Two Meter WSPR

  • Phil KD7ZD
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
      About an hour ago I copied a station on Wake Island and one in Illinois on 2 meter WSPR.

      I guess this Aurora is making things happen.

      Phil
      KD7ZD

    • Clay W7CE
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
        Nice! If I remember correctly, the number after their call/grid is their
        power in dBm. Is that correct. If so, both stations were running 5W! Too
        bad I'm not home. I can only work 6M remotely right now.

        73,
        Clay W7CE
        CN87oa

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010

          I'm using a vertical so it's omni.  Yes, there could be a 20 db difference but who knows what they were using.  Notice the Illinois station came in at -6db.  I'd have probably got that one even if cross polarized.

          Phil
          KD7ZD
          Were you even pointed at Wake? Seems odd to get both in different directions.

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 4, 2010
            Clay W7CE wrote:
            > Nice! If I remember correctly, the number after their call/grid is their
            > power in dBm. Is that correct. If so, both stations were running 5W! Too
            > bad I'm not home. I can only work 6M remotely right now.

            Yes, that number is in dBm but it relies on the operator changing the
            number if they change power levels. I guess you could email them both
            and ask if it was 5 Watts?

            Dave (G0DJA)
          • Jerry Peters
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 4, 2010
              Strange, everyone else reported these stations on 10 mhz at that time, you are the only one that reported them as on 2m.

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 4, 2010
                Without getting into the validity of the report, what would be the expectations
                of the various WSJT modes in Aurora conditions? From my limited experience (not
                much Aurora propagation in Texas), wouldn't any mode depending upon tone
                accuracy be a problem?

                John
                AE5B

                > About an hour ago I copied a station on Wake Island and one in Illinois on 2 meter WSPR.
                >
                > I guess this Aurora is making things happen.
                >
                > Phil
                > KD7ZD

              • Russ K2TXB
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 4, 2010
                  clearly, this did not happen on 2 meters...

                  Russ K2TXB

                  Without getting into the validity of the report, what would be the expectations
                  of the various WSJT modes in Aurora conditions? From my limited experience (not
                  much Aurora propagation in Texas), wouldn't any mode depending upon tone
                  accuracy be a problem?

                  John
                  AE5B

                  > About an hour ago I copied a station on Wake Island and one in Illinois on 2 meter WSPR.
                  >
                  > I guess this Aurora is making things happen.
                  >
                  > Phil
                  > KD7ZD

                • Jerry
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 4, 2010
                    I had some pretty good Au on 6M last evening.. but Nada was heard on 2M !  I have been told that FSK441 or JT65 would not work under Au condx..not sure about WSPR.. but I would Love to try sometime..! CW and SSB into the PNW and S VE7 only.. never thought about trying a Digital Mode.. too much fun with that Raspy Sounding CW to even think about it !
                    Jerry VE6CPP
                    DN39or

                    --
                    "Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world, doesn't mean you are any wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."  ---Edward R. Murrow

                    ve6cpp@...

                  • Walter Miller, AJ6T
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 10, 2010