Re: [wsjtgroup] Best Terrestrial Mode for WSJT on 2M?

  • Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2010
      Hi Duffey,

      You can't really talk about "WSJT" being this or that, because each WSJT mode has different hard-coded capabilities and limitations. On FSK441 for meteor scatter, for example, you can send whatever plain-text message you type in, like a 6-character grid locator. In JT65, there are certain limitations depending on how you choose to use it. Having said that, while I'm a pretty experienced FSK441 m/s operator, I'm NOT an experienced JT65 terrestrial operator. I'll let others comment on the use of JT65[A/B/C] in terms of random contest contacts. I don't think it's used much in VHF contesting, but I could be mistaken. Most WSJT contest work I know about is meteor scatter on 6 and 2 meters using FSK441, or (during the summer) sporadic-E using JT6M.

      Random (I.e., non-shower) meteor scatter is at its lowest ebb right now in its yearly cycle, and will gradually start to get better, peaking in the late summer and autumn. Making random contacts on m/s is done on the calling frequencies (50.260, 144.140), ideally using the up/down method in the CQ (e.g., "U5" or "D8"), but this is not necessarily the best use of contest time -- not unless there is actually some decent m/s propagation going on, which sure isn't the case right now. Random contacts simply take too long both to find and to complete when m/s conditions are as poor as they are presently, especially longer-distance contacts. This is doubly true when using a typical portable setup (non-QRO power, smaller antennas).

      If skeds are legal in these Sprints (I don't know), it would definitely be an advantage, bordering on necessity, to set up a "dance card" in advance for FSK441 m/s and/or JT65 tropo/ionoscatter attempts. Depending on one's RF footprint (power/antenna), multi-multi contest operations typically make advance m/s skeds on 15-minute to 30-minute intervals. A portable station would certainly not want to allocate less than 30 minutes per scheduled attempt. I'm assuming real-time scheduling (i.e., Ping Jockey) is not allowed -- but again, I don't know a lot about these particular contests.

      Bill W5WVO

      Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2010 12:30 PM
      Subject: [wsjtgroup] Best Terrestrial Mode for WSJT on 2M?

      I will be roving for the Spring Sprint and thought that it would be a good time to develop WSJT skills for future contesting.

      Does anyone have specific information on what is the best mode to use? I know that FSK441 will work for meteor scatter at longer distances and I have heard that JT65 is also a good mode for terrestrial work. Does anyone have specific experience with these modes, particularly contesting, that they can share? I am of course interested in what will result in a high QSO rate with good likelihood of making random QSOs.

      If the 2M Sprint experiment is successful with WSJT, I am also interested in similar experiences on 222, 432, and 1296. I have worked FSK441 on 6M from the rover and am familiar with that.

      The Sprints will use distance scoring, does WSJT support exchange of 6 alphanumeric long gridsquares? - Duffey
      --
      James Duffey KK6MC
      DM65tc