Re: [wsjtgroup] Digest Number 307

  • Jay Smith
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 22, 2003
      Tony welcome to the WSJT modes. The "weak signal"  mode you mentioned is not a function of power levels. Some of the guys are running 1.5 KW out into large arrays. The weak signal part of the mode is its ability to copy signals sometimes totally inaudible to the ear and even below ambient noise. Signals reflected off meteor trails can be pretty loud at times and other times they can be so faint that they are not perceptible to the ear at all. Some of the other modes that are part of WSJT do not depend on meteors at all but really dig into the noise and pull out signals that you would never dream are there otherwise. As an example, I am 40 miles north of Houston here and can get around 300 miles or more on 2 meters almost any time of day or nite and maybe even more on 6 meters. These modes are not ordinarily "conversational" modes like SSB or CW, you'll see all that as you begin to experience the contacts, especially on PINGJOCKEY.NET where someone else referred you. I have been working the WSJT modes for about a year and it is one of the most fun facets of ham radio I have experienced in 43 years of hamming. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. 73 Jay W5DN

                  From: "spider24112" <spider24112@...>
             2. Re: New to WSJT Meteor Scatter.
                  From: "W3EME Brian Manns" <w3eme@...>
             3. Re: New to WSJT Meteor Scatter.
                  From: Terry l Hosack <wa3ltb@...>

      Message: 1
          Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 00:47:27 -0000
          From: "spider24112" <spider24112@...>
      Subject: New to WSJT Meteor Scatter.

      Hello De KB4ZGO:
      I am new to FSK441, I have never heard of working this kind of
      digital modes until today. I have the program installed and have been
      listening on 144.140 USB.

        I know being a novice at this is a real handicap even for an Extra
      Class. I've been a Ham
      for 16 years, but that doesn't help me when I am starting something
      new like this. I hope that in time that I will figure out if I'm
      doing something wrong or not.

      I would like some feed back to what I can expect to hear or see on
      the screen from the computer screen if possible. I have seen alot of
      information and screen shots on the web about the WSJT program.

      Any help for someone just starting out would be nice.I am not real
      sure about the band plan for this digital mode, from what I gather it
      should be between 144.100 Mhz and 144.200 Mhz. I sent Cq for about
      two hours or more on 144.140Mhz without a split hoping to hear and
      see some activity. I did keep my power level down to 5 watts since
      this is a weak signal mode. Like I said I don't know it this the
      right thing to do or not, but they can't bust my chops about being
      QRO. HI HI

      Well Here is the station that I am working with. ICOM 706MK2G ,
      antenna is 5 element 2 meter beam also have a 4 element 6 meter beam
      up about 35 feet, Both beams are for SSB work . You can read more
      about my activities and see my ugly mug at QRZ.com

      Again I hope to see some feed back on helping me make that OH MY
      FIRST CONTACT using this mode as well as JT44.

      Please feel free to email me at spider24112@... and let me know
      what I could be doing right or wrong.

      Thanks and HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL: 73 DE KB4ZGO/ TONY

      Message: 2
          Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 01:12:37 -0000
          From: "W3EME Brian Manns" <w3eme@...>
      Subject: Re: New to WSJT Meteor Scatter.

      First, 5 watts will not cut it. You will need at least 100 watts
      for some success....check out the WSJT/ FSK441 site...

                  Good luck, Brian w3eme
[...]

         To unsubscribe, send an email to:

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 3
          Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 21:30:20 -0500
          From: Terry l Hosack <wa3ltb@...>

      Hi Tony KB4GZO,

            Welcome to WSJT, the first thing you will find out is that you will
      at times need a lot of patience. If you are able to run between 50-100
      watts with your IC706 you should be able to make contacts up to 1000
      miles or so at times. On six meters especially because meteor scatter is
      a little easier on that band, and you have a decend antenna for 6M with
      a 4 ele. beam. On 2M it gets tougher with QRP power and small antennas
      but it is still possible to have some amazing contacts with say 50 watts
      and your 5 Ele. beam so don't be discouraged.
            Assuming your radio, interface and software are working ok, I would
      log onto the ping jockey web site at
      http://www.pingjockey.net/cgi-bin/pingtalk and setup a sked with someone
      on 6 or 2 meters, and it is a good place to ask questions if you need
      answers.
           Also don't expect to just get on the call frequency, call cq and have
      someone answer you, it just doesn't happen very often. Except during
      Saturday Morning random hours when everyone is calling and listening on
      the frequencies, during contest periods and also during special activity
      periods like the Monthly random activity SPRINTS held on the last tuesday
      of every month. The next SPRINT will be on Tuesday December 31, from
      0100-0500 UTC and that will be on 2 Meters so be sure to listen that
      night for activity on 144.140 mhz.

      Good luck Tony, you will be welcomed with open arms, they always like
      to see a new face!

      73's
      Terry
      WA3LTB
      EN92ta
      Lake City, Pa.

      .
    • Andy GD0TEP
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 28, 2003

        Hi people,

        Does anyone know if it’s possible to key the radio via the printer port rather than a com port with WSJT?

        Andy – GD0TEP

      • David Robinson
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 29, 2003
          Message
          i would also like to be able to use lpt1 for keying in wsjt. I use the com1 on my laptop for the gps for nmeatime so i have to use a pcmcia rs232 card for the ptt. I gather that lpt1 support is difficult as operation is hit or miss in windows versions after win 95?

          dave

          ww2r, g4fre
          Does anyone know if it's possible to key the radio via the printer port rather than a com port with WSJT?

