Beta release of WSJT8

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 19, 2010
      To: Users of WSJT
      From: Joe Taylor, K1JT

      A beta release of WSJT8 is now available on the WSJT Home Page.

      The following text comes from the first page of the WSJT8 User's Guide,
      http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT8_User.pdf

      WSJT8 is an experimental version of the familiar weak-signal
      communication program WSJT. It offers new protocols or "modes" optimized
      for meteor scatter, ionospheric scatter, EME, microwaves, and QRP at HF.
      Like the modes in previous versions of WSJT, the new ones are intended
      for making minimal QSOs, not for rag-chewing. WSJT8 modes are not
      compatible with those in WSJT7. To use the new modes, transmitting and
      receiving stations must *both* use WSJT8.

      This introductory User’s Guide explains how the new experimental modes
      differ from the familiar modes FSK441, JT6M, JT65, and JT4. It assumes
      that you are already familiar with installing and using WSJT7. Please
      consider the Guide is a living document; it will be modified and
      extended frequently in coming weeks. The online version can be called up
      with a single keystroke from within WSJT8, so you can easily check for
      updates.

      My working hypothesis is that the new modes in WSJT8 offer significant
      advantages over those in WSJT7 — and that it will probably make sense to
      recommend a complete switch-over some months from now. For that
      transition to happen in an orderly fashion, we’ll need a widely held
      consensus that the change is for the better. If one of the new modes
      does not live up to present expectations, or for another reason it’s
      decided that some feature of WSJT7 should be retained, that wish can
      probably be accommodated.

      Input from users will be important following the initial beta release of
      WSJT8. I need to know what works, what doesn’t work, what should be
      improved, and what enhancements should be given highest priority. All
      comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

      Please note: Before using WSJT8, be sure to read this full document to
      familiarize yourself with the design goals and motivations for the new
      modes, and with the available message formats.

      #############################################################################

      If you found and downloaded WSJT8r1943.EXE before receiving this
      announcement, you should download and install the program again from the
      installation file WSJT8r1944.EXE.

      Go here http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html to find
      the download link.

      After gaining some experience with the beta release of WSJT8
      Please share your views and opinions about it!

      -- 73, Joe, K1JT
    • Al
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 19, 2010

        Good Evening Joe and the group:
        Sorry the preliminary tests of WSJT8 did not prove to be very good. I hope that the wav files that everyone sent are helpful. That's the bad news.

        The good news is that I tested the echo mode this evening and it works great! Here are the results:
            9   5.6  -24.2    -0.7   1.1  10
          10   5.6  -24.8    -0.7   1.1  10
          11   5.6  -25.1    -0.7   1.1  10
          12   5.6  -25.5    -0.7   1.1  10
          13   5.6  -25.2    -0.7   1.1  10

        1 through 8 were "settling down" for lack of a better expression.

        The water fall showed my "dot" on every receive period.

        73,
        Al
        WA4EWV

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 20, 2010
          Hello all.

          1) On a crowded band, haRd to see where a JT64 signal begins on the
          waterfall. If some day JT65 disappears, we shall see only a cloud of dots.

          2) Sent reports : sometimes S9, sometimes -20. Nothing else, whatever I
          receive. Same complaints this morning from other users.

          If it can help...

          73 Jean F8RZ
        • Andy obrien

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 20, 2010
              Andy obrien wrote:
              > Where are you finding the signals? I have not seen any yet

              I left my rig on 14.076 and saw a number of signals this morning had
              been recorded.

              Will post a few later, off to take grand-daughter home now.

              Dave (G0DJA)
            • Andy obrien
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 20, 2010
                I'm on 14076.25 in between football matches this morning , will leave
                software on during the matches to see if I pick up anyone.

                Andy K3Uk

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 20, 2010
                  TOL = 400

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 20, 2010
                    Andy obrien wrote:
                    > TOL = 400

                    Yes, I left TOL at 400 as well, deciding that I could tweak later once I
                    had something actually received 1st.

                    Still trying to get used to the TxDF system as I've become spoilt by the
                    way JT65-HF implements this feature, and I'm now having to chase a
                    station as he seems to move up and down the passband as well...

                    First decoded last night were

                    220300 6 -16 2.6 -203 3* I2XDI DJ7AL JO61 2 0
                    220500 4 -19 2.7 -87 3* WB5NMZ WD4GBW FM17 2 0
                    220700 6 -16 1.1 -87 3* WB5NMZ WD4GBW 2 0
                    223200 28 -3 2.6 -94 2* CQ I2XDI JN45 2 0
                    223600 71 5 2.6 -95 2* CQ I2XDI JN45 2 0

                    I wont list the whole lot as it would get boring.

