Activating DL88 and DL89

  • Marshall Williams
    Message 1 of 2 , May 7 7:02 PM
      The K5N Activation group wishes to make the following announcement.
      Please feel free to forward this to anyone that you think might be
      interested. Thanks....the K5N Activation Group.

      ACTIVATING DL88 and DL89

      The K5N saga continues! The K5N Activation Group has applied for a
      "Special Use Permit" from the Big Bend National Park to activate DL88 on
      6M. DL88 is a very rare grid located at the very bottom of the Park.
      We have received a verbal OK from a Park official on our permit.
      However, the Park has a "No generators in the Outback" rule, so we will
      not be able to run a generator while we are in the Park. We plan to use
      two large battery banks--running from one and charging the other from a
      vehicle alternator.

      We will be operating from campsite Talley2 in the Park, which is just
      South of the DL88 line. Talley2 is located at DL88jx just off Talley
      Road. We will be using an ICOM Pro2 with a TE Systems brick amp and a
      6M5X antenna. We will NOT have Internet or cell phone coverage, but
      there is a 2M repeater in the area that belongs to the Big Bend Amateur
      Radio Club. We are hoping that we can get someone from their club to
      help us put messages out on the Internet. After the DL88 operation, we
      will activate DL89.

      Team members for this trip are Bill-K5YG, Danny-N5OMG, Bill-N5YA, and
      Marshall-K5QE. Our support crew will include Joey-W5TFW(QSL Mgr) and
      JD-N0IRS(Webmaster and video editor). The on-site group wishes to thank
      Joey and JD for all their help and support. JD will be building us a
      web site for this summer's trip. If you or your group wishes to help
      sponsor this trip, look to the web site when JD gets it up-check the KC
      Grid Bandits site for a link.

      Here is the basic schedule of events:

      June 28--N5YA and K5QE drive to Big Bend National Park. We will be
      roving as we go, making as many contacts as possible. Antenna will be a
      loop. Call will be K5QE/R. QRG = 50.150MHz SSB. K5YG and N5OMG drive
      to the Park from the New Orleans area.
      June 29--Drive to DL88 and set up camp. We expect to be operational
      by about Noon....give or take.
      June 30--Operate from DL88.
      July 1--Operate from DL88 until about 3PM. Break camp and drive
      out of the park. K5YG and N5OMG return home.
      July 2--N5YA and K5QE will operate from DL89wx. This will be a
      daytime operation only.
      July 3--N5YA and K5QE drive home, roving as we go. Call will be
      K5QE/R on 50.150MHz.

      While in DL88 and DL89, we will operate on 50.150MHz SSB/CW. If the
      band is "dead" for Es, we will operate FSK441(First Sequence always),
      also on 50.150MHz. This is the same frequency we used in EL58. Because
      of the battery power problem, we may not be able to operate all night
      long on MS. We may have to conserve battery power by shutting down in
      the late evening and charging both our battery packs. In any case, we
      intend to be on MS in the early AM hours.

      PLEASE do NOT spend time trying to get your grid across!!! Give us an
      RS(T) report and let us go on to another caller. Please do not try to
      make duplicate contacts "just in case". The logging software will not
      permit this and it just wastes other people's time. Please DO work us
      in both DL88 and DL89 if the propagation permits. If we ask for the
      station that ends in YZ, please do NOT continue to call, unless your
      call actually ends in YZ!!! All the incessant calling just wastes time
      for everyone.

      To receive your QSL cards, please send Joey-W5TFW your card along with
      an SASE. NO SASE = NO QSL card!! It will take us a few weeks to get
      the cards printed, so it will take a while to get all the cards out.
      Please be patient....do NOT hassle Joey about your card. He will get
      them out ASAP.

      All email concerning this event should be addressed to
      k5n@..., NOT to our personal email addresses. While the
      basic parameters of this DXpedition are set, it is highly possible that
      there will be some changes made if the situation demands.

      We hope to work everyone possible, so listen up for us.

      73 de K5YG, N5OMG, N5YA, K5QE, W5TFW and N0IRS
    • k5qe
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 22, 2010
        Hello to all on the list....the K5N group is finalizing our trip to DL88 and DL89. We have acquired an old TV van with the pneumatic mast and are almost done with the preparations on the truck.

        We will be traveling on June 28th using K5QE/R as the call. We expect to be operational at DL88 on June 29th about Noon. We will operate on 50.150MHz for both SSB/CW and FSK441(in the evenings after Es is closed). Rig will be a Pro2, a 250W amp, and a M2 6M5XHP.

        We will leave DL88 at 3PM on July 1 and begin the long drive out. We will set up in DL89xw for only one day on July 2nd. On July 3rd, we will be driving home, signing K5QE/R as we go.

        We will have NO Internet and NO cell phones, however, we have arranged with some members of the BBARC to post messages for us on some of the Internet forums. They will be posting on Ping Jockey Central when we are doing meteor scatter. We will be posting on ON4KST and the FFMA reflector at other times.

        It will REALLY HELP if you guys will post us to your favorite forum when you hear us. That will keep other stations aware of what is happening. Especially let everyone know when we change from SSB/CW to FSK. Thanks for that.

        The K5N Group is hoping for a big operation and we hope we can work everyone that needs DL88/89. If we get some great propagation, like we had in the June contest, we will work a lot of stations. GL to everyone....

        NOTE: ALL WSJT operations will be on WSJT7.

        73 The K5N Activation Group
        K5YG-Bill
        N5OMG-Danny
        N5YA-Bill
        K5QE-Marshall

        Support staff
        W5TFW-Joey, QSL Manager
        N0IRS-JD of the Grid Bandits, Webmaster and Videographer