          Andy - GD0TEP

          To unsubscribe, send an email to:

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Andy GD0TEP
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 29, 2003
            Message

            The reason I’d like to use the printer port is that my WSJT laptop is a PII, 233mhz with 96mb of ram, and when it decodes a minutes worth of JT65, the software time indication stops for about 8 or 9 seconds, and I continually have to double check the PC time throughout any skeds, some times having to readjust the PC time.

            I’ve got a PIII, 933mhz laptop that would fly with WSJT, but it doesn’t have a serial port, only a printer port…

            Now, if only I could use the LPT port……

            Andy

            GD0TEP

            i would also like to be able to use lpt1 for keying in wsjt. I use the com1 on my laptop for the gps for nmeatime so i have to use a pcmcia rs232 card for the ptt. I gather that lpt1 support is difficult as operation is hit or miss in windows versions after win 95?

            dave

            ww2r, g4fre

            Does anyone know if it's possible to key the radio via the printer port rather than a com port with WSJT?

            Andy - GD0TEP

            To unsubscribe, send an email to:

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            ·    To visit your group on the web, go to:

            ·    To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

            ·    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

            To unsubscribe, send an email to:

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            ·    To visit your group on the web, go to:

            ·    To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

            ·    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

          • W3EME Brian Manns
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 29, 2003
              Message
              I would guess someone makes a parallel to serial converter.....try Goggle search.

                      73's Brian w3eme

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
                Message

                I’ve just installed the update “upd434” and now when I try and run either WSJT or WSJT4 I get the following:

                Component ‘RICHTX32.OCX’ or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

                Anyone know how I get around this??

                Andy

              • Andy GD0TEP
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 2, 2004
                  Message

                  All sorted now, a complete un-install then re-install from scratch sorted out the problem.

                • Andy GD0TEP
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 13, 2004
                    Message

                    Hi people,

                    Having transferred WSJT to my P3 laptop, I’ve found that the time keeping while running the programme isn’t as good as it could be…

                    So… I’ve tried time keeping software, and I have to say that I’m not impressed…    Anyway, I have an Oregon Scientific Weather Station that picks up a radio time signal, what I’m looking for is information on how I get the time signal from the WX station and use it to set my PC time…

                    Has anyone tried this before?

                    Any info appreciated.

                    Andy

                  • Andy GD0TEP
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 20, 2004
                      Message

                      Hello again people.

                      Just how important is time keeping when using either JT44, or JT65 for EME?

                      The reason for my question is this:

                      When I am at home, my PC is linked to the internet via broadband, and as such I’m running NMEAtime to keep the PC clock right. I can double check this by telephoning the ‘speaking clock’ (in the UK you dial 1,2,3, I assume other countries have the same?)

                      Anyway, the PC time is constant and concurs with both the speaking clock and my radio controlled clock (Junghans radio controlled from Germany)

                      Now, here’s my problem. When I try any skeds on 6m EME with either JT44 or JT65, I have to use an alternative site that doesn’t have access to the internet. So, I purchased a GPS PCMCIA card for my laptop, and I’m using NMEAtime with this to keep my laptop time right. The problem is, there is a difference between the two times… This difference is a second! This second difference remains constant. I’ve even altered the setting within NMEAtime to try and adjust for slow communications from the GPS to the PC, but without success.

                      I had thought that getting this GPS would solve my time keeping problem, only using it seems to have given me different problem!

                      Maybe I need software that contains a greater amount of time adjustment? If so, what is there?

                      Anyone got any ideas?

                      Cheers,

                      And thanks in advance.

                      Andy

                      GD0TEP

                    • Mike Hasselbeck
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 20, 2004
                        > using NMEAtime with this to keep my laptop time right. The problem is,
                        > there is a difference between the two times. This difference is a
                        > second! This second difference remains constant.

                        Andy - this is essentially what I have seen using the GPS and NMEATime, but
                        the fix ix pretty easy. Open NMEATime Properties -> Configure GPS. There is
                        a window there that says "GPS set time fix-up delay". If your PC clock is
                        reproducibly slow relative to an accurate reference by say 1 second, put 1000
                        ms in that window. You can fine tune this to the nearest millisecond, but I
                        found my eye is only good to about 100 ms! This will be plenty accurate
                        enough for the JT modes of WSJT.

                        If that doesn't work, there is probably something wrong with the way NMEATime
                        is talking to your PC. On my older machine with minimal RAM, I sometimes
                        find I cannot get NMEATime to set the PC clock if WSJT is already running,
                        ie. busy doing decodes. I just have to remember to start NMEATime and have
                        it update the PC clock before commencing a WSJT run. If that still doesn't
                        work, contact Monte at Visual GPS and ask for help (you'll probably need to
                        purchase the program at that point!). He updates NMEATime periodically and
                        the newest version might deal with your specific bug.

                        The other approach is putting the appropriate Dsec delay directly into WSJT,
                        but that is only in increments of 1 second; still will likely be good enough.

                        Mike WB2FKO
                        New Mexico, USA
                      • Andy GD0TEP
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 21, 2004
                          Hi Mike,

                          Thanks for the email.
                          What I've decided to try is to keep the GPS timing, then use the 'dsec'
                          adjustment within WSJT (I didn't realise that was even there) When I
                          next try EME on 6m, I'll find out how it goes, unfortunately, I'm not
                          sure when that'll be.

                          Thanks to all those who replied, both direct and via the list, cheers!

                          Andy
                          GD0TEP

                        • john@n6enu.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 10, 2004