                    I did manage to crash WSJT8 by clicking to the left of the -800 mark in
                    SpecJT but I can't recreate the problems, so not sure if it was a
                    coincidence and the program shut down for some other reason. The error
                    message said "Runtime Error" and after quoting the file location for
                    WSJT8 "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an
                    unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more
                    information." but no other clues as to what went wrong.

                    Dave (G0DJA)
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 20, 2010
                      Many thanks to all who have sent reports on their tests with WSJT8.
                      Here's an early summary of what people are discovering.

                      1. On first startup you must select your audio devices, then exit the
                      program and restart. Yes, it's in the manual ...

                      2. ISCAT appears to be an excellent mode for 6 meters. Many QSOs were
                      made with it yesterday. As far as I have heard, its performance is
                      excellent -- better than JT6M. I was pleased yesterday to have my CQs
                      on 50.260 answered by many stations... astonishingly, including KF6JEP
                      in DM12, 2400 miles away. Of course this must have been double-hop Es
                      -- or perhaps "chord-hop" Es? -- rather than ionoscatter. Signals were
                      barely audible, if at all. Copy was "all or nothing", as expected for
                      the FEC used in ISCAT. No other west-coast stations were heard at the
                      time (or at any other time yesterday).

                      3. Some have reported good results with JTMS for meteor scatter on 6m
                      and 2m. Others have not had good results. If you have WAV files with
                      decent JTMS pings, whether they decoded or not, please send me a few.

                      4. JT64 and JT8 work very well at HF, although the program operating
                      features are a bit clunky. (That can easily be fixed; right now, I'm
                      most interested in testing the modes themselves.)

                      Neither JT64 nor JT8 works for EME -- at least, not in WSJT8r1944.
                      Could it be that I have not allowed enough DT range to accopmmodate the
                      2.5 s EME delay?? Probably this, or something else stupid, is
                      preventing EME decodes. Or, perhaps, the tone spacing is too close for
                      these modes to work without some software AFC ? It seems that I have
                      some work to do. If you have a few files with good EME signals in JT64
                      or JT8, please send them to me for analysis.

                      I'm traveling for part of next week, but will post messages here when
                      there is news to share.

                      Thanks again for your help in testing the experimental modes in WSJT8.

                      -- 73, Joe, K1JT
                    • Dave Ackrill
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 20, 2010
                        Joe Taylor wrote:

                        > My working hypothesis is that the new modes in WSJT8 offer significant
                        > advantages over those in WSJT7 — and that it will probably make sense to
                        > recommend a complete switch-over some months from now. For that
                        > transition to happen in an orderly fashion, we’ll need a widely held
                        > consensus that the change is for the better.

                        Dear Joe, and assembled enthusiasts and Radio Amateurs,

                        Whether or not they offer significant advantages is, obviously, open to
                        testing, recommendation and debate. That's the technical part and I
                        would have to say, even though that is not going to be very easy to do
                        and will be a significant technical challenge for those with the
                        knowledge and programming skills to implement the necessary changes, it
                        will probably be the least difficult part to manage than changing over
                        to WSJT8 modes in "an orderly fashion"...

                        For a start we, as Radio Amateurs, don't communicate between ourselves
                        very well, in my experience. New releases of software take time to
                        propagate even through people who are active on the modes and keep
                        abreast of latest versions. Then there's always the few that catch up
                        late, buy a CD-ROM at a rally that's full of software that is over two
                        years old and who come to the party without knowing, or even caring
                        about the dress code...

                        On HF, look at how many still have DT values of 4.0 or worse, the ones
                        who call CQ for hours and no one replies to because their signals are so
                        poor in quality, but seem to subsist on the few people who do reply and
                        carry on regardless of attempts to contact them to advise them of how
                        their operating might be altered to the benefit of themselves and
                        everyone else.

                        We are already experiencing, on 20M at least, the mix of WSJT8 and WSJT7
                        because there's another program called JT65-HF about and in widespread
                        use. That will continue to be used, of course, and I doubt whether the
                        majority of people who use it would move to WSJT8 instead. So, someone
                        may need to write and develop JT64-HF and encourage users to move to the
                        new program. The fact that WSJT7 and 8 do not have easy to set up
                        interfaces to the RB and/or PSKR systems will do nothing to encourage
                        the users of systems like those put up by w6cqz and others to swap over
                        to WSJT8 modes, in my opinion.

                        I made a flippant remark earlier about ADIF, but it is becoming an issue
                        in a much wider area than just WSJT use.

