Proposed contest protocol for comment...

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14, 2010
      Duffey KK6MC wrote:

      If we want this to happen, and I think that all the contesters on the list
      do, we should promote it on the VHF contesting list. Someone, Tip or
      Marshall perhaps, should suggest it and the rest of us should support it,
      and when we post our contest plans to the VHF Contesting we should say that
      we are using the weak signal protocol. Or whatever we decide to call it

      Duffey, since this protocol was developed on the WSJTGROUP list, I suggest
      calling it "The WSJTGROUP weak signal protocol for contests. (This was
      buried in the wsjtgroup webpages for some time...)

      We can post this to the wsjtgroup webpage, are their any recommendations /
      changes?

      Also, I am not a member of any contesting links but we should make every
      attempt to post the final protocol to these groups.

      comments ...
      tip

      Proposed protocol for comment...
      The WSJTGROUP weak signal protocol.

      This protocol is for the January / September & June Contests.

      When the band is dead at your location or late night / early morning hours:

      1. Even UTC hours - first 45 minutes call CQ using the offset method on six
      meters or monitor the call frequency 50.260MHz.
      2. Odd UTC hours - first 45 minutes call CQ using the offset method on two
      meters or monitor the call frequency 144.140MHz

      Suggestions:
      1. Single band stations may use both hours.
      2. Attempt to qsy 'easy' contacts to another band including 220 MHz.
      3. Listen for stations who might "tailend" your contacts and always use your
      grid as reports.
      4. If a frequency is occupied use appended messages.
      5. Do not include your Grid in your Tx1 Message since it might be confused
      as a "rpt".
      6. When attempted contacts runs past the focus window time, continue till
      complete.
      7. When someone has called you, don't give up too early. A good rule of
      thumb is; if you decoded both calls the contact 'should be' completed, just
      hang in there.
      8. Idle time 45 minutes after the hour till the top of the hour take a break
      or check the ssb call frequency for new initials.