Time Update Via GPS

  • Dan Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2010
        I know I have seen a few posts about keeping time via GPS.. I tried for a while to get my Garmin GPS III with no luck..  But just the other day I got out my Microsoft Streets & Trips GPS out and tired it with a free program call "GPS TIME" If your interested let me know I will get the link.. Any way I just used the USB GPS that they use with Street & Trips.. I ran the software and then ran it with GPS Time and it worked GREAT.. you can get an older Streets & Trips on eBay cheap.. As I said if your interested in the Time update program I will get you the link.. I know it was free... Just email me & I will get it for you... Hope this helps some of you..
      73
      Dan/KD7UFF

    • Dave Ackrill
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2010
        Dan Smith wrote:
        > I know I have seen a few posts about keeping time via GPS.. I tried for a while to get my Garmin GPS III with no luck..

        I have a Garmin GPS III+ and I wonder if the problem is that the output
        from that unit is NMEA sentences?

        The program would have to decode the NMEA and extract the time that way
        I would guess? Does anyone know of a utility, preferably a small one
        that did not take up too many resources for portable operation with a
        laptop, please?

        Thanks - Dave (G0DJA)
      • Dave Ackrill
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2010
          Dave Ackrill wrote:
          > Dan Smith wrote:
          >> I know I have seen a few posts about keeping time via GPS.. I tried for a while to get my Garmin GPS III with no luck..
          >
          > I have a Garmin GPS III+ and I wonder if the problem is that the output
          > from that unit is NMEA sentences?

          Sorry, I just remembered that the NMEA output is selectable but the
          default option is designed for uploading and downloading waypoints, maps
          and tracks etc.

          So, you would also need to alter the output in the menus.

          Looking in the manual, there are 5 interface options;

          1. Garmin - proprietary format used to exchange waypoint, route,
          tracklog data with a PC or another GPS III+

          2. NMEA - input/output of NMEA 0183 version 2.0 data (often used for
          APRS etc)

          3. None - no input/output

          4. RTCM/NMEA - allows differential GPS (DGPS) input and NMEA output

          5. RTCM in - allows DGPS input using standard RTCM format. No output.

          So, any utility for setting the PC clock using a GPS III+ would need to
          be able to interface with one or other of the above options.

          Dave (G0DJA)