                        Now, personally I don't use LoTW, eQSL etc., but many people do. I do,
                        however, use a computer based logbook instead of a paper based one. The
                        problem now is that even the WSJT7 modes are not fully covered for all
                        of the sub-modes under the WSJT modes (I make do with JT65, JT44 and
                        FSK441 at present) but how long will it take before the ADIF 'standard'
                        catches up with WSJT8 and then how long before even the well known
                        logbook programs can cope, let alone any of the older or smaller programs?

                        I would guess that the people at ADIF and various logbook programs will,
                        not unreasonably, ask why they should include WSJT8 now when it's all
                        very experimental and they have not yet even sorted out the designations
                        for WSJT7 modes anyway?

                        There is another alternative, which some people wont like because they
                        would not be able to designate sub-sub modes, of using the IARU
                        letter/number/letter designators instead. But, as I say, people would
                        then want to separate out JT65A from JT64A etc., in their tabulations of
                        who they worked on what mode, I would guess?

                        Dave (G0DJA)
                      • nw_ebw@MMMonVHF.de
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 20, 2010
                          Am 20.06.2010 17:40, schrieb Joe Taylor:

                          > Many thanks to all who have sent reports on their tests with WSJT8.

                          New FORUM Place on your VHF-DX-Portal MMMonVHF

                          as well as others of course the Team members of MMMonVHF was testing
                          the new BETA version of WSJT 8. We all did make our first steps and
                          experieces and have first off all give some regards and a "big thank
                          you" to Joe, K1JT, for again offering new tools to the community!

                          MMMonVHF will offer now a place at our FORUM (calls "WSJT"):

                          http://www.mmmonvhf.de/minibb/index.php?action=vtopic&forum=14

                          to have some hints, have some coment and have some discussion
                          platform about NEW and OLD versions! We did start today with the
                          recommendation abt. the 3-4 old versions which are still in use
                          on 144 MHZ EME and MS - there are big differences and so each of
                          these versions will have its own adavantage!

                          After we do place the Mail from yesterday and wish to start than
                          with the results of the MMMonVHF Users, we will pass the infos
                          later to Joe and maybe he is able to use the one or other idea
                          or have some solution abt some faults which did occure...

                          Have fun at the new FORUM Page "WSJT"

                          Mit freundlichem Gruß / best regards

                          73 de Guy (Guido) D L 8 E B W
                          QTH: JO31NF / DL66a MMMonVHF
                          VHF-DX: MS & EME in WSJT & HSCW

                          Member of the Team of MMMonVHF
                          http://www.MMMonVHF.de

                          We do spread weekly VHF-DX-Newsletter
                          www.mmmonvhf.de/nletter/newsletter.php
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 20, 2010
                            On 6/20/2010 11:40 AM, Joe Taylor wrote:

                            > Neither JT64 nor JT8 works for EME -- at least, not in WSJT8r1944.
                            > Could it be that I have not allowed enough DT range to accommodate the
                            > 2.5 s EME delay?? Probably this, or something else stupid, is
                            > preventing EME decodes.

                            The mystery of JT64 failing to decode on EME has been solved. Indeed,
                            the programmer foolishly did not allow enough range in DT, on the plus
                            side. ;-)

                            With the appropriate correction, nearly all of the JT64 EME files sen to
                            me, and the ones I saved myself, decode properly.

                            I have some additional changes to make, as well. I'll be away from next
                            Wednesday through Sunday, but I might have another release ready for
                            people to try before I leave. Otherwise, look for an update about a
                            week from now.

                            In the meantime, I will appreciate receiving more feedback (and wave
                            files) from users of JTMS and ISCAT modes.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 21, 2010
                              Hi All,

                              Many new reports on the WSJT8 modes over the past 24 hours. Thanks to
                              all for the helpful comments, suggestions, and wave files!

                              JTMS and ISCAT:
                              ---------------

                              Most reports on ISCAT say it works well. Decoder is too slow, perhaps.
                              That can (and will) be improved -- probably by a lot. More examples
                              of wave files are needed, examples of both good and poor performance.

                              Reports on JTMS are more variable. Some say it works great, seems to
                              decode well, produces few junk messages. Others say that they prefer
                              FSK441's ability to decode partial messages, especially very short ones,
                              and that they could complete a QSO more quickly with the older mode.
                              This is exactly the sort of information that's needed.

                              EU users: please take note that the message templates can be edited to
                              whatever you like; and yes, of course it will be possible to turn off
                              the shorthand message feature.

                              JT64 and JT8:
                              -------------

                              Today I established that in WSJT8r1944 the JT8 decoder, like the JT64
                              decoder, does not search over enough range in DT to synchronize EME
                              signals. My fault; all of the tests before last weekend had been on
                              terrestrial paths.

