Re: Digital meteor scatter contacts are very difficult to do randomly

  • wb3bel
    Message 1 of 10 , May 12 9:39 AM
      I read Gene's article in QST and think it is not exactly correct.

      Making random MS contacts using WSJT is not hard...

      But the context of his comments were, I believe, related to VHF contesting and postings on the contesting.com VHF reflector. From that perspective I think that his comment is true even if not precisely accurate. Making WSJT MS contacts has not so far significantly added to VHF contest scores. The contacts can be time consuming.

      Gene has a ton of experience with VHF contesting. He was a key member of the massively successful K8GP contest team from Spruce Knob WV and more recently from VA. I am not sure of all the details, but K8GP in its heyday did run WSJT at night on 6m and perhaps also on 2m. I think that some of his comments may be based on observations of the productivity of this mode at K8GP (My speculation). I think that the great location and station setup of K8GP meant that they could almost continuously find new stations to work via Tropo, Es, Au, Ionoscatter etc. A KW to stacked beams on an east coast mountaintop with operators on all bands 6 to 24 GHz means that their strategy to win was work everyone and try to work them on every band they had. Find them on 2 or 6 and move them to the microwaves where the points add up fast. They had tropo range exceeding 600 miles in a lot of cases.

      I don't think that anyone will win an ARRL Jan or Sep with WSJT ALONE. It might be a deciding factor to add grids but I am not really 100% convinced. I would not be surprised to see a station that uses MS win a close race, but it could easily be that a station working CW or SSB or JT65 could be more productive. I think a big EME station can work stations faster via the moon than via MS.

      When calling CQ on WSJT I think you have to keep the antenna pointed at a beam heading for a long time. Perhaps 10 mins or so within the antenna beamwidth. When calling CQ on CW or SSB you can almost continuously move the beam and this seems more productive. If more stations were on WSJT that would be less of a factor. This is more important on 2m than 6m obviously.

      Another factor to huge VHF superstations is that the calling frequency becomes congested. Their Tropo or Ionoscatter range is so huge that they can hear lots of stations direct. This can be avoided to a degree by operating U/D but this is very confusing to many MS operators who don't understand it. Even if you do understand it, its easy to make mistakes in the middle of the night. Turning off split, calculating the right frequency etc...It also makes the CQ message sequence longer which is somewhat counterproductive to short pings. It's not bad, it just seems like there might be a better way.

      I think a better technical solution to this problem is a wideband receiver like MAP65 but for MS. Stations can be decoded in perhaps 50 or 100 KHz spectrum bandwidth. If the decoder would switch modes between FSK441, JT65 etc automatically it might also be nice. You could call CQ and work both weak terrestrial as well as MS. Many ops can hear and switch back and forth between 441a and JT6m. But you might not hear the weak JT65 guys. It's usually way faster to work someone weak Tropo, or airplane scatter than via MS.

      I think that a superstation could build a multichannel RX that monitored for digital signals while in RX mode even if operating conventional modes and get some extra points. This is similar to operating SO2r although the rules regarding digital skimmer-like devices seem to divide the contesting community.

      I have run WSJT during CQWW VHF as a rover where the two band format may mean that WSJT MS could make a difference in the winner. All those contacts were random. I personally feel that it is not a productive contest strategy for rovers. At night I should get to another grid rather than spending hours to make a handful of QSOs. But I enjoy MS! So it's fun and I still do it even if its a bad strategy. It's a lot more fun to me than tearing down antennas and hitting the highway at 1 or 2 am. It would be a lot more fun if there were more stations active. Also the prime MS early morning hours are also the best Tropo conditions so you have to make a tradeoff.

      One good thing about MS operations during a contest is if you are just participating to have fun, you can activate a grid and be sure to work someone via SSB or CW even if the rocks are stinko. I have done this a few times as well. If you drive a few hundred miles to a grid you would like to work someone. This is really fun especially during the June contest. Work the Es until it quits and then play on MS. Maybe not a winning strategy. But its a fun maximizer...

      I agree that the calling frequency can support a lot of people calling CQ simultaneously. I think that it could support more than a hundred small stations geographically distributed. I'd like to see more people try. When I am in the shack I often have the RX on the call freq and WSJT running. Anyone can work randoms on 6m. On 2m and above, you need a better station and location to makes lots of random contacts.

      A random contact is in no way better than a scheduled one. But the element of surprise in decoding a mystery station does increase the fun factor for some operators. Also, not all the activity is on the PJ or cluster pages. If you don't look for randoms you will miss QSOs. For example I worked K2DRH random on 6m from the Somerset Rest Area on the PA turnpike on the FN00 FM09 boundary during a travel break. You never know who will turn up...
      73, Harry WB3BEL
    • Al
      Message 2 of 10 , May 12 10:16 AM
        Hi Tip, Marshall and Les:
        Here are my feelings about the 'hard' HSMS schedule. Bruce (N5SIX) and I had one during our K5N operations from EL58.
        Tip hit the nail on the head in his "my thoughts" paragraph.
        The no shows were a problem. Some had already worked us via SSB so didn't show up. Others maybe showed up, but had no rocks. For whatever reason, we would have 30+ minutes of nothing. Since we were on a published QRG, (being a gridpedition) my thoughts now would be to just call CQ on that frequency. Come one, come all!
        You will note that the HSMS operation from DL88 and 89 are on 50.150, not the calling frequency.
        There is one advantage: You know which way to point your antenna.

