WSJT vs JT65-HF decoding discrepancies

  • Jeremy - N4JIK
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 4, 2010

      I have been looking at other JT65 software and have noticed that there is actually a pretty significant discrepancy between decodes using JT65-HF and WSJT7. Unfortunately JT65-HF has been providing more decodes which are deeper in the noise whereas WSJT misses a number of them. I know it has definitely got to be something I have setup wrong but  I for the life of me can't figure out what it is.

      Everything is a standard install and I haven't changed anything so far other than putting my callsign and grid in. Any assistance would be great.. Thanks!

      Jeremy

      N4JIK formerly KD4LCR/7J6CEM

      Fort Benning, GA/Phenix City, AL

      Triple Play Award #327

      "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
      because he loves what is behind him." G. K. Chesterton

    • Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 4, 2010
        That's interesting, because WSJT is (by design, due to the "deep search" capabilities in WSJT that JT65-HF has not implemented) more "sensitive" than JT65-HF. And with WSJT, you can try repeatedly to "tease" a decode out of any visible pattern. I would guess it's either a setup or a use problem. I've run JT65-HF and WSJT7 side by side, and I've never seen anything JT65-HF decodes that isn't also decoded (when properly clicked on) by WSJT -- and the opposite is oftentimes true (WSJT can decode stuff JT65-HF can't), as there is no way to tease a decode out of JT65-HF; it either decodes the first time it scans the segment, or it doesn't. No do-overs.

        OTOH, the JT65-HF user interface and multiple-decode capabilities are WAY COOL. Smile emoticon  If only we could put the two together somehow...

        Bill W5WVO

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 4, 2010

            I have to side with Jeremy on this one Bill. I’ve run them side by side also and like Jeremy find that JT65-HF will decode more than WSJT. That is not to say that with a bit of “tweaking” I can’t usually make WSJT decode the same signal BUT on a sit back and let them both do their work JT65-HF will win 99% of the time. I have the odd occasion where WSJT will get a decode and JT65-HF will not but those occasions are very few and far between.

            Barry KS7DX

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 4, 2010
              I've just run a few tests and I still can't detect any delay between TX
              going on and tones coming out of the TS2000.

              What I did was;

              1. Listened to the tone monitor on the interface, to get a feel for if
              there was any delay on sending the tones;

              2. Listened to the tones from the TS2000 'TX MONI';

              3. Tries listening to both (not easy) to see if I could hear any difference.

              I can't detect anything like a 1 second gap between audio starting from
              the interface and tones coming out of the TS2000...

              Dave (G0DJA)
            • hb9ari
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 4, 2010
                Hi Bill,

                Same here! I work with JT65-HF and WSJT7 since a long time side by side
                and with the same audio card of course. What is correctly decoded with
                JT65-HF is always decoded by WSJT; SNR may differ +/- 2 dB max.
                (may be related to audio level adjustment between the 2 programs?)
                Inversely, they are messages correctly decoded by WSJT7 and
                they don't appear in JT65-HF window. It's one of the reasons i continue to
                use exclusively WSJT7 for QSO. In ~ 2years, i think i get only ONE
                false decode with WSJT (or it was a false entry by the TXing station?.)

                In my case, false decoding is often related to in band high noise and
                i don't see any trace at the specified DF. For me, false decoding is a
                "pseudo" call with an unrelated grid locator or, in other cases, some
                text with no signification. The "ghost" phenomena is, in my case, an
                other problem with a correct call, but timing, SNR, DF, etc are partially
                or totally erroneous and are sometimes sended to RB.

                But multi-decoding capability of JT65-HF and RB are very nice features!
                As you, i'm hoping to find them together...For example, clicking on a
                trace in the JT65-HF would activate the WSJT decoding procedure and
                allow, in some "limit" cases, to get a missed decoding !

                My best 73,

                Rudi, HB9ARI

                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 5, 2010
                  Having had another think, and a read of what others have said, is this a
                  delay built into WSJT rather than the TS2000?

                  Since WSJT modes were designed for MS/EME originally surely there will
                  need to be a built in delay to allow for relays and sequencers to switch
                  off preamps and switch on amplifiers and rigs in the correct order?

                  Is this delay actually a feature of WSJT rather than a problem just with
                  the TS2000 I wonder?

                  In the back of my mind now I'm trying to remember what it says in the
                  manual... Some reading for lunchtime I think.

                  Dave (G0DJA)
                • Russ K2TXB
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 5, 2010
                    Dave, the delay only happens when you are sending TX audio in through the connector on the back (and keying through that connector too, or course).  It is very obvious in that it takes close to a second for the tx signal to reach full power.  If you increase the audio level you will then see a faster response.  But regardless of what they say, I like to run my equipment linear, so I adjust the levels to just reach saturation and then back off a little.  Then control power with the power adjust button.

                    This is a known problem with the TS-2000 and somewhere on the net there is published a fix for it.  I decided it was not causing enough problem to bother with, so never fixed it.  Perhaps Kenwood did fix it in later production models.  And I have a friend who only sends audio in through the mic connector and the problem does not happen then.

                    Hope this helps, Russ

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 5, 2010
                      Yes, there is also a delay built into WSJT.  If you use PTT keying you will see that the transmitter comes on and then the audio is applied a bit later.  That is normal, but the delay I was talking about is a slow rise of power AFTER the audio is applied.

                      Russ

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 5, 2010
                        Russ K2TXB wrote:
                        > Yes, there is also a delay built into WSJT. If you use PTT keying you will
                        > see that the transmitter comes on and then the audio is applied a bit later.
                        > That is normal, but the delay I was talking about is a slow rise of power
                        > AFTER the audio is applied.

                        That's the bit I don't see. The needle on the external power meter
                        comes straight up to the level, with the usual coil/magnet delay as I
                        said, but definately not a second or more.

                        Maybe I have a later model?

                        I do use the ACC socket and I don't run any ALC in any data mode. So, I
                        do keep below saturation.

                        Dave (G0DJA)
                      • Dave Ackrill
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 5, 2010
                          Russ K2TXB wrote:
                          > Dave, the delay only happens when you are sending TX audio in through the
                          > connector on the back (and keying through that connector too, or course).

                          Yes, that's what I'm doing.

                          However, are we talking VHF/UHF or HF here?

                          The TS2000 has separate PTT circuits on ACC2 for the two different ports.

                          I'll check the TS2000 manual and see if VHF/UHF has an added delay.

                          Dave (G0DJA)
                        • Dave Ackrill
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 5, 2010
                            Dave Ackrill wrote:

                            > The TS2000 has separate PTT circuits on ACC2 for the two different ports.

                            No, my mistake, the EXT.CONT socket is the one with the different pins
                            for VHF/UHF.

                            However, there are two PTT lines on ACC2.

                            Pin 9 PKS for use with 'TNC or MCB' and Pin 13 SS for use with a
                            footswitch or other external controller. The microphone input on the
                            front is live if you use Pin 13, so it doesn't seem like the one to use
                            to PTT with Pin 11 KD "Microphone audio input - Connect to the TCP or
                            MCP transmit data pin for digital operation".

                            There's no mention of delays in sending audio after PTT using ACC2. So,
                            I'm beginning to think it was an issue on older TS2000 units, maybe?

                            Dave (G0DJA)
                          • Russ K2TXB
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 5, 2010
                              Dave. I am only talking about VHF. I have not tried it on HF (or if I did I don't remember).  However it does not have separate PTT circuits for HF/VHF/UHF.  But all the inputs for PTT on the ACC socket control all bands.  I guess you are thinking about the separate PTT outputs for the various bands, which it does have.  And you can delay those outputs 10 or 25 milliseconds with a menu selection.  But that is not what we are talking about here.  You won't find anything about this delay in the manual because it is not supposed to exist.  And I just spent an hour going through all my old emails that even mention TS-2000 and could not find the info on it.  It has been a while since I even observed the problem, but probably because I am used to it and no longer notice.  I will try to observe it again later today and report.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 5, 2010
                                My K3 will be arriving back from the factory tomorrow on the UPS truck, and after I get it hooked back in, I'll be able to test the WSJT modes with both rigs -- the TS-2000 with the RIGBlaster PNP, and the K3 with direct audio interconnection and VOX for PTT. I can also try on both VHF (6 meters, FSK441) and HF (20 meters, JT65A). Got me curious now, so I should be able to generate enough data points to offer something halfway definitive about this matter.

                                I do believe Russ's explanation that's it a TS-2000 "problem" (except that it doesn't appear to be really problematic), and if that's the case, I should be able to verify that. With the TS-2000, the audio is definitely "ramping up" over the course of some large fraction of a second. You can hear the ramp-up in the TX Monitor function as well as see it on the RF power output meter.

                                Bill W5WVO

                                Sent: Monday, July 05, 2010 10:59 AM

                                Dave. I am only talking about VHF. I have not tried it on HF (or if I did I don't remember).  However it does not have separate PTT circuits for HF/VHF/UHF.  But all the inputs for PTT on the ACC socket control all bands.  I guess you are thinking about the separate PTT outputs for the various bands, which it does have.  And you can delay those outputs 10 or 25 milliseconds with a menu selection.  But that is not what we are talking about here.  You won't find anything about this delay in the manual because it is not supposed to exist.  And I just spent an hour going through all my old emails that even mention TS-2000 and could not find the info on it.  It has been a while since I even observed the problem, but probably because I am used to it and no longer notice.  I will try to observe it again later today and report.