                              This was easily fixed. All JT64 and JT8 EME-path files sent to me now
                              decode as they should.

                              I might package another release tomorrow, so that people can make a few
                              more EME tests. If you do this, please:

                              1. Send me a few more example wave files.

                              2. Do not be surprised if JT64 or JT8 still fails to decode, when you're
                              pretty sure that JT65B would have been OK. As I've mentioned before,
                              the decoders for these experimental modes are certainly not in final
                              form. They may be slow, they don't compensate for frequency drift, ...
                              etc. It's necessary to walk before we can run.

                              Again: the main purposes of these very early tests of the experimental
                              modes in WSJT8 are two-fold:

                              1. To generate some real-world wave files, to be used for optimizing the
                              decoders.

                              2. To gather evidence on whether each new experimental mode has the
                              potential to be better than the one it might replace. I have no
                              particular stake in a YES or NO answer in each case. If the answer
                              turns out to be no, well and good: future effort can be shifted over to
                              further performance enhancements for the existing modes.

                              If we knew the answers to experiments in advance, there would be no
                              point in doing the experiments!

                              Please keep the reports and wave files coming...

                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 9, 2010
                                To: Users of WSJT
                                From: Joe Taylor, K1JT

                                A beta release of WSJT 9.0 is now available for free download on the
                                WSJT Home Page.

                                Briefly stated, WSJT 9.0 offers:

                                1. A new mode called ISCAT, which replaces JT6M
                                2. EME Echo mode
                                3. Enhanced features and performance for FSK441
                                4. Optional T/R period of 15 s for FSK441 and ISCAT
                                5. Enhanced user-editable message templates for FSK441 and ISCAT
                                6. Calculation of EME Doppler spread caused by lunar librations
                                7. Some simplification and clarification of the user interface.

                                More details can be found in the "WSJT 9.0 Supplement to User's Guide",
                                available at

                                http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT_9.0_Supplement.pdf

                                A full WSJT 9.0 User's Guide is in the works, but not yet available.

                                Go here http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html to find
                                the WSJT 9.0 download link.

                                After gaining some experience with the beta release of WSJT 9.0,
                                please share your views and opinions about it! Of course, bug reports
                                are also welcome.

                                -- 73, Joe, K1JT
                              • Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 9, 2010
                                  To add to Joe's announcement of the WSJT 9.0 public Beta:

                                  The "WSJT 9.0 Supplement to User's Guide" document currently on Joe's website doesn't yet cover a lot of the details of what changed in the WSJT User Interface -- and it was quite a bit! I'm writing additional material that will be part of the 9.0 Supplement PDF by Friday evening. If you have questions about some of the obvious changes in the user interface, they WILL be covered in the 9.0 Supplement very soon -- but they aren't there yet. Just be aware of this.

                                  73,
                                  Bill W5WVO

                                  Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2010 16:08
                                  Subject: [wsjtgroup] Beta release of WSJT 9.0

                                  To: Users of WSJT

                                    Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2010 16:08

                                    To: Users of WSJT

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 15, 2010
                                      Thanks to Giorgio, IK1UWL, an Italian translation of the "WSJT 9.0
                                      Supplement to User's Guide" is now available. A link has been placed on
                                      the WSJT web site:

                                      http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html

                                      ... or you may click on a direct link to the Italian version,

                                      http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT_9.0_Supplement_Italian.pdf

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 16, 2010
                                        To all WSPR users:

                                        I am currently experimenting with a WSPR version that controls and
                                        operates radios like the SoftRock RxTx Ensemble.

                                        With WSPR 2.1 you can check a box labeled "Enable I/Q mode" on the
                                        Advanced Setup screen. The program will then use 2-channel sampling at
                                        48000 Hz for both input and output. Your SoftRock sends its I/Q baseband
                                        signal to the computer's soundcard input; the soundcard output, also in
                                        I/Q format, goes to the SoftRock's Tx audio port. T/R switching is
                                        accomplished over the USB port. You need no other software such as Rocky
                                        or PowerSDR, and there's no need for anything like Virtual Audio Cables.
                                        Setup is extremely simple.

                                        Over the past several days I've been running an early version of WSPR
                                        2.1, in Rx-only mode. Right now I'm running in Tx-only mode, Txing 33%
                                        of the time, on 30 meters. It seems to get out well. I'll probably
                                        finish the T/R switching code and be in full operation within a day or so.

                                        I'm writing now to ask if there are others who have the necessary
                                        hardware -- a SoftRock RxTx Ensemble, or possibly other more-or-less
                                        equivalent systems -- and would be interested in testing WSPR 2.1. If
                                        you'd like to participate, please email me off list (k1jt at arrl dot
                                        net) and let me know what hardware you have.