Re: [wsjtgroup] Noise from USB Interface

  • Dave Ackrill
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 28, 2010
      Al wrote:
      > Mike and the Group:
      > I have the TS2000 also. I use the ACC2 port.
      > I have the Navigator as well as the SignaLink. Both work quite well. However, the Navigator is a real PAIN to install! If you do go to it, make sure that you always use the same USB socket.

      Never had a problem, personally.

      As long as you follow the instructions it seems to work fine for me.

      I did go to the Windows Control Panel and made a note of what port did
      what (Actually, Ham Radio Deluxe and DM780 do just as good a job of
      providing this information) then I've set up WSJT and other data modes
      programs using the same information.

      It's true that I don't tend to unplug the Navigator and replug it into
      another port, but neither do I unplug my Perseus SDR and try to plug it
      into another USB port either...

      Dave (G0DJA)
    • Dave Ackrill
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 28, 2010
        I quite like the world icon used for WSJT and WSPR short cuts, but
        having downloaded release 2031 for WSJT7 the icon seems to have changed
        to a butterfly style icon, and part of it is skewiff as seen on my
        screen as well...

        Can someone with a bit of knowledge of how to define a shortcut icon
        tell me how to define the good old world one instead please?

        It's a minor problem, but it can get you down when the icon you know is
        changed and the new one isn't easily noticed when you have a crowded
        desktop and, yes, I am trying to cut back on the icons that clutter my
        desktop.

        Dave (G0DJA)
      • Dave Ackrill
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 28, 2010
          OK, here is why I use the Navigator. This is a decode from a 23cm
          beacon using JT4G over an obstructed 355kM path where I am using a
          single yagi under very 'normal' conditions.

          225000 2 -24 -0.7 -9 37 * GB3CSB IO75XX 1 0

          Two sync pulses at -24dB S/N (or is that S/N+N ?)

          OK, so the path isn't always that good, and sometimes it's much better
          but the Navigator passes the signals onto the program to be decoded
          better than any other unit that I've tried so far.

          The other problem can be aircraft reflections, but that's not the fault
          of the Navigator for faithfully passing on the audio signals that it
          receives.

          I've considered buying a SignaLink or a ZLG unit, mainly for portable or
          special event station use, but the Navigator still does more and seems
          more sensitive to all modes, in my opinion, to almost every other TU
          that I've tried in the past.

          Dave (G0DJA)
        • Doug Wetzel
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 29, 2010
            Original text deleted.....

            Dave et al...

            The Signalink doesn't use the vox in the radio, it senses the application's audio tones and drives a hard keying line, which is usually connected to the PTT line in the accessory socket or the mic connector.  "VOX" is kind of misleading in this case because the Signalink generates an actual level change switching signal that can be used to key sequencers, amps, or any other kind of hardware controlled device.  You do need to pay attention to the current requirement of the keying line, of course.  What is not necessary with the Signalink is the use of a separate serial port for the ptt line because all of that magic is generated internally.

            One area, to which I believe Dave refers,  is that the keying line is toggled when tone is sensed, not before.  The tones appear at the audio input at the same time the key line changes state.  There is a front panel user variable delay ('drop out') time after the tones stop.

          • Al
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 29, 2010
              Hi Doug and the Group:
              I am glad you confirmed my statement earlier about how the SignaLink keys the transmitter.
              As you may know, the WSJT tone is delayed 500 milliseconds from when it "keys" the transmitter. This could be a problem when trying to run a sequencer with the SignaLink. I would recommend pulling the ptt wire out of the cable, keying the sequencer with it and then let the sequencer key the transmitter. Simple splice. (That's the way I have done it.)

              73,
              AL
              WA4EWV

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 29, 2010
                Hi Dave,

                On 7/28/2010 6:44 PM, Dave Ackrill wrote:
                > I quite like the world icon used for WSJT and WSPR short cuts, but
                > having downloaded release 2031 for WSJT7 the icon seems to have changed
                > to a butterfly style icon, and part of it is skewiff as seen on my
                > screen as well...

                There was no intentional change of WSJT icons. It seems that Windows 7
                somehow broke the mechanism I have used for years to attach the desired
                one.

                You have two options:

                1. Download and install WSJT 7.07 r2031 again. I think it is now OK.

                2. Right-click on your present desktop icon, select properties, then
                Change Icon, and continue following the Windows instructions. (I
                hesitate to give more details, because there are so many Windows
                versions being used. The "Change Icon" feature is probaby not available
                in all of them.)

                -- 73, Joe, K1JT
              • Dave Ackrill
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 29, 2010
                  Joe Taylor wrote:

                  > There was no intentional change of WSJT icons. It seems that Windows 7
                  > somehow broke the mechanism I have used for years to attach the desired
                  > one.

                  Thanks Joe, and to everyone who responded both on and off list, much
                  appreciated.

                  The standard icon is now back on my desktop and I'll bear in mind the
                  solutions next time I download WSJT or any other program where I prefer
                  a different icon.

                  Cheers - Dave (G0DJA)