                                > Dave, the delay only happens when you are sending TX audio in through the
                                > connector on the back (and keying through that connector too, or course).

                                Yes, that's what I'm doing.

                                However, are we talking VHF/UHF or HF here?

                                The TS2000 has separate PTT circuits on ACC2 for the two different ports.

                                I'll check the TS2000 manual and see if VHF/UHF has an added delay.

                                Dave (G0DJA)

                              • GD0TEP
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 6, 2010

                                  Hi to the group.

                                  While trying 6m EME last night (with Gene KL7/KB7Q), and failing due to what I think was faraday, I noticed an error within the Console window with repeated lines of KVASD_g95 errors  (see this link: http://gd0tep.com/error.jpg )

                                  Anyone know what it is?

                                  Windoze XP

                                  And the only other software running was a telnet client by EA6VQ, and AVG antivirus.

                                  I restarted the program and it didn’t come back… Sadly the sked didn’t complete, I copied a good set of calls and OOO at -26, but Gene failed to copy my repeated RO. Gene was running a single 6M7JHV and 800w and I was using the 6M11JKV with a GS35b.

                                • Dave Ackrill
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 6, 2010
                                    GD0TEP wrote:

                                    > I restarted the program and it didn't come back. Sadly the sked didn't
                                    > complete, I copied a good set of calls and OOO at -26, but Gene failed to
                                    > copy my repeated RO. Gene was running a single 6M7JHV and 800w and I was
                                    > using the 6M11JKV with a GS35b.

                                    Which release of WSJT7 are you using Andy?

                                    Joe issued an update to r1933 as 1933a because of some problem with
                                    KVASD_g95.

                                    Try the new 1933a executable that you can download at
                                    http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html if you have not done
                                    so already.

                                    Dave (G0DJA)
                                  • Mike Miller
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 6, 2010
                                      Hi Russ,

                                      From what I have read on the TS-2000 groups, this was a problem
                                      with the early production models that has been corrected.

                                      Mike kc9doa

                                      On 5 Jul 2010 at 8:12, Russ K2TXB wrote:

                                      > Yes, there is also a delay built into WSJT. If you use PTT
                                      > keying you will see that the transmitter comes on and then the
                                      > audio is applied a bit later. That is normal, but the delay I
                                      > was talking about is a slow rise of power AFTER the audio is
                                      > applied.
                                      >
                                      > Russ
                                    • GD0TEP
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 6, 2010
                                        Ah... maybe that's it then...

                                        I'm not currently in the same shack as the PC I was using last night, so
                                        can't tell what release it is... I'll download it and try it this evening...

                                        Ta very much...

                                        73,
                                        Andy
                                        http://gd0tep.com

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 6, 2010
                                          That's it Mike. I could not remember that it was eventually fixed. I used
                                          to be on the TS-2000 group, in fact I was a moderator, but I quit it when I
                                          moved and never rejoined. Yesterday I tried to go to the files section to
                                          see if I could find out about this issue, but you have to be a member. What
                                          with the rig now being old and I already get way too much mail, I didn't
                                          want to join just to look at the files, hi.

                                          73, Russ K2TXB

                                        • Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 6, 2010
                                            OK, I'll take this as the final resolution of the matter. The rig here is an older TS-B2000 (the one without the front-panel controls), and it's probably something that could be fixed. I'll do some research on it, as I'm still nominally a member of the two Yahoo TS-2000 groups, though I long ago turned off the email feed from both of them. I'll go to the websites and paw through the files archives. Thanks.

                                            Bill
                                            W5WVO

                                            Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 6:57 AM

                                            href="mailto:mike.kc9doa%40sbcglobal.net">mike.kc9doa@...]
                                            wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com

                                            > Hi Russ,

                                            From what I have read on the TS-2000 groups, this was a
                                            > problem with
                                            the early production models that has been corrected.

                                            > Mike
                                            kc9doa

                                            > On 5 Jul 2010 at 8:12, Russ K2TXB wrote:
                                            >

                                            > > Yes, there is also a
                                            delay built into WSJT. If you use PTT
                                            > keying you
                                            > > will see
                                            that the transmitter comes on and then the audio
                                            > is applied a
                                            > > bit later. That is normal, but the delay I was talking
                                            > about is a
                                            slow
                                            > > rise of power AFTER the audio is applied.
                                            > >
                                            > > Russ

                                          • Steinar Aanesland
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jul 6, 2010
                                              I don't think the clone version works. Have you tried the Microsoft
                                              version of XP?

                                              73 de LA5VNA Steinar