RE: [wsjtgroup] warnings within DOS type window.

  • GD0TEP
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 4, 2010

      OK Joe, thanks for that.

      I’ve checked what’s running and there’s nothing that shouldn’t be…  By that I mean there’s a firewall, anti virus and the Microham router, but nothing untoward or CPU demanding.

      Strangely, it hasn’t done it again, so perhaps something else was going on under the XP bonnet. (hood)

      The only thing I still have though is a 1.5 second delay at the start of each TX period. The radio keys OK, but there’s a delay between key up and the PC sending the tones.

      I’m lost as to what’s causing this short delay and I’m unsure what effect it’ll have on time synchronisation with other stations when trying to work someone.

      73,

      Andy

      http://gd0tep.com

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 4, 2010
        Andy, FWIW, my RIGBlaster Plug-n-Play does the same thing -- it keys the rig's PTT at the right time, but ramps up the audio to the rig over a short period (a couple of hundred milliseconds) starting about 1 second after the rig is keyed. This has caused no problems or bad DTs, as far as I can tell, presumably because the generated message bits (tones)are actually correctly time-synched to the clock starting at the beginning of the sequence; it's just that actual RF transmission doesn't start until a bit later in the sequence (1 sec or so). If this is what's going on with your setup, your MicroHam might be doing the same thing the RIGBlaster is doing. Seems benign. Also seems unnecessary... creeping elegance, we used to call it.

        Bill W5WVO

        > sending tones. I guess that these two things are
        connect in some
        > way, but how do I resolve this warning and the delay on
        start up
        > of TX (about 1 or 2 seconds)
        >
        > Any
        ideas?

        WSJT7 relies on the Windows (or Linux, Mac OSX, ...) sound system
        producing or consuming audio data at a smooth and nearly constant rate.

        That warning message means that on at least one occasion the interval
        between time stamps placed on buffers of audio data were significantly
        larger than expected. This probably means that a glitch has occurred in
        the supposedly smooth stream of audio input or output data. In turn,
        this implies likely problems in synchronizing and decoding the WSJT mode
        you are operating.

        The fact that you are receiving these messages means that your O/S was
        busy doing something else when it should have been servicing the audio
        I/O streams. Usually this means that you (or Windows, supposedly on
        your behalf) have too many other processes running at the same time as
        WSJT7. Be sure to terminate unnecessary programs, or prevent them from
        starting in the first place. Automatically started virus scanners,
        etc., can be a problem in this way.

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT

      • Al
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 4, 2010

          Hello Group:
          Correct me if I am wrong, but I read somewhere - heard somewhere - that WSJT doesn't start sending tones until 500 milliseconds after keying the transmitter. I am sure Joe will chime in on this.

          As far as 'stuff' running, Windows loads a lot of services at startup. Right click my computer, then manage, services and applications, services, then at the bottom, standard. You can see all of the services. Several categories:
          Manual, Automatic, and Disabled. The screen will also tell you the status of the service. I cannot tell you what to disable, but there are some services that are not needed.

          I am sure that the Microsoft website can tell you what any one of these services does, and then you make up your mind what to disable.

          Good Luck, and best 73,
          Al
          WA4EWV

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 4, 2010

            So… although I’ve never noticed this delay before, I’m going to assume that it’s part of the way the system keys up. It’s just with swapping out my Icom for a K3 and sorting out (with suitable help) as to what connects to what… I think perhaps I was being to critical…

            Now all I need is someone to work… J

            73,

            Andy

            http://gd0tep.com

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 4, 2010
              Bill, are you using a TS-2000?  They do that when feeding TX audio through the rear connector.

              73, Russ K2TXB

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 4, 2010
                Yes, as a matter of fact I am. So it's not a RIGBlaster thing, then? Interesting.

                Bill W5WVO

                Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2010 4:16 PM

                Bill, are you using a TS-2000?  They do that when feeding TX audio through the rear connector.

                73, Russ K2TXB

                Andy, FWIW, my RIGBlaster Plug-n-Play does the same thing -- it keys the rig's PTT at the right time, but ramps up the audio to the rig over a short period (a couple of hundred milliseconds) starting about 1 second after the rig is keyed. This has caused no problems or bad DTs, as far as I can tell, presumably because the generated message bits (tones)are actually correctly time-synched to the clock starting at the beginning of the sequence; it's just that actual RF transmission doesn't start until a bit later in the sequence (1 sec or so). If this is what's going on with your setup, your MicroHam might be doing the same thing the RIGBlaster is doing. Seems benign. Also seems unnecessary. .. creeping elegance, we used to call it.

                Bill W5WVO

                > I have a question regarding the DOS style window that's part of WSJT7
                > I'm getting the following: Warning: interrupt service interval 4453ms
                >
                > Everything else appears to be OK, although there's an issue with
                >the time taken from the start of TXing and the radio actually
                > sending tones. I guess that these two things are connect in some
                > way, but how do I resolve this warning and the delay on start up
                > of TX (about 1 or 2 seconds)
                >
                > Any ideas?

                WSJT7 relies on the Windows (or Linux, Mac OSX, ...) sound system
                producing or consuming audio data at a smooth and nearly constant rate.

                That warning message means that on at least one occasion the interval
                between time stamps placed on buffers of audio data were significantly
                larger than expected. This probably means that a glitch has occurred in
                the supposedly smooth stream of audio input or output data. In turn,
                this implies likely problems in synchronizing and decoding the WSJT mode
                you are operating.

                The fact that you are receiving these messages means that your O/S was
                busy doing something else when it should have been servicing the audio
                I/O streams. Usually this means that you (or Windows, supposedly on
                your behalf) have too many other processes running at the same time as
                WSJT7. Be sure to terminate unnecessary programs, or prevent them from
                starting in the first place. Automatically started virus scanners,
                etc., can be a problem in this way.

                -- 73, Joe, K1JT

              • Dave Ackrill
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 4, 2010
                  Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO wrote:
                  > Yes, as a matter of fact I am. So it's not a RIGBlaster thing, then? Interesting.
                  >
                  > Bill W5WVO

                  I can't say I've noticed it happening on my TS2000.

                  When the PTT kicks in the audio comes up to power straight away.

                  At least within the limits of the external analogue meter to measure it
                  anyway...

                  Dave (G0DJA)
                • GD0TEP
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 4, 2010

                    >I can't say I've noticed it happening

                    on my TS2000.

                    >When the PTT kicks in the audio comes up
                    to power straight away.

                    >At least within the limits of the
                    external analogue meter to measure it
                    >anyway...
                    >
                    >Dave (G0DJA)

                    Hi Dave,

                    Do you not monitor what is actually being sent then? It could be the way I’m reading your email but it sounds like you are saying that because power is going out, you are assuming the audio is going out.

                    73,

                    Andy

                    http://gd0tep.com

                  • Dave Ackrill
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 4, 2010
                      GD0TEP wrote:

                      > Do you not monitor what is actually being sent then? It could be the way I'm
                      > reading your email but it sounds like you are saying that because power is
                      > going out, you are assuming the audio is going out.

                      I often use the TX Moni function, but no, I can't say I, or those around
                      me, are all that fond of the noise made by many of the data modes. So I
                      mute both incoming and out going, using waterfalls to see the audio
                      coming in.

                      Dave (G0DJA)