Re: DTV $ DISH CONVERSION

  • wb8tgy
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2003
      --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "ART" <apucket3@y...> wrote:

      > HOW ABOUT IT GANG.
      >
      > IS THERE ANYONE WHO HAS DONE OR AT LEAST HEARD OF CONVERTING DTV,
      OR
      > DISH SMALL SATELLITE EQUIPTMENT TO USE IN HAM RELATED
      COMMUNICATION.
      > IF SO PLEASE POST INFO OR LINKS.
      >
      > THANK YOU
      >
      > ART K8FA/5

      The small 19 inch Direct TV type dish antennas work very well on the
      10GHz amateur radio band (I have been using one for the past two
      years for portable operations). There are plans on the internet for
      modifing the original feed for use at 10Ghz also (I am using a
      different feed horn to feed my dish). The antennas also work on the
      24GHz amateur radio band. I think some amateurs have been able to
      use the LNB on the orginal feed and turn them into a LNA (preamp for
      RX). I do know a couple of amateurs that have used the older banana
      shaped "Primstar" dish antennas for a portable antenna for 2.3, 3.4,
      5.7, and 10 GHz.

      Mark, WB8TGY
    • Lee Scott - AA1YN
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2003
        At 11:35 PM 12/10/2003 +0000, you wrote:

        >HOW ABOUT IT GANG.
        >
        >IS THERE ANYONE WHO HAS DONE OR AT LEAST HEARD OF CONVERTING DTV, OR
        >DISH SMALL SATELLITE EQUIPTMENT TO USE IN HAM RELATED COMMUNICATION.
        >IF SO PLEASE POST INFO OR LINKS.
        >
        >THANK YOU
        >
        >ART K8FA/5
        Art,

        I've been using the DSS dish with a highly modified DSS feedhorn for 10G
        for a couple of years now. These are very popular with the 10G and Up
        contesters and VHF contest rovers. You can see some of my info on
        http://www.aa1yn.com and click on the microwave link.

        Lee Scott - AA1YN
        Home of the VHF & Up Register http://www.aa1yn.com/vhf
        Hooksett, NH
        FN43gc52
      • Bob
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 11, 2003
          Message
          I converted mine into a wok. The really good news is I can transmit shrimp in garlic sauce in packet.
          Bob     kb1enb
          > IS THERE ANYONE WHO HAS DONE OR AT LEAST HEARD OF CONVERTING DTV,
          OR
          > DISH SMALL SATELLITE EQUIPTMENT TO USE IN HAM RELATED
          COMMUNICATION.
          > IF SO PLEASE POST INFO OR LINKS.
          >
          > THANK YOU
          >
          > ART K8FA/5

          The small 19 inch Direct TV type dish antennas work very well on the
          10GHz amateur radio band (I have been using one for the past two
          years for portable operations).  There are plans on the internet for
          modifing the original feed for use at 10Ghz also (I am using a
          different feed horn to feed my dish).  The antennas also work on the
          24GHz amateur radio band.  I think some amateurs have been able to
          use the LNB on the orginal feed and turn them into a LNA (preamp for
          RX).  I do know a couple of amateurs that have used the older banana
          shaped "Primstar" dish antennas for a portable antenna for 2.3, 3.4,
          5.7, and 10 GHz.

          Mark, WB8TGY

          To unsubscribe, send an email to: