              After searching the achives I reinstalled the program in it's own C\ file. It then ran two or three times and is now doing the same thing.

              Please help me if you can.
              73
              Stew ke4yh
            • aj9c@indy.rr.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 11 8:56 AM
                The same thing happens to me. I am using Vista Business.

                ---- Stew <ke4yh@...> wrote:
                > Has the Runtime error ever been solved?
                > I installed WSJT9 on my Windows 7 machine and it ran once. After I updated the settings the program would not reload. I get the "this application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way" error.
                > After searching the achives I reinstalled the program in it's own C\ file. It then ran two or three times and is now doing the same thing.
                >
                > Please help me if you can.
                > 73
                > Stew ke4yh

              • Stew
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 11 9:06 AM
                  On 7/11/2011 11:54 AM, Stew wrote:

                  Has the Runtime error ever been solved?
                  I installed WSJT9 on my Windows 7 machine and it ran once. After I updated the settings the program would not reload. I get the "this application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way" error.
                  After searching the achives I reinstalled the program in it's own C\ file. It then ran two or three times and is now doing the same thing.

                  Please help me if you can.
                  73
                  Stew ke4yh

                  I might add that I cannot find a WSJT.ini or WSJT9.ini file. My OS is Windows 7 Pro.
                  Stew

                • Alex SV1NZX
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 11 9:38 AM
                    Hello

                    WSJT.ini is in the directory - i have it here. Yes, i've had the same issue as well, but a clean install and, depending on the PC, Run as Administrator should solve the issues.
                    Try that and if it works, you can set it up permanently in the program shortcut

                    73 de Alex
                    F/SV1NZX

                    On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 6:06 PM, Stew <ke4yh@...> wrote:

                    On 7/11/2011 11:54 AM, Stew wrote:

                    Has the Runtime error ever been solved?
                    I installed WSJT9 on my Windows 7 machine and it ran once. After I updated the settings the program would not reload. I get the "this application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way" error.
                    After searching the achives I reinstalled the program in it's own C\ file. It then ran two or three times and is now doing the same thing.

                    Please help me if you can.
                    73
                    Stew ke4yh

                    I might add that I cannot find a WSJT.ini or WSJT9.ini file. My OS is Windows 7 Pro.
                    Stew

                  • Russ K2TXB
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 11 1:27 PM
                      Stew, I have a new Windows7 (64 bit) machine on the way.  I'll let you know if I have the same problem.

                      73, Russ K2TXB

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 11 1:45 PM
                        PS: Try logging in as administrator and see if it works.  The likely problem is that Win7 does not give you permission to write to an ini file if it is in the Program Files directory.  Moving the program to C:\ as you have indicated should solve that, but since you say you still do not see any ini file, something is still preventing the writing of that file.  Logging in as administrator should allow the wite no matter where.

                        Good luck, Russ K2TXB

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 12 7:57 AM
                          OK guys thanks for the help and suggestions. I have it working now.
                          WSJT9 runs in it's own file under C\:
                          I delete my grid from the setup before shutting down:
                          Because I live alone, and am the only user of this computer, I'm always
                          logged in as Administrator:

                          I am limited on antennas right now. Using a forty meter sky loop but I
                          should hear the stronger signals on 6 meters.
                          I have a Maxon for 6m and a 13 el yagi for 2m hanging on the back fence
                          and will get some new coax run and get them up when the weather cools a
                          little.

                          What frequencies should I be tuned to on 6 meters?

                          Thanks again for all the help
                          73
                          Stew ke4yh
                        • Bruce Brackin
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 18 2:30 PM
                            On 7/12/2011 9:57 AM, Stew wrote:
                            > What frequencies should I be tuned to on 6 meters?

                            Stu - Good deal on getting the program working.

                            The main calling freq most use (and should use!) is 50.260 for m/s
                            FSK441 and ISCAT. If you are watching PJ, you will see folks announce
                            CQ's all over the map - hi. Folks traveling about on grid trips will
                            often announce to this and and the FFMA group what their operating freq
                            will be for WSJT modes as well as SSB/CW. If you want to try JT65A,
                            then 50.276 seems to be becoming the main freq for that.

                            Learn to use the offset calling technique:
                            http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/WSJTGROUP/randomhour.htm
                            I worked 5 randoms on 6m ms yesterday morning in an hour or so using
                            offset calling. Only one was on PJ or showing on the earwigging page.

                            If you get 2m going, 144.140 is the calling freq there.

                            Bruce N5SIX