WSJT Clock on Windows 7?

  • schneiderroger60
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 29, 2010
      What are you guys using for an accurate timekeeper on Windows 7? I used Dimension 4 on XP with good results but dont think it supports 7.
      Thanks in advance.
    • K. D. Sarchet
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 29, 2010

        Meinberg NTP

        73 de WY5R - KD

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 29, 2010
          Meinberg is the best, hands down. Deadly accurate. You can watch your computer clock while listening to the WWV ticks and see NO perceptible difference. That's easily within 50 ms.

          D4 should also work under Windows 7, but why bother when you can run Meinberg?

          That said, you MUST disable the built-in Windows time service when running ANY third-party time client. Otherwise, they are likely to interfere with each other, producing poor results.

          Email me off-line if you're unable to figure out how to disable the Windows time service.

          Bill W5WVO

          Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 16:31
          Subject: RE: [wsjtgroup] WSJT Clock on Windows 7?

          Meinberg NTP

          73 de WY5R - KD

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 29, 2010
            Good to know that! I don't think Meinberg does, but I could be wrong. If anybody knows for sure that Meinberg automatically disables the Windows time service upon install, please let me AND the group know.

            Bill W5WVO

            Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 16:31

            Meinberg NTP

            73 de WY5R - KD

            What are you guys using for an accurate timekeeper on Windows 7? I used Dimension 4 on XP with good results but dont think it supports 7.
            Thanks in advance.

          • Mirel Cardoso
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 29, 2010
              It works allright with Windows7.-

              73 and gud DX

              Mirel

              VK2BOD

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 29, 2010
                K. D. Sarchet wrote:
                > Meinberg NTP

                It may be the bees knees, but I couldn't figure out how to set it up. I
                guess you really have to read the instructions and follow them to the
                letter, but I've not had the time (please excuse the pun) to go and find
                out what I did wrong. So, I'm sticking with D4 at present.

                Dave (G0DJA)
              • Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 30, 2010
                  D4 is plenty accurate enough for practical purposes, including JT65. I'm just OCD enough to want to know I'm as close to perfection as is currently possible. Smile emoticon

                  Others have also had trouble getting Meinberg to run. I had no trouble, but I did read all the stuff first, so maybe that's a requirement. I'll look into it one of these days and post something about it if I discover any critical gotchas.

                  Bill W5WVO

                  Sent: Friday, July 30, 2010 06:07

                  K. D. Sarchet wrote:

                  > Meinberg NTP

                  It may be the bees knees, but I couldn't figure out how to set it up. I
                  guess you really have to read the instructions and follow them to the
                  letter, but I've not had the time (please excuse the pun) to go and find
                  out what I did wrong. So, I'm sticking with D4 at present.

                  Dave (G0DJA)

                • billdz.geo
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 30, 2010
                    Agreed, I have downloaded Meinberg but can't figure out how to make it work, and the instructions are not clear. Can anyone offer a step by step?

                    It seemed to be installing OK until I got to the step where it asked me to create a "special NTP account." I entered a name, password, and confirmed the password, but just get message "The user account XXXX could not be created. Please try again or create it manually. (ERROR 2245)" How to create it manually?

                    73, Bill NZ5N

                    --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Dave Ackrill <dave.g0dja@...> wrote:

                    > K. D. Sarchet wrote:
                    > > Meinberg NTP
                    >
                    > It may be the bees knees, but I couldn't figure out how to set it up. I
                    > guess you really have to read the instructions and follow them to the
                    > letter, but I've not had the time (please excuse the pun) to go and find
                    > out what I did wrong. So, I'm sticking with D4 at present.
                    >
                    > Dave (G0DJA)

                  • Roger Schneider
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 30, 2010
                      I want to thank all of you for your help.  I have not yet mastered Meinberg but just found this,  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/setup.html,
                      Let me know if it helps you.               73 Roger/W9FF
                    • Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 30, 2010
                        Truly outstanding. This is a site to bookmark and tell everybody about. Thanks so much, Roger. Looks to me like this covers all the bases and goes into quite a few scenarios that might inhibit NTP from running. I especially like the section at the end that explains WHY the Meinberg software is so much better than all the other Windows time service applications.

                        I hope by now you've succeeded in getting Meinberg running on your system.

                        Bill W5WVO

                        Sent: Friday, July 30, 2010 18:48
                        Subject: [wsjtgroup] Re: WSJT Clock on Windows 7?

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 31, 2010
                          Thanks, Roger, that is a great find.

                          I was able to install the program on my desktop with no difficulty. However, on my ThinkPad T61 laptop running XP Pro, I'm still getting that same error message when attempting to create an account.

                          Time syncing has been a problem for me since April, when D4 suddenly stopped working ("unable to connect to time server" error) on both my desktop and my laptop. As the problem affected both computers, I had assumed it had something to do with my network connections. But when I took the laptop to Slovakia this summer, the problem persisted. Tried replacing D4 with Atomic Clock, but that did not work either. Then tried trial versions of Socket Watch and YATS32, which both worked, although both require payment.

                          So I'm happy to have at least the desktop syncing again.

                          73, Bill NZ5N

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 31, 2010
                            Thanks to all who replied offline. My laptop is now syncing again with the Automachron program, a free download. I was unable to create an account with Meinberg NTP because only the computer's administrator has the power to do so, and mine is a company machine. I was able to get Meinberg NTP running with the "not recommended" SYSTEM account option. All suggestions for getting D4 working (including turning off and creating an exception in Windows Firewall) were tried but no success.

                            73, Bill NZ5N