Re: [wsjtgroup] Time Update Via GPS

  • Dave Ackrill
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2010
      Dan Smith wrote:
      > I know I have seen a few posts about keeping time via GPS.. I tried for a while to get my Garmin GPS III with no luck..

      I have a Garmin GPS III+ and I wonder if the problem is that the output
      from that unit is NMEA sentences?

      The program would have to decode the NMEA and extract the time that way
      I would guess? Does anyone know of a utility, preferably a small one
      that did not take up too many resources for portable operation with a
      laptop, please?

      Thanks - Dave (G0DJA)
    • Dave Ackrill
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2010
        Dave Ackrill wrote:
        > Dan Smith wrote:
        >> I know I have seen a few posts about keeping time via GPS.. I tried for a while to get my Garmin GPS III with no luck..
        >
        > I have a Garmin GPS III+ and I wonder if the problem is that the output
        > from that unit is NMEA sentences?

        Sorry, I just remembered that the NMEA output is selectable but the
        default option is designed for uploading and downloading waypoints, maps
        and tracks etc.

        So, you would also need to alter the output in the menus.

        Looking in the manual, there are 5 interface options;

        1. Garmin - proprietary format used to exchange waypoint, route,
        tracklog data with a PC or another GPS III+

        2. NMEA - input/output of NMEA 0183 version 2.0 data (often used for
        APRS etc)

        3. None - no input/output

        4. RTCM/NMEA - allows differential GPS (DGPS) input and NMEA output

        5. RTCM in - allows DGPS input using standard RTCM format. No output.

        So, any utility for setting the PC clock using a GPS III+ would need to
        be able to interface with one or other of the above options.

        Dave (G0DJA)