JT44 in VK

  • hell92001
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 8, 2002
      Some reports below to let people know what we are doing in VK on JT44.

      Rex, VK7MO

      VK3AXH and VK7MO have been making 2 metre terrestrial contacts on
      JT44 over a 630 km path with single yagis and 150 watts. VK7MO is
      still having problems with the PTT on a Laptop and hoping this may
      resolve in the next version.

      VK2FLR has got JT44 going OK and reports the following with a single
      yagi on EME

      "The EME sked was very interesting. The program synchronised on DF2ZC
      at a DF of -27 from 0444 to 0455 and after 13 averagings I got a
      perfect "VK2FLR DF2ZC OOOOOOOO" DF2ZC was hearing me even better and
      it is a pity the moon set here before we could complete. Conditions
      were not particularly good so I think it is certainly do-able with
      one yagi. In fact, I have the impression that using JT44 I can work
      with one yagi what I used to be able to do with 4 yagis and
      CW."
    • Randy Tipton
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 9, 2002
        Thanks for the VK report. Here in the USA many have been working JT44 on some long paths. I have worked W5SNX many times on six and two meters using JT44. This path is 814 miles and almost always works. With the new version, it is easy to tell if you have sync. If the sync indication is there I have been able to copy calls and grids.  Without sync, after about 3 - 5 minutes, I have found you might as well give up. Even with pings and burns I have found WSJT able to decode in most cases however there are a few times it appears to cause a loss of data.

        For my station, I believe the limit of JT44 on six meters is 800 - 850 miles and just about anytime of the day. That is with 100 watts to 7 elements at 50 ft. I would like to find someone to run some tests slightly over the 814 miles that separate W5SNX and myself. Anyone interested?

        Tip

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 9, 2002
          I'm "slightly" over 814 Tip... hi hi