Re: [wsjtgroup] WSJT and Ubuntu 10.04 works good here

  • Peter Frenning
    Message 1 of 4 , May 14, 2010
      fre, 14 05 2010 kl. 21:26 -0500, skrev Chuck:

      Hi All,

      I've done very little WSJT lately after many years of activity. Shortly before my activity dwindled, I was using Linux Ubuntu 8.?? and had installed it the hard way (compiling, etc _ stuff i don't understand that well) with help of an overseas ham (sorry i don't remember your name). I tried to install it through the Ubuntu installer but it would not work (a seemingly known issue among the ubuntu forums). Then i upgraded to 9.?? and the compiled working install of WSJT quite working. So what i was using of WSJT, i used under XP.

      Anyway, i upgraded Ubuntu yesterday to 10.04 and decided to install WSJT through the Ubuntu Software Center (the easy click here way :-)) just to see what would happened. After adjusting audio levels, etc, It seems to work great! Maybe the bugs have been ironed out for the most part? Your mileage may vary i'm sure but works great here!

      Chuck
      AF4O

      As far as that takes you chuck - fine, but it is a very old version. The one available on the WSJT home page is several years newer and much changed and improved.

      I'm currently running WSJT 7 and WSPR 2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 and both are running great. I do admit that installation could be simpler and more intitive, but that's being worked I hear.

      Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

      ** Genius is one per cent inspiration, **
      ** and ninety-nine per cent            **
      ** perspiration.                       **
      **               -- Thomas A. Edison   **
      email: peter(no-spam filler)@...
      http://www.frenning.dk/oz1pif.htm
      Ph. +45 4619 3239
      Snailmail:
      Peter Frenning
      Ternevej 23
      DK-4130 Viby Sj.
      Denmark

    • Chuck

        Message 3 of 4 , May 15, 2010
          Hi Matthew.

          Yes i like Ubuntu also, it just nearly always works, period. I like that. I do have XP on another hard drive which i can boot into but rarely use it. Just for that program or two that Ubuntu doesn't run. After many years of Windoz slowing down, crapping out, popping up odd windows, and just outright failing at times, Ubuntu is GREAT. I just don't get why most users would put up with that mess.

          But much of the secret maybe that viruses and malware are written for Windoz. So maybe if Ubuntu got really popular they may write malicious code for it? We might ought to keep Ubuntu secret :-) That would be selfish would it not?

          Yes i've seen the had distro and tried an older version once. I also use Ubuntu with PSK31 and other modes sometimes.

          73
          Chuck
          AF4O

          On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 20:01 -0700, Matthew wrote:
          Hi Chuck I am also using Ubuntu 10.04 and I am loving it! Looks like I am going to drop XP all together on my laptop. On the topic of Linux and ham radio, did you know there is a distro geared for Ham Radio? Check this is out you can even run it as a live cd. http://hamshack-hack.sourceforge.net/  and the down load for the ham shack live cd http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Operating-Systems/Linux-Distributions/Harv-s-Hamshack-Hack-8515.shtml

          Have fun!

          73

          Matthew Lawson

          KC7EQO