        Of course his "a better plan" applies to individual stations, not a gridpedition. I don't have anything to contribute on that subject. That paragraph does bring up another thought: WHY would anyone include their grid in their CQ message (on HSMS)? If one uses standard messages, you will note that it is not there. Tip and others have tried to instill this SOP ever since I got into this HSMS aspect of ham radio.

        Best 73,
        AL
        WA4EWV

        Message 3 of 10 , May 12 10:34 AM
          Harry, group;

          I did the math several years ago for W2FU M/M during the September and January looking at the FSK441 score improvement. As I recall, we did entirely random operation on 6m, lots of 2m getting people to QSY and maybe five or six 2m schedules, and one 222 Q from a QSY (we could work K0AWU on 222 any time so we just QSYed up from 6m--just the right geometry) and probably came out with 25-30 Q's, most of them multipliers. This was all between midnight and 6am. I think it ended up being something like 15% of the score if you take out the Q's, but I'd have to go back an look it up. The opportunity cost (what we could have worked if not using WSJT) for these was minimal for several reasons, which I'm happy to elaborate if anyone is interested. Certainly the opportunity cost is dependent upon local operator activity, etc. The only thing out at these hours were rovers that we could easily take time out to work. I would speculate that the score increase from WSJT has the potential to be higher for limited multis, and probably inversely proportional to the amount of VHF+ activity you have near you.

          I think maximizing contest points using WSJT is an information/software problem, not so much one that we need to throw more hardware at. In other words, I think many stations already have the technology to do this, but we haven't put it together in the right way yet. I like the idea of a wideband receiver for WSJT for contesting, kinda like a correlarry to the MAP65 software for JT65. Since you can open up many conventional radios to 10 or 12 KHz passband we should be able to build a software decoder that runs a wide passband (say, one decoder every KHz) without the need for a completely new radio. Heck, even a $20 softrock RX could do this part. If you have conventional radio with two VFOs, like on an FT-1000MP, thats 24 KHz of band that you can see at once (12 KHz each channel), and you don't have to buy anything new. Any modern off-the-shelf PC (the cheapest one you can buy new) should be able to crunch this much information in near real time (see CW skimmer).

          Another thing to consider: I don't see why FSK441 QSOs have to happen sequentially if there was a good way to address messages to particular stations in parallel. Since the timing of the meteor pings is different for stations separated by only tens of miles, it seems reasonable that you could work people in parallel if there were a good protocol for doing so. Whether this would require a fundamental change to the FSK441 code or just a bit of operating practice and user interface layered on top of the existing code would have to be worked out. There is a time savings available here of at least a couple orders of magnitude, I think. No waiting around.

          Anyway, I think these are some good problem to solve for those of you who play engineer, whether that's a day job or not.

          Cheers,
          Andy K0SM/2

          Message 4 of 10 , May 12 11:09 AM

            Random contacts can be hard if you do not know what you are doing.   ;-)

            NG9R

            Message 5 of 10 , May 12 11:28 AM
              Al,

              Thanks for sharing the experience during K5N. I wondered if that was no announcement had been made about setting up HSMS skeds during the DL88 and 89 effort.

              I can see where "no shows" are a huge problem for grid-expeditions, especially if Internet access is not available. On the other hand, I can see where tools like Ping-Jockey are a major benefit if Internet is an option. You avoid the "no-shows" and don't waste time looking for stations who are not present.

              I benefited from my schedule with K5N, and worked the station via JT65A mode. This contact literally would not have been possible otherwise, due to my indoor antennas. I never once heard a trace from K5N despite listening to hours and hours on the SSB frequency. I did hear the pile-up many times, and listened to some other locals work the expedition, but I never once could copy a signal from the operation.

              Arecibo was a different story--I heard them on SSB, CW, and WSJT many times using a 13 element Yagi in my driveway. But with only 100 watts, there was no chance of them working me without WSJT. Granted, they were able to work a lot more stations by using SSB/CW, and I understand why they made choice.

              I also understand why the K5N group group will rely on SSB/CW for the bulk of their effort. But I'm glad to see your team not only using WSJT, but making it a featured part of the operation. Let's face it, even in June, you could see the entire event pass without any E-Skip. I doubt that will be the case, but if it does, you can still work 100's of stations on WSJT, if operators are fluent in the mode.

              I'd just love to see Gene become a bit more informed about the mode, before making more pronouncements from on high. VHF isn't the same in the rest of the country as it is in New England---and I wish some in Newington would get that point.

              Some of the best op's I've ever known are very active on HSMS, and I'd love to see someone take a few months to get to know them before writing about us. I can't help but wonder how many ops have W3ZZ in their logs on one of the WSJT modes? I can't imagine it's a high number.

              73,

              Les Rayburn, N1LF

              Les Rayburn, Director
              High Noon Film
              130 1st Avenue West
              Alabaster, AL  35007-8536
              205.621.7500
              205.621.7505 FAX
              205.253.4867 CELL
              http://www.highnoonfilm.com

              Message 6 of 10 , May 12 12:31 PM
                Hello again Les, Marshall and Tip... this time including Norm, N6JV
                Let there be no confusion. I was part of the K5N group at EL58. I am not a part of the group going to DL88 and 89.
                I do not know if the lack of an announcement soliciting schedules for HSMS was because of the desire not to have a hard schedule or for some other reason. I do know that they are going to have to be careful with power management. I don't know how long they are going to have to let their car engines idle to charge the battery bank. All night? I do know that when I was doing a lot of HF work from my 26 foot boat in the Bahamas, I installed a 100 amp alternator to replace the dinky little one that came with the engine!

                Good luck to the group going, and good luck to all in catching these two rare ones.
                AL
                WA4EWV