7.07 r2031 question - no sound card input mixer

  • Dave Straube
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2010
      Configuration:

      Windows 7
      WSJT 7.07 r2031
      Meinberg NTP installed to C:\Program Files\NTP
      SignaLink USB

      Upon initial Audio In / Audio Out setup, WSJT complained about not
      finding C:\Program Files\NTP\bin\SndVol32.exe. Copied
      C:\Windows\System32\SndVol.exe to the desired location and renamed it to
      SndVol.32.exe as well. No more complaints. However, when following the
      first step of Adjusting Signal Levels in the manual which says to start
      Monitor, then Options | Rx Volume Control in SpecJT, the sound card
      input mixer does not appear. Nor are there any error messages in the
      status window. Ditto for Tx volume control. Ideas?

      Dave - N7LKL
    • Barry Garratt
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2010

        Dave,

        You have a couple of problems right at the start. WSJT has nothing whatsoever to do with Meinberg NTP. I’ve run many versions of WSJT and I have never run Meinburg NTP. Something is strange in that respect. The second problem you have is that SndVol.exe and SndVol32.exe are not the same program so just renaming SndVol to SndVol32 isn’t going to work either.

        I could be wrong and someone may correct me but as I recall SndVol32.exe is a legacy program from Windows XP whereas SndVol.exe is for Windows7.

        I believe the way WSJT calls for the controls isn’t compatible with Windows 7 so what you are seeing is correct. You have to go into the audio section of Windows 7 to get at the controls independent of SpecJT.

        Hope that helps a bit.

        Barry KS7DX

        Meinberg NTP installed to C:\Program Files\NTP
        SignaLink USB

        Upon initial Audio In / Audio Out setup, WSJT complained about not
        finding C:\Program Files\NTP\bin\SndVol32.exe. Copied
        C:\Windows\System32\SndVol.exe to the desired location and renamed it to
        SndVol.32.exe as well. No more complaints. However, when following the
        first step of Adjusting Signal Levels in the manual which says to start
        Monitor, then Options | Rx Volume Control in SpecJT, the sound card
        input mixer does not appear. Nor are there any error messages in the
        status window. Ditto for Tx volume control. Ideas?

        Dave - N7LKL

      • Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2010
          Barry is 100% correct in all respects. You cannot access Win7 sound device controls from within SpecJT any more. Not compatible. You must access them directly from Windows 7.

          Bill W5WVO